is this a male or female redfoot?

lynnefay

Location (City and/or State)
OREGON
Good morning, is this a male or female redfoot?

Attachments

• IMG_20230524_065346_617.jpg
    IMG_20230524_065346_617.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 3

zovick

10 Year Member!
Good morning, is this a male or female redfoot?
It looks female to me, but as others have said, it may be a bit early to be positive. However, with that being said, the supracaudal scute does not curl inward toward the body of the tortoise, and the shell is not narrowed in the middle with the "figure eight" outline that one would see in a male RF. Finally, from what I can see of the tail, it looks fairly small and not larger and thickened like that of a male.

lynnefay

OREGON
It's still too young/small to tell for sure.
It'd just be a guess. And right now I'd guess female
i thought the tail looks small, the plasteron flat, but the v pronounced:/ i am adopting it from a rescue in washington. i don't really mind either way, but i want to have happy ratios:) i'm not out to breed them.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Dogs are definitely male or female too!!!
Actually, I do believe that at this point in our evolution, only us human species do NOT identify as either, necessarily.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What age is she? Can we see a profile view? Side view.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
i thought the tail looks small, the plasteron flat, but the v pronounced:/ i am adopting it from a rescue in washington. i don't really mind either way, but i want to have happy ratios:) i'm not out to breed them.
Myself included. And ive had a particularly difficult time with that due to my notoriously horrible guessing about males of females.
I had a group of 7 females. But as they matured, one after another, 4 ended up being males.
So much for my harmonious group