Is this a good enclosure for the winter? African Sulcata

Ezarate

Location (City and/or State)
Grand junction
I live in Colorado, my Sulcata tortoise is 10 months old. It can get pretty cold up here down to 10° at times. In the day it's usually 30°. I leave the lights on for 12hrs with a basking heat of 95-105°. I have a tiny studio so his tank is actually right next to the living room heater. I don't leave the heater on all day but I adjust it and have it timed so that it generally stays between 70-85°. I read a forum online and someone said that as soon as it gets to 60° outside they let their tortoise outside, would it be ok to leave the house at 60° to save me on the energy bill? Also I'm worried he's not getting enough UV lighting, it just doesn't feel like that lamp is enough. This is a custom 28"x28" tank.

I read that it's important for the tortoise to be outside under the sun and grass so I want to make him a safe area he can stay in outside all day. Would that be wise?

IMG_20180106_095119_1_27.jpg IMG_20180106_095228_27.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Size is ok for now, but you'll need much bigger as he grows. Also, it's very dry. It would help if you could cover the whole thing. A sheet of plastic would work.

I don't put my babies out full time until they're about 3 or 4 years of age.

Ezarate

Grand junction
Size is ok for now, but you'll need much bigger as he grows. Also, it's very dry. It would help if you could cover the whole thing. A sheet of plastic would work.

I don't put my babies out full time until they're about 3 or 4 years of age.

That's a great idea I can cut out holes for the lights and tape it around the lights and the sides.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I built a frame for the lights to hang from, and I cover the whole thing:

baby enclosure a.jpg

I lay the plastic down first, sit the enclosure on it then flip the plastic up and over. When I need to take a look inside, the plastic is just hanging down on the side, and I just flip it open.

Ezarate

Grand junction
I built a frame for the lights to hang from, and I cover the whole thing:

View attachment 226973

I lay the plastic down first, sit the enclosure on it then flip the plastic up and over. When I need to take a look inside, the plastic is just hanging down on the side, and I just flip it open.

This is perfect I'll do this today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Colorado, my Sulcata tortoise is 10 months old. It can get pretty cold up here down to 10° at times. In the day it's usually 30°. I leave the lights on for 12hrs with a basking heat of 95-105°. I have a tiny studio so his tank is actually right next to the living room heater. I don't leave the heater on all day but I adjust it and have it timed so that it generally stays between 70-85°. I read a forum online and someone said that as soon as it gets to 60° outside they let their tortoise outside, would it be ok to leave the house at 60° to save me on the energy bill? Also I'm worried he's not getting enough UV lighting, it just doesn't feel like that lamp is enough. This is a custom 28"x28" tank.

I read that it's important for the tortoise to be outside under the sun and grass so I want to make him a safe area he can stay in outside all day. Would that be wise?

Hello and welcome.

This is a tropical species. They come from an area that is hot every day. They don't do well with cold, especially when they are babies. Ambient temp needs to be 80 or higher, day and night in the enclosure. This can be maintained with a ceramic heating element on a thermostat for babies in small indoor enclosures. During the day, it is good if ambient climbs to the high 80s or low 90s. They also need a basking area to warm up in that gets up to around 95-100. All this electric heat dries them out and contributes to pyramiding. Covering the top and keeping humidity at 80% or higher, helps to mitigate this issue and it also simulates the monsoon season conditions that this species hatches into. Daily soaks are helpful too.

Outside time is good in fair weather, but not too much for babies. Generally, I like to give them an hour of sunning time per inch of tortoise. I would not put babies out at 60 degrees. Winter UV is so low, that there isn't much benefit to that risk. Use a temp gun and thermometer, and check the temps of the outside enclosure early and often. If ambient outside temps is at least 65-70, sunny and dry, then the substrate and decorations in the enclosure should be warmer than ambient. Check this and allow some outside time if things are warm enough in the sunning enclosure.

Read these and then come back with all your questions:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Ezarate

Grand junction
Hello and welcome.

This is a tropical species. They come from an area that is hot every day. They don't do well with cold, especially when they are babies. Ambient temp needs to be 80 or higher, day and night in the enclosure. This can be maintained with a ceramic heating element on a thermostat for babies in small indoor enclosures. During the day, it is good if ambient climbs to the high 80s or low 90s. They also need a basking area to warm up in that gets up to around 95-100. All this electric heat dries them out and contributes to pyramiding. Covering the top and keeping humidity at 80% or higher, helps to mitigate this issue and it also simulates the monsoon season conditions that this species hatches into. Daily soaks are helpful too.

Outside time is good in fair weather, but not too much for babies. Generally, I like to give them an hour of sunning time per inch of tortoise. I would not put babies out at 60 degrees. Winter UV is so low, that there isn't much benefit to that risk. Use a temp gun and thermometer, and check the temps of the outside enclosure early and often. If ambient outside temps is at least 65-70, sunny and dry, then the substrate and decorations in the enclosure should be warmer than ambient. Check this and allow some outside time if things are warm enough in the sunning enclosure.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Thank you for the reply, I will definitely try to get ceramic heaters as well it would definitely make a big difference. My question, aside from covering the tank with plastic should I get a humidifier? Or is the small tray of water and spraying the coconut fiber with water enough?

Ezarate

Grand junction
Hello and welcome.

Another question, would a small heater like this be good for keep inside of the tank? I'm thinking I could stick it on the opposite side of my tanks thermostat and leave the house heater off to see how well it heats the tank with the plastic cover top. If it's not enough I could maybe buy two heaters.

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...ptile | Environmental Control &utm_medium=cpc

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Another question, would a small heater like this be good for keep inside of the tank? I'm thinking I could stick it on the opposite side of my tanks thermostat and leave the house heater off to see how well it heats the tank with the plastic cover top. If it's not enough I could maybe buy two heaters.

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/heaters/tetra-turtle-aquarium-heater-5111830.html?utm_id=500|pg94591|314980300702&gclid=CjwKCAiAhMLSBRBJEiwAlFrsTh4Bf_yPV3cEwghDPPbGyOyyitfphwJxlC_Xuj9-Pw9Ki9bs4r2CjRoCo4wQAvD_BwE&lsft=utm_source:google,utm_term:5111830,utm_medium:cpc,utm_content:GSC - Medium - Specialty - Reptile | Environmental Control &utm_medium=cpc
That type of heater only works when submerged in water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the reply, I will definitely try to get ceramic heaters as well it would definitely make a big difference. My question, aside from covering the tank with plastic should I get a humidifier? Or is the small tray of water and spraying the coconut fiber with water enough?
Once you have a proper closed chamber, you won't need a humidifier.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Don't you just love how changing one thing, leads to another thing needing correction... Saying this tongue in cheek.

Now that the enclosure is covered and more humid, the hay I see in the corners will start to mold. The sooner you remove it, the better.

A good alternative is spaghnum moss. It has the stringy, hiding place like quality the hay provides without the risk of mold. However weigh that decision, also. I've used it with leopard hatchlings and had no issues but others have said their Sulcatas try to eat it.

Ezarate

Grand junction
Don't you just love how changing one thing, leads to another thing needing correction... Saying this tongue in cheek.

Now that the enclosure is covered and more humid, the hay I see in the corners will start to mold. The sooner you remove it, the better.

A good alternative is spaghnum moss. It has the stringy, hiding place like quality the hay provides without the risk of mold. However weigh that decision, also. I've used it with leopard hatchlings and had no issues but others have said their Sulcatas try to eat it.

Yes he loves to hide in it and make it into a bed. I'll just regularly clean it out for now.

(update) never mind cleaning out the wet grass is a pain in the butt. Instead I made him a small coconut fiber mountain he can dig through.

Last edited: