Is this a good tank for my box turt

KhloeStel

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
My dad and i put together this cage but hes a cheap kinda guy so he dosent think she needs so much stuff So im just wondering if this is a good cage or if i should add some stuff? I want her to be happy.(Btw thats a uvb light in the light holder thing And theres a heating rock) Also whenever i feed her worms i take her outta the cage so she dosent eat barkchips

Attachments

• 8254AD2A-989D-4B38-92A9-A7B47D813979.jpeg
    8254AD2A-989D-4B38-92A9-A7B47D813979.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • BB517A35-8334-4958-ABD2-C47B65DB1CA1.jpeg
    BB517A35-8334-4958-ABD2-C47B65DB1CA1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its too small, too dry, and you should not be using any kind of heat mat or heat rock under a box turtle. What type of UV bulb are you using? The screw in type of cfl bulbs are not effective UV sources and they are potential eye burners. They should not be used. Where is your heat source? You need a larger water dish too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Second everything Tom said. If you need help convincing your dad the poor thing needs more space, ask him if he'd like to live his life in a closet.
Box turtles have big area's in the wild. No we can't give them that much but they do deserve more then what what the average person gives them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I'm sorry to say, that's not suitable. It was good of your dad to help with your enclosure, but that just won't work. Box turtles need a pretty moist environment and your wood wouldn't last very long with water on it.

Of course, the best enclosure would be one set up outside, but if that can't be done, then you can use a really large plastic tote. Look online for the christmas tree storage bin mfg'd by Iris. It's about 4' long, waterproof, and a little less than $40.

KhloeStel

Oregon
Its too small, too dry, and you should not be using any kind of heat mat or heat rock under a box turtle. What type of UV bulb are you using? The screw in type of cfl bulbs are not effective UV sources and they are potential eye burners. They should not be used. Where is your heat source? You need a larger water dish too.
Thank you so much could i use Like a Kiddy pool for her? And what Type of heat sourse should i use? The uvb Is a 24” 10.00. My dad Pretty much just got the turtle wiith doing no research :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much could i use Like a Kiddy pool for her? And what Type of heat sourse should i use? The uvb Is a 24” 10.00. My dad Pretty much just got the turtle wiith doing no research :(
They need damp conditions and high humidity. A large kiddie pool kiddie pool is big enough, but you won't be able to hold in any humidity. A large stock tank with a partial cover would do it, but a purpose built closed chamber would be best. The 24 inch bulb will not damage your turtle's eye's, but it needs to be about 10 inches away for the turtle to get any UV benefit from it.

Good ambient heat sources would be CHEs or radiant heat panels set on a thermostat. You can offer an incandescent flood bulb as a basking area too.

A large safe outdoor enclosure would be best for warmer weather. Heavily planted.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Khloe- I think what everyone is telling you, without telling you. is a few basic things that I'll try to make plain the "WHY's"

1. For box turtles, don't think "desert", think "bog", gabish? They like it very humid, very damp/wet.
2. Turtles are reptiles as you well know and they must have 85F temps to digest food. They will eat @ lower temps but it will rot in their gut if they don't warm up. That said, there should ALWAYS be 100% shade available for them as well to cool down.
3. Box turtles are "roamers"....they don't typically roam over a huge acreage but they need space and if space isn't available(Dad<lol>), "enrichment" items can help.

Lastly, you got the above advice from some of the smartest "turtle people" on the planet......I know, I've read all of the internet......

Good luck!

PS. If Dad(I'm a cheap Dad too) is resistant, let him come in here for 20 minutes....we'll "set the table" for you......LOL

KhloeStel

Oregon
Khloe- I think what everyone is telling you, without telling you. is a few basic things that I'll try to make plain the "WHY's"

1. For box turtles, don't think "desert", think "bog", gabish? They like it very humid, very damp/wet.
2. Turtles are reptiles as you well know and they must have 85F temps to digest food. They will eat @ lower temps but it will rot in their gut if they don't warm up. That said, there should ALWAYS be 100% shade available for them as well to cool down.
3. Box turtles are "roamers"....they don't typically roam over a huge acreage but they need space and if space isn't available(Dad<lol>), "enrichment" items can help.

Lastly, you got the above advice from some of the smartest "turtle people" on the planet......I know, I've read all of the internet......

Good luck!

PS. If Dad(I'm a cheap Dad too) is resistant, let him come in here for 20 minutes....we'll "set the table" for you......LOL
Thank you so much!! Are there any Pictures you could attach of good set ups so i could get an idea of some to build?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Browse the homes of his brethren here, start with Mags Random Photos thread....then read through the care sheets above.......I think Eric recently posted a nice pic as well.....enjoy the "book time".

Don't be surprised by what you see.....I told you, bog, not desert. Most folks are surprised by the amount of water because of the miss-impressions given in the media over the course of your life. There are a few guys here that have amazing setups; Homes for their little guys the size of an average back yard!

Good luck

and tell Dad, I think he's pretty cool....for helping you.