Is this “tortoise hay” worth the price and health?

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I’m talking about this stuff.

https://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay

It’s dead of winter here and I just got my first tort recently. I don’t even know where else I could get dried safe flowers and whatnot for her. I don’t want to feed just salads and aloe and cactus pads, I’m afraid it’s too much water for her (her poops are ever so slightly runny lately).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
YES! I use that product. Its well worth the money and a great way to add variety. You can sprinkle it on top of the grocery store greens to add some variety.

Your tortoise might not like it all that much at first, but in time they love it. Start by introducing it slowly. Only use tiny small amounts at first, and gradually add more as your tortoise accepts it. My Russians ate around it at first, but after a couple of weeks, they would seek it out and eat the herbal hay first. They didn't leave a single crumb.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
LOVE the stuff. I add some other ingredients to it like dried hibiscus flowers, plantain leaves etc...but you cannot beat the ease of instantly adding 20+ different plants to a torts diet in 1 sitting. My stars don’t like it dry, but add it to diced cactus, or softened Mazuri and they attack it.

Attachments

• EFB15BFD-3595-4A6E-808F-CEAB40ACE4B9.jpeg
    EFB15BFD-3595-4A6E-808F-CEAB40ACE4B9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26

SPILL

Illinois
Definitely worth it. I use it once or twice a week and then random combinations of my own leaves, flowers, and grasses the rest of the week except for on pellet days. I usually prepare the meals on the night before and leave them in the fridge overnight resulting in a nice fragrant plate of food the next day. Even my wife likes the smell of it. Like Tom my pancakes and stars didn't take to it right away but love it now. As an added bonus a pound lasts quite a while.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I tried it when Tyler first started selling it, and my tortoises didn't like it. But I have to admit, I didn't give it a good try. I only used it the one time, and when they didn't go for it, I gave it away. After looking at it again, I'd be willing to give it another go.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

It was the first thing I bought for my tortoise, back when I was buying everything in sight. :eek:

She didn’t care for it but she was outside with plenty of good foods so I didn’t sweat it. She also hibernates so I don’t need anything to mix into slim pickings in the winter. :)

It smells amazing; I turned it into a bath soak because I couldn’t bear to throw it away.

For the money, I think it’s smart for a single tortoise owner to go with a prepared mix like this; it’s better and easier than what you could do yourself and you get a ton of product for the price.