Is this a female Red Foot Tortoise?

MuffinTort

Location (City and/or State)
San jose, ca
She's about 7 years old now, we adopted her when she was 5. For the longest time we thought she was a he. There was a concaved abdomen and the top was slightly tapered like an hourglass. But over the past 2 years, the hourglass figure went away and we're comparing online images of the tail underside, which makes us think our tortoise is female.

Can someone help confirm?

Thanks

20705983_10212654560710697_2063556453_o.jpg

allegraf

10 Year Member!
That is a chick for sure. Tail is not long enough for a male that size. And anal scutes will round out more as she gets older.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The male is on the right . Note how big the tail is . Also note the V in the anal scutes .

Attachments

• 1503258952355.jpg
    1503258952355.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 31

treefrog010

5 Year Member
culpeper va
I do hate to disagree with so many well known and revered tortoise folks. I am only guessing as are they. I am basing my opinion on over 40 years breeding tortoises and having worked at 3 zoos including the National Zoo so although I personally have only had about 50 redfoots I have had the chance to examine many more. the tail extends beyond the right side of the anal "V" and is very pointy, the base is very thick and the plastron is starting to show some indenting. want to find out quickly? ask a friend who has a known female to let you put this one near the female and see if "it" starts to jerk its head from side to side and do some guttural sounds, then you will know for sure. Or you could get someone with experience to do a probe for you. Could I be wrong? sure ,have been a couple of times in my life, but more right than wrong. good luck with the animal. Frank

treefrog010

5 Year Member
culpeper va
unless I am looking at a wrong photo. I only see one photo here and it says "muffin tort" Aug 6th 2017. Don't see another photo

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What is the SCL of this tort?

It looks female to me. It's one of those females that has a slight concave plastron, the concave plastron in turn makes the anal plate look ticker. Anal scutes look female. The tail doesn't look long enough to be male although I can see what treefrog is saying about the pointed tip.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
One of my females with a concave plastron.
View attachment 216111 View attachment 216112
Not to sound like a pervy guy at the bar, but Anyfoot: I would like to see more of that girl! She looks very colorful and interesting.

treefrog: no offense to anyone, it is opinions and even if you are against the majority, you may be right. As always, it is a girl until the penis makes an appearance. There has got to be a dirty joke there somewhere.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
oh and Mike I originally joined in 2011 but everytime I change my password it seems to make me a "fgh"
That was an accident. Almost dropped my phone . Hahahaha . If you look at the tortoise on the left of my photo . She to has a big tail and the concave. I was thinking she was male until I seen her lay eggs.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Not to sound like a pervy guy at the bar, but Anyfoot: I would like to see more of that girl! She looks very colorful and interesting.

treefrog: no offense to anyone, it is opinions and even if you are against the majority, you may be right. As always, it is a girl until the penis makes an appearance. There has got to be a dirty joke there somewhere.
Soon as I get chance I'll take some photos.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That was an accident. Almost dropped my phone . Hahahaha . If you look at the tortoise on the left of my photo . She to has a big tail and the concave. I was thinking she was male until I seen her lay eggs.
And I googled Fgh. :D:D:D:D

treefrog010

5 Year Member
culpeper va
I agree! have seen many females with concave plastrons . but they did not have thin pointy tails. like I said, put a Brazilian male near her/him and see what the Brazilian does