009-1.jpg

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Cherbear said:
I bought him as a hermann but someone told me it was a greek. Thanks
009-1.jpg

That is not a Hermanns. It looks Greek to me too (Its all greek to me!).

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
Can you show a picture of the plastron or bottom? It will help to see the tail and rear legs too. I have a hermanns where the typical dark markings seem to have faded away some. I also have a male that has a higher dome, which almost appears more like a greek.

On a hermanns, the tail should have a hornlike tip on the tail. It should not have spurs on the back of the thighs. A greek will have a smooth tail and spurs on the back of the thighs.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hopefully, these pics are more helpful. Also, there was not a hook on the tail. The tail is smooth or blunt at the tip and would say there is spurs.
hermanngreek001.jpg

hermanngreek002.jpg

hermanngreek003.jpg

martinfre

5 Year Member
Cologne, Germany
i think it's a Testudo graeca.
and you should change the substrat. use garden soil or unfertilized flower soil with sand (for example playground sand or river sand), in ratio 1:3

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Yep it is definately a greek, I use a eco soil which works for me fine, Never have a problem with flies, and it keeps just the right amount of hunidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here in the states we used to use sand mixes a lot too. Unfortunately, we saw a lot of sand impactions cases, eye infections and skin irritation due to the sand. In the last few years there has been a trend away from sand, even as part of a mixture, and toward things like what is pictured. I have never personally encountered anyone having any problem with cypress mulch. It doesn't cause impaction or any sort of irritation and it can be kept damp for humidity with no problems. THey also have no problem digging down into it.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
martinfre said:
I will never understand why pet shop owner sell this crappy substrate to newbies.

$$$ (profitable)

Tom said:
Here in the states we used to use sand mixes a lot too. Unfortunately, we saw a lot of sand impactions cases, eye infections and skin irritation due to the sand. In the last few years there has been a trend away from sand, even as part of a mixture, and toward things like what is pictured. I have never personally encountered anyone having any problem with cypress mulch. It doesn't cause impaction or any sort of irritation and it can be kept damp for humidity with no problems. THey also have no problem digging down into it.

Indeed! :cool:

martinfre

5 Year Member
Cologne, Germany
Tom said:

I often read that the sand is important to give the soil more hardwearing. and the soil is important for humidity and digging. like you said. I never read about any problems with sand, in case of infections.

What's cypress mulch? I can't find a suitable translation.
Or is cypress a plant/tree? http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zypressen

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
Cherbear said:
Hopefully, these pics are more helpful. Also, there was not a hook on the tail. The tail is smooth or blunt at the tip and would say there is spurs.

Were you able to get this resolved with the seller?

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Sorry I haven't replied, I've been super busy. No, I haven't had contact with the seller. It's not a big deal to me if it's a hermann or greek. We were on a small vacation and as we were leaving our hotel my husband noticed reptile show signs and I had to go.

As for the substrate, I've never had a problem with it. And like Tom said they can dig in it just fine. And I'm sure not a tortoise expert, but wouldn't say I'm a newbie. I've been keeping torts for about 6 years now.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Cherbear said:
Sorry I haven't replied, I've been super busy. No, I haven't had contact with the seller. It's not a big deal to me if it's a hermann or greek. We were on a small vacation and as we were leaving our hotel my husband noticed reptile show signs and I had to go.

As for the substrate, I've never had a problem with it. And like Tom said they can dig in it just fine. And I'm sure not a tortoise expert, but wouldn't say I'm a newbie. I've been keeping torts for about 6 years now.

Well, if you're happy w/ it, that's cool...Greeks can make excellent pets, too. :cool:

martinfre said:

What's cypress mulch? I can't find a suitable translation.
Or is cypress a plant/tree? http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zypressen

Literally shredded American cypress (Taxodium distichum) tree wood...an excellent substrata for herps.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
martinfre said:
I will never understand why pet shop owner sell this crappy substrate to newbies.

I work in a petshop and never do i recommend any of the substrate that we sell, come to think of it i dont recommend alot of things we sell for reptiles.

Just dont tell my boss.

Most of the comercial substrates are suppose to be the best thing ever for your rep and because its a petshop well! they should know, right? wrong. its all about money!
My boss didnt open a petshop because he loves animals, he doesnt give a rats *** about them, all he is interested in is money and if some animal has to be put down because it isnt well then do it because otherwise it will cost him money to treat it.

so we have to do everything on the sly. In case you havent noticed I HATE MY BOSS :D:D:D

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
bikerchicspain said:
I work in a petshop and never do i recommend any of the substrate that we sell, come to think of it i dont recommend alot of things we sell for reptiles.

Just dont tell my boss.

Most of the comercial substrates are suppose to be the best thing ever for your rep and because its a petshop well! they should know, right? wrong. its all about money!
My boss didnt open a petshop because he loves animals, he doesnt give a rats *** about them, all he is interested in is money and if some animal has to be put down because it isnt well then do it because otherwise it will cost him money to treat it.

so we have to do everything on the sly. In case you havent noticed I HATE MY BOSS :D:D:D

I work in a petstore too, it's entirely about money, all the time. Unless you KNOW the people are REALLY into what their doing don't believe them. If they love it, you can tell. I don't particularly like my boss either!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.