is this a good baby sulcata tort setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cberg45

5 Year Member
hey guys tell me what you think i still have to add some more stuff so he can feel more secure. the only thing is the shell hide do you guys think that thats to big and then he has no basking spot i think he should be ok when hes a baby but when he gets bigger he wont fit in the space next to the shell or should i return it and get a different hide? i want to make it perfect for him/her

cberg45

5 Year Member
011-4.jpg

012-1.jpg

heres the pics lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would keep the shell and get a bigger enclosure. It looks very small. What are the measurements? Also, have you read Toms threads yet. They are posted on the bottom of my post. They are all good for raising a healthy, happy, smooth sulcata.

cberg45

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I would keep the shell and get a bigger enclosure. It looks very small. What are the measurements? Also, have you read Toms threads yet. They are posted on the bottom of my post. They are all good for raising a healthy, happy, smooth sulcata.

its a 20gallon long the measure ment are 30 x 12 x 13 the shell is really big lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
do you guys think that thats to big

Okay so don't get mad, okay?

BAAAHHHHAAAAAA HAAAA * holding my side from the laughter cramps*....lol

Okay, so perhaps the hide is, well, a tad big :D

Also, what type of substrate are you using there?

cberg45

5 Year Member
ascott said:
do you guys think that thats to big

Okay so don't get mad, okay?

BAAAHHHHAAAAAA HAAAA * holding my side from the laughter cramps*....lol

Okay, so perhaps the hide is, well, a tad big :D

Also, what type of substrate are you using there?

lol i think im going to return it cause its just to big and the whole to get in is small lol im just going to make a hide box its eco earth cause it holds humidity well ive heard

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
its just to big and the whole to get in is small

:p:rolleyes:

I was asking about the substrate because my old lady vision was not sure if it was crushed walnut shell or if it was coco coir....

May I also suggest that you increase the depth of the substrate to at least 4-6 inches....this allows the tort plenty of room to burrow down and feel safe....also, if you are going to add water under the heat lamp to add some humidity it will allow the top layer to dry up some but allow the layers beneath to remain moist and emit some humidity but not allow the tort shell to become wet and swampy....:D

cberg45

5 Year Member
ascott said:
its just to big and the whole to get in is small

:p:rolleyes:

I was asking about the substrate because my old lady vision was not sure if it was crushed walnut shell or if it was coco coir....

May I also suggest that you increase the depth of the substrate to at least 4-6 inches....this allows the tort plenty of room to burrow down and feel safe....also, if you are going to add water under the heat lamp to add some humidity it will allow the top layer to dry up some but allow the layers beneath to remain moist and emit some humidity but not allow the tort shell to become wet and swampy....:D
ok cool now if the humidity is to high will it hurt the tort like give him respiratory infection?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To answer your original question, no, it's not a good set up. It's too small. Once you add in a food plate and any other "furniture", there won't be any room to walk. They need room to walk. Is actually part of the digestive process. Also, by the time you hang a basking light and another fixture for night time warmth, the whole top of that tank will be nearly covered with hot stuff and there won't be much room to actually "cover" the top to keep in warmth and humidity.

They will not get a respiratory infection from humidity and moisture unless you let them get too cold. Keep it 80 day and night, and this won't happen.

Click the links in my signature for a whole lotta info about sulcatas, and feeding and housing them...

cberg45

5 Year Member
Tom said:
To answer your original question, no, it's not a good set up. It's too small. Once you add in a food plate and any other "furniture", there won't be any room to walk. They need room to walk. Is actually part of the digestive process. Also, by the time you hang a basking light and another fixture for night time warmth, the whole top of that tank will be nearly covered with hot stuff and there won't be much room to actually "cover" the top to keep in warmth and humidity.

They will not get a respiratory infection from humidity and moisture unless you let them get too cold. Keep it 80 day and night, and this won't happen.

Click the links in my signature for a whole lotta info about sulcatas, and feeding and housing them...
ok thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just so you don't think Tom is the Lone Ranger, I'll add that I also feel it is too small. The shell hiding place is fine, but the enclosure is way too small.

cberg45

5 Year Member
002-2.jpg

003.jpg

is this better now he will have more room the only reason im making a big deal is i dont have that much money cause im only 16 but im willing to wait a couple of weeks if i have to. so i can have enough money to buy a new cage

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I understand. I was 16 once too. Lets see if we can help...

For about $15 you can get a big plastic storage tub from any big hardware store. This will give you around double the floor space for your little man to run around.

You might also be able to find a book case or something else like that to convert.

See if you can find a kiddie pool or some cinder blocks to make a nice outdoor enclosure too. Make sure its got lots of shade for hot sunny days and make sure it is secure from dogs and other predators. There are links for lots of ideas in the threads in my signatures. I really think it would help you to read some of that stuff.

cberg45

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I understand. I was 16 once too. Lets see if we can help...

For about $15 you can get a big plastic storage tub from any big hardware store. This will give you around double the floor space for your little man to run around.

You might also be able to find a book case or something else like that to convert.

See if you can find a kiddie pool or some cinder blocks to make a nice outdoor enclosure too. Make sure its got lots of shade for hot sunny days and make sure it is secure from dogs and other predators. There are links for lots of ideas in the threads in my signatures. I really think it would help you to read some of that stuff.
ok i saw the setup you have but is there a lid i could make cause i have a cat and 2 dogs. im more afraid of the cat because he will be able to get in the cage but my dogs wont. the only reason i want the cage is because of the lid im going to try to think of something ill be able to do

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Here you go, this is a hatchling enclosure. 4ftx4ft, no corners, multiple hides, acces to water and plenty of room to walk.

enclosure-overview.gif

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
^^^ Now THAT is a good setup.

Yes, in answer to your question, your tank is too small. You're going to need to go 40 gal. Day Bulb (or sun during the day) and heat-bulb, heat rope or heat mat for night.

Pick up a hide log from a pet store - it needs one. Mine spends the majority of the day in his. It's good for their psychological well-being.

Your Coco fiber looks a bit dry. Also Where do you put the food?

Soak everyday. Make sure it has a varied diet (spring mix, collard greens, dandelion greens, hibiscus flowers, carrots, cactus, etc... - Read article on desert tortoise diets).

Humid hide box when you have a chance.

When in doubt, listen to Tom (and of course the other senior members)- The dude is a pro.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I used an aquarium like that when I started out. I made a lid out of cardboard and wrapped it with aluminum foil. The foil was for protection where the heat lamps were mounted. I made stands so that I could hang the lamps and adjust their height to get the temperatures correct. Once I had the aquarium covered it really held the heat and humidity in. It also kept the cat from getting in. I made a humid hide from a Tupperware container. I used foil on the top of it too so that the hide was as dark as possible. Then I found that I needed a thermostat to control the heat, especially at night, so that the tortoise didn't get too hot and dehydrate. Just keep in mind that whatever you use, the tortoise will grow out of it in 4 to 6 months. In my case I was able to move him to an outside pen rather than build a bigger indoor enclosure. I continued to use the aquarium setup so that I could bring him inside at night for sleeping.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used to do almost exactly what Joe just listed. All of that is a fine way to go and will get the job done. His post illustrates another good point. These indoor set ups are really just temporary, so they have a place to stay for their first few months, or during cold weather days, or just a place to sleep safely at night. Sulcatas grow so big so fast, that other accommodations need to be made ready pretty early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.