Is This a Mature Female Russian?

Mature enough to breed?

• Total voters

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Hey everyone. So I want to put this female with my breeding females in the big enclosure with the male this spring. I want her to breed with him. If she wouldn't go with them, she would have to live alone for the year. I want to breed her, but I'm not sure if she is old enough. By her tail, does she look like a mature female? She is 5.25 inches, and 475 grams.
IMG_1076.JPG IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1072.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks more like an immature male? Sometimes a more submissive, young male doesn't get the "big boy" look when in with a dominant male. But this is only a guess on my part.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I wouldn't breed her, if she is a she, until over 6 inches. The next year or 2 will tell you for sure.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I wouldn't breed her, if she is a she, until over 6 inches. The next year or 2 will tell you for sure.
Looks more like an immature male? Sometimes a more submissive, young male doesn't get the "big boy" look when in with a dominant male. But this is only a guess on my part.
I feel pretty sure she is a she though... My male is only 4.5 inches and the "female" is 5.25 and the male is clearly a male. Look at how his shell nearly touches the ground in the rear, while hers is about an inch up. (I assume to help with egg laying) Also, she has no sign of a nail/ hook thing on the end of the tail. But I guess even if she is a girl, I should still wait for her to be six inches.