Is this a normal plastron for my sulcata baby?

noillatsyrc

Location (City and/or State)
San Pedro
I noticed a tiny tiny little chip on the plastron of my baby sulcata last week but was told it was normal. The spot is still dark and I’m not sure if those circular brown spots are normal at this age either, my Sulcata is a few months old and I feed him 5 days a week and soak him 4x a week. I feed him Mazori, hay, dark greens, cactus, and veggies like carrot and cauliflower. His bedding is repti bark and cypress mulch with two hides a humid and dry one.

Attachments

• 716683AC-4739-48E9-88E9-1C27E5827838.jpeg
    716683AC-4739-48E9-88E9-1C27E5827838.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Welcome to TFO! That’s normal, it’s the umbilical scar. You should be feeding all days of the week, Tortoises are natural grazers in the wild and should have food available at all times. Soak every day and keep humidity levels above 80 to prevent pyramiding. Read this care sheet carefully...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome to TFO! That’s normal, it’s the umbilical scar. You should be feeding all days of the week, Tortoises are natural grazers in the wild and should have food available at all times. Soak every day and keep humidity levels above 80 to prevent pyramiding. Read this care sheet carefully...

I think the OP is referring to the two very dark circular spots on either side of the umbilical scar. I’m not sure what they are, but i don’t think dark spots like black-n-blues, are normal. @Tom will have some good input.

Agree with feeding & soaking daily. Humidity so important at this critical young stage. Carrots are high in sugar, do probably not a good vegg to feed.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I noticed a tiny tiny little chip on the plastron of my baby sulcata last week but was told it was normal. The spot is still dark and I’m not sure if those circular brown spots are normal at this age either, my Sulcata is a few months old and I feed him 5 days a week and soak him 4x a week. I feed him Mazori, hay, dark greens, cactus, and veggies like carrot and cauliflower. His bedding is repti bark and cypress mulch with two hides a humid and dry one.
Hello and welcome. I'm sorry to tell you that your baby was not started correctly by the breeder. It may recover and end up totally fine, but that scab tells the story.

You've also gotten the old wrong care advice. Don't feel bad. Most people get this same wrong info until they find us. Read that care sheet and then come back with questions. We're here to help.

Here is a thread I recently did that explains raising babies in more detail. Specifically mentioned is the issue that you are asking about here:

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
I think the OP is referring to the two very dark circular spots on either side of the umbilical scar. I’m not sure what they are, but i don’t think dark spots like black-n-blues, are normal. @Tom will have some good input.

Agree with feeding & soaking daily. Humidity so important at this critical young stage. Carrots are high in sugar, do probably not a good vegg to feed.
Ohhhh, that would make more sense. My eyes are getting older ?. Thank you ?.