Is this a calcium deficiency or worse?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I posted a thread concerning this earlier, but it probably wouldn't get much responses if I added it there. My supposedly 10 month old hermann's tortoise has a soft plastron. I soaked her today, and noticed when I slightly push on it in pushes in. The center seems to be the worst place for it. Is this a calcium deficiency? If it is do I treat it by giving calcium supplements more?
Here is her care;
95 F basking spot, humidity usually 40%-50%, cool end usually 80's warm end 85, I sprinkle calcium supplement with D3 on her food twice a week, but I did it at the beginning of this week (Monday then Tuesday). I also soak her daily and she has a water dish available to her. It isn't hatchling failure syndrome is it? She is 2.5 inches, so I was hoping she was old enough that the threat of that was gone. She eats everyday and acts like any other tortoise. She is extremely active. I feed her mainly grocery store greens at the moment (winter), right now she is getting a spring mix. What should I do if there is anything I can?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Its normal... usually they dont tend to get hard until after a year or so... just keep up with the daily proper diet and you should be fine...

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
No it is NOT normal. At almost a year/10 months old, the plastron should be rock hard by now. My first question is: what are you using for a light source? Does your tort get any outdoor sun? How long have you had her?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I have had her two and a half weeks. I have. 5.0 TH5O reptisun (I think that's the correct term).

Oh and it's winter and cold here so no outside yet.

So is this something I should be worried about?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I did some reading from old threads. I couldn't really find anything that was similar to my situation. So I'm still really confused and stressed about this.

Well okay, thanks for the suggestions. I'm just going to start supplementing more. Maybe three to four times a week. There isn't really anything else I can do.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Try adding the 100 watt powersun MVB bulb as your basking bulb; that should bump up your UV levels. Add foods that have good calcium as well as a light supplementing. Use a cuttlebone in the enclosure so your tort can chew on it as needed.

Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is the plastron squishy like a sponge or does it just have some "give" to it like plastic butter tub lid?

Also what kind of 5.0 bulb are you using? Long straight tube or coil? How old is the bulb? How far from the tortoise is the bulb? Is there a screen or anything else between the tortoise and the bulb?

All the calcium in the world does no good without UV. They must have UV in order to make D3. They must have D3 in order to use dietary calcium.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Tom said:
Is the plastron squishy like a sponge or does it just have some "give" to it like plastic butter tub lid?

Also what kind of 5.0 bulb are you using? Long straight tube or coil? How old is the bulb? How far from the tortoise is the bulb? Is there a screen or anything else between the tortoise and the bulb?

All the calcium in the world does no good without UV. They must have UV in order to make D3. They must have D3 in order to use dietary calcium.

It gives in like a lid, that's the perfect description for it. The bulb is a tube style, and I have been using it since Christmas, so it should be giving out some UV still. I think she is about 10-12 inches away from it, I could get an exact measurement if you need it. The screening is just plain chicken wire. I think the holes have a diameter greater than 2 inches. And I use the supplement with D3, not sure if that's relevant or helpful.

WillTort2 said:
Try adding the 100 watt powersun MVB bulb as your basking bulb; that should bump up your UV levels. Add foods that have good calcium as well as a light supplementing. Use a cuttlebone in the enclosure so your tort can chew on it as needed.

Good luck.

I was going to get a powersun, but the way my enclosures are set don't allow me to use a lamp stand, so it would be way too hot. I had a 75 watt basking bulb with UVA, but even that made it too hot (115 degrees). I also use a cuttle bone, but should I break it into three pieces to make it easier for her to get at? I think she has nibbles at it a few times. But she has also tried gnawing on the rocks I have in her enclosure. Could that mean she needs more of something? I have been planning to pick up some collars greens to mix in with her food occasionally, would this help?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hunterk997 said:
It gives in like a lid, that's the perfect description for it. The bulb is a tube style, and I have been using it since Christmas, so it should be giving out some UV still. I think she is about 10-12 inches away from it, I could get an exact measurement if you need it. The screening is just plain chicken wire. I think the holes have a diameter greater than 2 inches. And I use the supplement with D3, not sure if that's relevant or helpful.

Given all this, I think you are fine.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Thank you, I was getting worried. So should I be trying to get it to harden or jut let it take its course?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hunterk997 said:
But she has also tried gnawing on the rocks I have in her enclosure. Could that mean she needs more of something?

I see this most commonly in tortoises raised indoors on grocery store greens. I have seen good results with adding some "MinerAll" supplementation. Its made by Sticky Tongue Farms. Also, try adding some more fiber to the grocery store greens. There are many blended grass hay products on the market, you can soak and add ZooMed grassland food to it, or you can try some of this one to sprinkle on top: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Thanks for the advice. I think I will order the Zoomed grassland food and see how she does with that. And if I feel she still needs some more supplementing I'll get some MinerAll.