Is this a cotton mouth?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I do. But since I was about 5 I had it drilled into my head.

I work with all sorts of snakes for my job regularly. People frequently ask me if whatever snake I have that day is poisonous, whether its a cobra, rattlesnake or an albino burmese. Rather than get "into it" I just answer, "No. You can eat it."

Pete, I've been called a few names for making this distinction. I'm always glad to hear I'm not the only one.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks like a diamond back water snake to me . Will need to know where you live to be 100% .I know 100% it's not poisonous . As for venomous I think not . You can't always go by head shape just an fyi . A water moccasin / cotton mouth will have a dark band running from the face across the eye like a raccoon . They also have a unmistakably smell to them .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This should help you .PICTURES! HAHA
These are water moccasins. Aka cotton mouth .

Attachments

• 1429069460144.jpg
    1429069460144.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 1429069469517.jpg
    1429069469517.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 30

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yeah I know it's not "Poisonous", just a brain fart on my part.
I kinda think Yvonne's guess is right. I've have seen plenty of snakes in my days in the military and farm pond fishing, this one just looked a little different with its markings. Needless to say I was very careful with it just in case.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its not a brown snake . Looks closer to a speckled king snake. First picture Brown snake .
Second picture king snake.

Attachments

• 1429070059005.jpg
    1429070059005.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 1429070073290.jpg
    1429070073290.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 31

wccmog10

Georgia
I do. But since I was about 5 I had it drilled into my head. Now every time someone says poisonous I'm like….

58601981.jpg

I love this meme, maybe a should print one out and take it with me when I do my educational programs. @Turtlepete and @Tom you are not the only ones trying to make the distinction between venomous and poisonous. Try living in Georgia... it is an uphill battle trying to keep people from killing snakes... Some people get... and some people don't. I am ok if you don't like snakes- that is fine- but please leave their heads attached after you see them.

-Wade

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love this meme, maybe a should print one out and take it with me when I do my educational programs. @Turtlepete and @Tom you are not the only ones trying to make the distinction between venomous and poisonous. Try living in Georgia... it is an uphill battle trying to keep people from killing snakes... Some people get... and some people don't. I am ok if you don't like snakes- that is fine- but please leave their heads attached after you see them.

-Wade

That's not a Georgia thing. This is universal all over the country. I've had near misses with many cars that were trying so hard to hit a snake that I was trying to save that they almost hit me. I've exchanged choice words with more than one snake-murdering, human-endangering driver.

wccmog10

Georgia
That's not a Georgia thing. This is universal all over the country. I've had near misses with many cars that were trying so hard to hit a snake that I was trying to save that they almost hit me. I've exchanged choice words with more than one snake-murdering, human-endangering driver.

I wish it wasn't that way- but it doesn't surprise me. I'm usually the one trying to save the turtle that is crossing the road. I don't usually see to many snakes that need help. They don't waste anytime getting accross the road. It's the turtles that clam up and sit there like rocks- thinking it will save them...

-Wade

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Looking at the head shape, scale keeling pattern and color, it looks like a Brown garter snake. Non venomous, poisonous, toxic or even hazardous.

wccmog10

Georgia