Is this a Sulcata?

TexasRed

This little guy came to me via being abandoned when his owners left him behind upon the sale of their house. I'm busy reading all the information, I got him one of the zoomed wood tortoise enclosures. He's about the size of my palm and I'm doing my best to become a quick study to get him the proper care and love he needs now. Any pointers and help would be appreciated.

IMG_1996.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, it's a very young sulcata. Please be sure to read the important threads pinned at the top of our sulcata section. There's a lot of old, outdated info out there, and what we have pinned is pretty new and innovative.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
He's definitely a pretty young sulcata, go through the links that Tom posted; they're very crucial! Unfortunately it may be the reason his previous owners left him behind. Sulcatas are absolutely great but they're a lifelong commitment and they'll end up being 100lb bulldozers. ;)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Yes, it's a very young sulcata. Please be sure to read the important threads pinned at the top of our sulcata section. There's a lot of old, outdated info out there, and what we have pinned is pretty new and innovative.
"There's a lot of old, outdated info out there" on the World Wide Internet Machine, plus, unfortunately many Vetinerians and pet shop keeper will still parrot that outdated bad information. Good luck and please follow the links Tom provided, studying them as if it's for your Masters final. You'll get it. Good job in taking on the challenge.

TexasRed

Thanks ya'all! I've grown pretty attached and I joke with my husband that I'm going to train him to pull my casket and add him to the will. He has a nice indoor enclosure and I'm trying to learn and figure out lighting, heat and humidity (tricky tricky, so any advice is gladly appreciated) and today I am working on an outdoor play yard with a chicken wire cover. I live in Austin, Tx so it's already starting to get beautiful and he loves his outside time.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
You may joke but many many folks have their tortoises in their wills ;)

As far the enclosure and lights, it can be a bit overwhelming at first but you'll get down and no time. Go through the threads the Tom shared above, they are lifesavers to your little one!

Here's the main things that need to be in place for your indoor enclosure...

Fully enclosed to help ensure heat (85 on the cool side, 90-100 on the basking side and 80-85 at night) and humidity, 80-85%. An easy method to fully enclose his home is to use a screen top and place foil on the screen and cut out holes where the lights will go. You will need a strip uv light or a mercury vapor bulb (this puts off heat and uv simultaneously) if you go with the strip UV, you'll need a basking light as well. In order to keep the enclosure warm at night you'll need to get a ceramic heat emitter, These are great!