Is this a sign of my terrapin shedding?

Esyun

Location (City and/or State)
Singapore
Its being like 3 months and one of my terrapin have this white patches on its shell. My second one is also having some white patches but not that much. Can anybody tell me what is going on with my terrapins or is it normal as they are going through shedding stage? :( (Both are active and eating well)
Pics below shows beginning stage and now:

911868D3-9F73-4575-B883-106F1462ED7C.jpegimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No that's not shedding something is going on. Have you tried lightly scrubbing it off with a toothbrush? Do your turtles have access to dry land?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like it might be a fungus of some sort. Can we see a picture of where your turtles live?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looks like abrasion to me. Is there someplace with a hard edge that comes that high on the turtle where it tries to hide? They love to try to wedge in under things.

Esyun

Singapore
No that's not shedding something is going on. Have you tried lightly scrubbing it off with a toothbrush? Do your turtles have access to dry land?
Yes they have access to dry land, the small one tend to climb to high places to dry its shell when there is sunlight. The other one just roams around in between land and water. I tried to shrub it off lightly but it won't come off.

Esyun

Singapore
Looks like abrasion to me. Is there someplace with a hard edge that comes that high on the turtle where it tries to hide? They love to try to wedge in under things.
All the objects are round surface(i am scared that sharp surface may injured them). They never wedge under things, and even they do the objects are too heavy for them to wedge under. Instead one of them like to climb to high ground and jumps into the water when they see me.( He do this when he wants to dry his shell).

Esyun

Singapore
Looks like it might be a fungus of some sort. Can we see a picture of where your turtles live?
They are move by the window for sunlight. So that they can dry their shell naturally. I tend to change the water in between 1-2 days.

Attachments

• 78509638-96CF-4533-AC0C-8B3433B83BFD.jpeg
    78509638-96CF-4533-AC0C-8B3433B83BFD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hmm, maybe try getting a cheap tube of antifungal athletes foot cream and applying it in that spot. Dry dock your turtles for few hours after you apply it. See if that helps.

Esyun

Singapore
Hmm, maybe try getting a cheap tube of antifungal athletes foot cream and applying it in that spot. Dry dock your turtles for few hours after you apply it. See if that helps.
Thanks for the advice T^T I hope ur advice will solve the problem! Will update if it doesn't work (i rlly hope it work)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
They are move by the window for sunlight. So that they can dry their shell naturally. I tend to change the water in between 1-2 days.
This is part of your problem. These turtles can't be kept like this. They need much more room. They also need clean water, with filtration. Dirty water makes them susceptible to many illnesses. They also need a uvb light or natural sunlight.

Esyun

Singapore
This is part of your problem. These turtles can't be kept like this. They need much more room. They also need clean water, with filtration. Dirty water makes them susceptible to many illnesses. They also need a uvb light or natural sunlight.
I know, many people told me that before. The fact that i am here to ask advice for my turtle is because no one in my family have any knowledge of how to take care of turtles and i have to own the responsibility of taking care of them when they are the one who bought the turtles back( and only bought a small tank like that?!).
My parents simply don't care and thought that those turtles can survive in that kind of conditions and how much care they need. I have to use in my savings to buy the food the shelter for the turtle when i am only a student. Changing the water daily is my responsibilities and i have no idea where i have the money to buy a tank and a filter or make space for them when i am living in a flat.
I know it is my problem but plz, I.am.only.15.and. i. am. asian. (sorry ima to emotional)

Last edited: