Is this care guide correct??

Karen S

Location (City and/or State)
Poquoson VA
I’ve been doing some research and decided to compile a little care guide just to have all the info in one place. I only looked at a couple sources, so can you guys just look over this and make sure all the info is correct?? I just added some screenshots of the list...not very professional I know[emoji28]

IMG_0045.jpgIMG_0046.jpgIMG_0047.jpgIMG_0048.jpgIMG_0049.jpgIMG_0050.jpg

Destben

Kansas

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do yourself and your tort and just stick with the info here. It is all correct. Some of yours is not. I wouldn't use moss, I have had it injested and wrap around my hatchlings neck years ago. It can be used, just saying there is some danger to it. Coconut coir is the best in my opinion. Holds humidity well and doesn't mold. Orchid bark is another highly recommended substrate. A humid hide alone won't keep them from pyramiding. A closed chamber will, but no on all and not on all perfectly. A humid hide is good for once they are out of a closed chamber, around 2 years of age. Temps never below 80. Just a few items that is wrong in your search. So, again, just stick with the care given on the forum. Really know need to look in other places.

Karen S

Poquoson VA
Most of it seems right but you should compare it to Tom's https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
Also compare your food variety to The Tortoise Table. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Also your baby should never get under 80F temp wise babies have a hard time keeping heat due to their size and humidity should be around 80% throughout the enclosure with a humid hide of 90-99% for babies.

Ok thank you, I will check that post. I plan on buying an adult, so I’m not too worried about a baby set-up, but thanks for the tips!

Karen S

Poquoson VA
Do yourself and your tort and just stick with the info here. It is all correct. Some of yours is not. I wouldn't use moss, I have had it injested and wrap around my hatchlings neck years ago. It can be used, just saying there is some danger to it. Coconut coir is the best in my opinion. Holds humidity well and doesn't mold. Orchid bark is another highly recommended substrate. A humid hide alone won't keep them from pyramiding. A closed chamber will, but no on all and not on all perfectly. A humid hide is good for once they are out of a closed chamber, around 2 years of age. Temps never below 80. Just a few items that is wrong in your search. So, again, just stick with the care given on the forum. Really know need to look in other places.

Thank you so much! I think I’ve heard of coconut coir before, I’m glad you caught that now, rather than me finding out when it’s too late. I plan on getting an adult so I shouldn’t have to worry about baby’s needs too much, nice tips tho. Really appreciate the help!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you so much! I think I’ve heard of coconut coir before, I’m glad you caught that now, rather than me finding out when it’s too late. I plan on getting an adult so I shouldn’t have to worry about baby’s needs too much, nice tips tho. Really appreciate the help!

I would save some money and look into a juvenile ( 2-4 years old ) cause. A adult will be harder to find and cost a lot !