is this a good light bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
Ok so i am in the middle of getting things lined up to order for my new baby leopard tortoise and i came across this light.. zoo meds Reptile UVA Basking Spot Lamp 100watts? would this good light with a 150watt CHE at night? or would i be better off with the 5.0 floresant tube type with the CHE on day and night?? wich was my original choice.. for Sonne(my 20month old leopard tort) i use a 160watt zoo med mercury bulb.(kinda spendy) and a 60watt CHE at night His tort box is right over base board heating so i dont need much for him at night. im just trying to get all my ducks in a row :) and also what would be good to mix with peat moss? i know soil and cypress but the only cypress much i can find here seems to be to rugged for a hatchling but sonne does fine. and i dont know what im going to find for soil either.. the shops are slim pickings this time of year but im sure they still have peat moss.... any way sorry for being kinda dragged on:rolleyes: just looking for input ~thanks Kaila

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
If the 5.0 floresant tube type light is a coil bulb, don't bother buying it.
known to cause eye failure and not enough uv rays. Your best bet is a zoomed power sun 100w
or 150w depending on your enclosure size and a 60W CHE light at night :)

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Jacob said:
If the 5.0 floresant tube type light is a coil bulb, don't bother buying it.
known to cause eye failure and not enough uv rays. Your best bet is a zoomed power sun 100w
or 150w depending on your enclosure size and a 60W CHE light at night :)

no way not a coil bulb! lol i know better;) its either 18-24" tube floresant im not sure just yet wich one would be better. its cheaper than a power sun.... do you guys think it would be good enuf till i get a power sun? and also i plan on getting a 150 watt CHE we have a 60watt in Sonnes table and even with base board heating right under him ive seen it drop to 75-76*ish (and down to 65 with no base heating on at all) and and the hatchlings table is not as close to the heater. i wana make sure hes toasty :) and stays at 80-85*.

i think this one would be a good start for a hatchling?? :) what do you think...and also these dont get warm do they? im undecided on a 100watt or a 150watt CHE.....

Zilla
Slim Line Reptile Desert Lamp
Zilla Reptile Desert UVB Daylight fluorescent lamp is a full-spectrum daylight lamp with up to 100 Microwatts UVB output for proper calcium adsorption. It is ideal for desert species and all reptiles with high UV requirements. The Desert UVB Lamp is reflectorized for high-intensity output.

Zilla Slim Line Reptile Lamp offers a high-quality fluorescent light in a compact, lightweight, convenient and ready-to-use unit.

Features a slim profile of 18"L x 4"W x 1"H making it suitable for applications where space is limited. 18”, 15 watt Desert 50 UVB T8 fluorescent lamp included. 120 V, 60 Hz operation. UL listed.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The tubular fluorescent lights are indeed safe. They are cheaper initially, but have to be replaced every 6 months, while the Zoomed Powersun 100w or 160w last at least a year. Also the Powersun provides some heat, so you can get a smaller CHE as Jacob mentions.
Depends on what you have access to right away, but either set up would work.
So keep the overall cost in mind (not just the up front cost).

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Personally Use a Exo Terra UVB & Heat 125w for My 40 Gallon Terrium, Its a lot Cheaper Then The Zoomed Powersun.
You Can Find It At Your Local Petsmart For Around 40 bucks.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Jacob said:
I Personally Use a Exo Terra UVB & Heat 125w for My 40 Gallon Terrium, Its a lot Cheaper Then The Zoomed Powersun.
You Can Find It At Your Local Petsmart For Around 40 bucks.

thats just the thing.... i have NO local pet store of ANY kind within 100 miles or so... so i have to order everything online and the power suns are about 50$ bucks online ... the way i see it i buy the CHE 150watt +13$ for clamp lamp for 26$ and the Zilla floresant for 25$ + another 20 or so in 6 months for a new bulb=64-84$ if i were to buy the power sun 160 watt for 55$ and 26$ for 2 clamp lamps and 100watt CHE for 20$ and also a lamp stand wich is 20$ =101-121$ i can maybe go with out the stand and make something.... so i guess in the long run getting the floresant Zilla lamp would be a better choice lol sorry had to type it all out i guess:rolleyes:

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yea That Makes Sense, and No that Was Helpful Writing it out. I wouldn't Of understood as Clearly As i do now :)

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
they need a "hand on forhead" smiley LOL thanks for the help lol :):cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.