Is this broadleaf/greaterleaf plantain?

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
It grows around our front and backyard, but mostly in our backyard around where we have ponds. The thing is..it doesn't look like water plantain, but it doesn't have any of the tall seed stems/shoots that I see in broadleaf plantains images online.

IMG_20200606_112755.jpg

leoturt

Western Canada
We also have ones that are much much larger (like leaves are the size of an adult's hand or bigger), but they also don't have any seed stalks. Is this normal?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
We also have ones that are much much larger (like leaves are the size of an adult's hand or bigger), but they also don't have any seed stalks. Is this normal?

Yes. Just the other day I too noticed and picked some very very large plantains in a marshy area near an area where i kayak. There was a very large patch growing there, none of these had put up their seed spikes (yet). I’m sure if you watch and give them a few weeks you will see the typical seed spike.

Steviemonty

Norwich uk
It grows around our front and backyard, but mostly in our backyard around where we have ponds. The thing is..it doesn't look like water plantain, but it doesn't have any of the tall seed stems/shoots that I see in broadleaf plantains images online.

View attachment 296623
That does look very much like broadleaf plantain...but get conformation if you can

leoturt

Western Canada
My tort seems to like the smaller, younger leaves. But I heard feeding younger leaves of any plant isn't as healthy due to higher concentrations of bad chemicals?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tort seems to like the smaller, younger leaves. But I heard feeding younger leaves of any plant isn't as healthy due to higher concentrations of bad chemicals?
If this were true, I would be seeing all sorts of problems with the 100's of babies I've raised. Further, most people feed a lot of spring mix to babies, and that is all baby leaves.

I have heard this about spineless opuntia pads, but again, I've seen no issue in a practical sense. I feed baby opuntia pads to baby tortoises from day one.