is this bulb good for my res ?

jake91hall

Location (City and/or State)
Windsor Ontario canada
hi is this bulb ok for my res? I'm asking because iv been told turtles need uva and uvb light but this package only mentions uva ? thank you in advance 20181028_175721.jpeg20181028_175714.jpeg

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
IMG_5054.PNG Hi! I don't know anything about that bulb in particular but most lights give off uva... it's the uvb that you need a special uvb specific bulb to get. You'll want a fluorescent tube style bulb like in this photo..
Oh and don't get the compact coil type because they cause eye problems.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
hi is this bulb ok for my res? I'm asking because iv been told turtles need uva and uvb light but this package only mentions uva ? thank you in advance View attachment 255453View attachment 255454

No use apart from providing light to see by.

You need to buy a reptile-specific UVB bulb. Plant UVB bulbs don’t give off the right frequency UVB.

Don’t get the compact variety with a bayonet or screw thread fitting as they hurt tort eyes. You need a long fluorescent tube.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That bulb is fine for basking, but it doesn't provide the UVB your turtle needs for D3 synthesis, and its also overpriced and unnecessary. When it burns out you can replace it with a regular incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store. I usually 65 watt bulbs and adjust the height of the fixture to get the correct basking temp of around 100 degrees.

Since you live in the frozen North, I'd suggest a bulb like the one LaLaP linked for UV. Be careful about the mounting height depending on which UV bulb you get. Some, like the one in the pic, are very strong, while others, like a regular 10.0 T-8 bulb are very weak.

jake91hall

Windsor Ontario canada
View attachment 255491 Hi! I don't know anything about that bulb in particular but most lights give off uva... it's the uvb that you need a special uvb specific bulb to get. You'll want a fluorescent tube style bulb like in this photo..
Oh and don't get the compact coil type because they cause eye problems.
ok thank you I have a full spectrum t5 bulb on him as well but it's over his water not his basking spot will he still get the uvb he needs through the water or should I suspend it above his basking spot as well?

jake91hall

Windsor Ontario canada
That bulb is fine for basking, but it doesn't provide the UVB your turtle needs for D3 synthesis, and its also overpriced and unnecessary. When it burns out you can replace it with a regular incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store. I usually 65 watt bulbs and adjust the height of the fixture to get the correct basking temp of around 100 degrees.

Since you live in the frozen North, I'd suggest a bulb like the one LaLaP linked for UV. Be careful about the mounting height depending on which UV bulb you get. Some, like the one in the pic, are very strong, while others, like a regular 10.0 T-8 bulb are very weak.
ok thank you for the reply...I have a full spectrum t5 light above his water and the other bulb above his basking spot...will he get the uvb he needs from the t5 bulb that's over his water area? or should I suspend the t5 abobe his basking area as well?

jake91hall

Windsor Ontario canada

the light on the right is a full spectrum t5 1540831877816.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ok thank you for the reply...I have a full spectrum t5 light above his water and the other bulb above his basking spot...will he get the uvb he needs from the t5 bulb that's over his water area? or should I suspend the t5 abobe his basking area as well?
"Full spectrum" bulbs make nice balanced light, but they don't make the needed UVB. Sounds like you'll need one more bulb.