Is this considered mixing species?

MuffinTort

Location (City and/or State)
San jose, ca
Deciding whether or not I should rescue this Blonde Greek Tortoise....Here's the current set-up for my one and only tortoise.

I currently have a female red foot tortoise, about 7 years old. Every day I take her out and let her roam my backyard freely (over 1,000 sf of area). Water mister on timer to help keeps things humid outside. Every evening I find her and bring her into a warm box of sphagnum moss, lightly moistened with a wet towel draping over to maintain humidity. Pretty simple set-up during the spring and summer.

During the winter, I have an exterior 3'x6' greenhouse (intended for plants) that has a heating lamp and UVB light hanging overhead with a fogger plugged into a hygrometer. She goes in and out as she needs to stay warm, and I bring her in again every evening. On rainy days, we built this 3'x6' box that's under our deck and she can walk around in there. Heating lamps and lights all included.

A friend is now asking me to adopt a 1-2-year-old Blond Greek Tortoise(unidentified sex). I've read up about all the issues of mixing species and I want to be respectful of it.

1) Is the Greek tortoise too young to roam the backyard without supervision? Should it be kept inside and only outside on weekends (hypothetically) when under supervision? At what age or size is considered a mature adult to be outside independently?

2) In the future, can both tortoises roam the large backyard freely? Or do I need to create physical barriers?

3) For night conditions, I do plan on creating a separate box so that they each have their own sleeping quarters. Plus the Greek tortoise needs less humidity.

4) Do you think I need to consider another greenhouse AND rainy day 3'x6' box for the Greek tortoise like I already do for my Red Foot?

What are the boundaries for "mixing" species? If they're free to roam during the day but share the same yard, is that still an issue? If I separate them at night but put them in the same "rainy day" box, is that still mixing species? Do you think there's room for trial and error with this? Or should the 2 never be in the same box; ever.

I love tortoises but might have to reconsider adoption of the Blonde Greek if it over-complicates the living conditions. Or, am I over-complicating their living conditions and environment? I just feel guilty leaving them in a pen all day.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160402_111559.jpg
    20160402_111559.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20150514_175748.jpg
    20150514_175748.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20150608_191216.jpg
    20150608_191216.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 20150608_201035.jpg
    20150608_201035.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 31

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
They should never be together. They come from different parts of the world, they each have a bugs that can make the other one sick. So if you can make two separate areas where they will never get together then I say go for it. Greeks take different care then your redfoot tortoise though.

MuffinTort

San jose, ca
From the research I've been doing, it sounds like everyone who has different species of tortoises keep them separate in all conditions Interior.
Does anyone have any thoughts about them sharing conditions Exterior? Such as in my instance, would I be able to let them both roam a huge, secure backyard without creating physical barriers between them?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The short answer, in my opinion, is no. They should not have contact with each other or areas where the other one has been.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Also food and water dishes should not have eachothers germs on them. Same as being together.

MuffinTort

San jose, ca
SInce the Greek Tortoise we're adopting is only 2 years old, we're going to keep it in the terrarium for now.
We'll probably let it out in the yard in the evenings or on weekends when we're home to supervise, but it'll be on this raised platform/dirt area that's completely separate from the Red Foot. He'll still have over 100 sq. ft. to roam, but there won't be any interaction between them.

Since this initial post, I've probably spent another 5 or so hours reading articles, and like everyone suggests, it's best to keep them completely separate at all times. One is a tropical tortoise that enjoys a hot, humid climate; the other requires a dry, hot, arid environment. Different species, different requirements, different bacteria.

On a light note, the photo of our future Greek tortoise shows the little one with a golden, round carapace. My wife said it looks like a cantaloupe or a melon of some sort, so now we're going to name him/her Melon. :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you've figured it out and come to the right conclusion of keeping them separate and in their own areas 100% of the time.

Your greek can live outside full time with the right set up. I would use a temperature controlled night box for most of the year and use a fridge for hibernation during winter. Here are a couple of examples:
You could make it on a much smaller scale for a smaller tortoise, and of course set different temps for your temperate species:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

This method would offer a cooler summer retreat and shelter from the cold nights of spring and fall.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heating-an-outdoor-russian-night-box.116180/#post-1077261