Is this big enough for my red eared slider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
The tank might work for a couple months but you gotta have plans for the future they grow fast. I'll give you a visual with two of mine, the slider on the left is about 5 months old, and the one on the right is almost 2 years .IMG_20181120_165114307.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
View attachment 257761 that red eared slider is about the size of mine. This is the tank I’m going to use

I don’t keep water turtles, but from what I know of red ear sliders space to roam is the huge thing that needs to be taken care of right away. They are like sulcata tortoises only smaller. They both require amazing amounts of space.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Cowboy. They grow very big and should have lots of ground space along with water space. They spend more of their time basking then swimming.
The tank your showing will be way too small very soon. if you don't already own the tank, I wouldn't waste the money. Invest instead in a proper size tank or prefabbed pond that will last for years instead of months.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
We house more than 50 RES' in in four of our 6 ponds. We allow 100 sq ft of surface area for each of our RES' and more than an average of 10 ft of depth per turtle. With sliders, filtration is always an issue as they produce very significant amounts of waste. You can go to some of my previous postings for how we filter our ponds. I've also found that sliders will force out all but the most agressive other pond turtles. I've had to segregate my painted turtles in separate waters. For sliders, as well as painted turtles, less basking territory is required than surface water area as they all tend to bask collectively. Ours are all still out as of now, but very soon now they'll be diving deep for their winter sleep.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Baby red-eared sliders require swimming areas, basking areas, and hiding areas - more than one. They like to dig into the gravel and mud at the bottom. What filtration system will you utilize? You can't make do with just dumping water. Can this tote supply all this? It doesn't appear so. Your job as keeper of these turtles is to be their steward. I certainly do not want to be harsh, its merely that I love seeing these precious creatures interacting with their healthy environment.

PlanetGio

Atlanta, Ga
Is This Fish Tank Good Enough For My Medium Sized Red Eared Slider? He isn’t that big yet, he’s about the size of a musk turtle maybe a little bigger.
IMG_4056.jpg
IMG_4059.jpg
IMG_0906.jpg
It comes with a stand, and he is selling it to me for cheap, but is it big enough? I find it a little skinny or is it just me?

PlanetGio

Atlanta, Ga
Baby red-eared sliders require swimming areas, basking areas, and hiding areas - more than one. They like to dig into the gravel and mud at the bottom. What filtration system will you utilize? You can't make do with just dumping water. Can this tote supply all this? It doesn't appear so. Your job as keeper of these turtles is to be their steward. I certainly do not want to be harsh, its merely that I love seeing these precious creatures interacting with their healthy environment.
sir, i know all of that, i just showed another thing i was going to put him in, it was even ready yet, please don't assume

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's big enough. Just make sure to get a GOOD filter.

You might also consider feeding him in a dish pan outside the aquarium. Keeps the water clean longer.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I agree, that looks like a 55 gallon which should last several years with a young RES. I second the good filter suggestion - get an external canister filter capable of handling 150 gallons or so in order to keep up with the turtle waste

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
My friend, I was implying, hoping that you'd infer, that your tote habitat was insufficent if used for more than a VERY short time. I'm so pleased that you already knew of all this, and weren't planning to go out and purchase a filtration system, lights, and heater, as well as obtain the materials for basking areas and hides for that small tote. I'm really glad that you had already figured all of this out. Enjoy taking care of your new friend now . . . he is capable of living in your care for the next 25 years.

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
View attachment 257806 what about this? If it is good enough for now, I’ll buy things for it
If you get a hatchling the tote will work for about a year tops. You will also need filtration, UVB lamp, basking platforms and water heater. This is what I keep my hatchlings in. The entire setup will run you $80 total.IMG_20181123_142256099.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.