Is this a good spring mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mass
Every bodies telling me that I should get little Rambo spring mix. So, I told my mom to get me some and I just want to see if this is okay?:

OLIVIA'S ORGANICS SPRING MIX
Organic Ingredients:
Tango, Lolla Rosa, Red and Green Romaine, Red and Green Oak, Red and Green Char, Spinach, Mizuna, Radicchio, Frisse, Beat Greens, Arugula, Tat Soi, Red Mustard.

I just want to be sure that's okay, and if it's not what is? Right now I'm reading a bunch of articles on tortoise diets :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Some people like to NOT feed any spinich.. but its a small part of the mix, so shouldnt be a problem, as long as your tort is healthy.
You can eat it too!!

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Laura said:
Some people like to NOT feed any spinich.. but its a small part of the mix, so shouldnt be a problem, as long as your tort is healthy.
You can eat it too!!

Yay! Now me and Rambo can share!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Spinach gets a bad rap! It's OK to use in moderation! Look for Ready Pac Santa Barbara Mix...it contains endive, escarole and radicchio. These are the ONLY greens you would ever need!

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Okay, I'll look for it next time!

franeich

5 Year Member
where do you buy the santa barbara ready pac. I have not seen it at any of my local stores

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
franeich said:
where do you buy the santa barbara ready pac. I have not seen it at any of my local stores

If you don't see it in your market, but they carry other Ready Pac salads, then ask them to order you the Santa Barbara Mix...they'll be happy to do it for you!;)

moswen

5 Year Member
not to contradict anyone's posts already, everyone on here does what is the best for them and their torts -abra you'll find your own niche too- but i make my own "spring mix" with dandelion greens, mustard greens, chard, turnip greens, kale, endive, escarole, grape leaves, fig leaves, mulberry leaves, hibiscus leaves, & so on... sometimes i add rose petals and leaves...

but i buy a bundle from the grocery store of 2 different greens, divide them up into 2 plastic shoe boxes, add my home-grown leaves, a paper towel to soak up moisture, and shake it up with a little calcium. and stick it in the fridge! this way i know what i'm feeding them and i know it's good!

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
moswen said:
not to contradict anyone's posts already, everyone on here does what is the best for them and their torts -abra you'll find your own niche too- but i make my own "spring mix" with dandelion greens, mustard greens, chard, turnip greens, kale, endive, escarole, grape leaves, fig leaves, mulberry leaves, hibiscus leaves, & so on... sometimes i add rose petals and leaves...

but i buy a bundle from the grocery store of 2 different greens, divide them up into 2 plastic shoe boxes, add my home-grown leaves, a paper towel to soak up moisture, and shake it up with a little calcium. and stick it in the fridge! this way i know what i'm feeding them and i know it's good!

Thanks! Hopefully soon I'm getting this "Russian Tortoise seed mix" so I'll be growing most of his food :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Living in MA...especially this time of year...you do plan to grow your seeds indoors, right? A lot of those seeds wouldn't grow in Northeast soil anyway, but you could plant them in his habitat...UV lighting would help. In any event, keep us posted!

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Yeah, thats my plan :) And I will!

Status
Not open for further replies.