Is this Cruel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
Would be MUCH more cruel if it was male-to-male fighting over territory. A sulcata that size could really hurt a smaller desert tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cruel and stupid! There are some who believe that released Sulcata or other exotic tortoises are the reason our native tortoises have contracted the mycoplasma that is killing them in the wild.

Yvonne

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
why would anyone allow this behavior. to me this guy is sick.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Add me to the list...

The person has a choice... Isolate the tortoises giving each one their own space half the size of the one they have or allow the tortoises to go about their business...

I don't see where that tortoise is being harmed. It's not like the Sulcatas entire weight is on the DT...

As to the introduction of disease... there is mounting evidence that this is totally wrong and yet another scare tactic...

Ed

wayne.bob said:
why would anyone allow this behavior. to me this guy is sick.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
That's what any tortoise does when it does not want to be receptive.
If that DT can move that quick... It's not being harmed. As to the stress of breeding... would you prevent 2 DTs from breeding?

What the Sulcata could do and what it is doing... very different. I seem to remember that DTs are way more distructive to each other than Sulcatas are. I've never seen a Sulcata bite another tortoise.

Also... how do you know that was not a one shot deal?

Stupid would have been to take action if it is not necessary... If you watch that clip it is amazing the different behaviours that are captured on film. The person taking this shot obviously knew what they were doing. I'm greatful for it... that was a really cool video on so many different levels. Show that to an animal behaviorist and I'd be very surprised if you did not get the same reaction as mine.

Ed

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Again... that's your perception... I keep hearing about maintaining these animals as natural as possible. The flight response is part of the natural process. The owner obviously provides for an escape... as you pointed out.

I'll bet you any amount you do not remove all sources of potential harm that your tortoise is exposed to if you keep them outdoors... I'll bet you there is even some potential in their indoor enclosure.

That little looks no where near pinned down or being harmed.

Ed

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I don't see where there was any kind of debate.

You expressed an opinion and I expressed a different opinion... the chat was nice.

Ed

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What possible reason could that man have for stressing out his DT????? I would never bring my Chihuahua to a doggie run with all Rottweilers . I thought it was awful....

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
It's a reptile... not a mammal... not a person... a reptile...

The reason... providing more space for both.

Ed

terryo said:
What possible reason could that man have for stressing out his DT????? I would never bring my Chihuahua to a doggie run with all Rottweilers . I thought it was awful....

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
This isn't a debate because I don't see what evidence you can provide to show that a tortoise has 'feelings'.

The flight response is a reflexive action in response to outside stimulus...

Feelings implies... ohhhh... He's hurting me... please make it go awwaaaaay...

Again... I don't see were there was pain of suffering shown in that video... I'm looking at a natural behavior even though there are two different species.

Ed

terryo said:
So Ed, you're saying that a tortoise, reptile...whatever...has no feelings of fear or stress??

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I hope I don't get "reprimanded" again for this. On the advice of lots of experienced tortoise owners, I separated my Cherry Head and Three Toed that were together since hatchlings. It didn't seem to bother the Three Toed, IMO, but the Cherry Head was a different story. He went into the small hide, came out walked across the whole enclosure, went into the big hide, came out, and kept pacing back and forth ....up and down....He didn't not eat for two days. On the third day, after seeing him pace and not eat, I felt bad, and put them together again. He is back to eating, and sleeping in the same hide as the Three Toed, also follows him around all day. I also know someone on another forum who has an Ornate with a Redfoot, and she also separated them and now has put them back together because neither would eat and both seemed stressed. After she put them together, they were fine. I don't know if this has anything to do with feelings, but it has to account for something.....doesn't it?

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I do think that it was indeed cruel and horrible. The DT was without almost any doubt very stressed. I also do not believe that ANY old world species should be mixed with ANY new world species. There is a lot of evidence to support this. Even if you think the rest of what I have said is crap. LOL Best to all Douglas

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Douglas, could you explain what you mean by old world species and new world species? Do you mean tortoises and box turtle? I just want to say that mine are together because they are still very small, and am in the process of building an outdoor box turtle pen, for the three toed, which she will be in year round. My Cherry Head will have his own enclosure. But yes...it was cruel and horrible.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
IMO that was not fun to watch! actually I stopped watching and scrolled down to the comments, stating the DT deserved it because he should know not to go into the sullys yard in the afternoon? duh they are gonna go where ever they can. Me personally I would not allow my sullys to meet my Dt's and for that guy to allow the dt to get stressed like that for his amusement is wrong, If we talk about keeping things natural then a sully would not come across a dt as in the wild they live on seperate continents, and should not be allowed togehter or worse allowed to mate.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The "new World" includes North America, Central America and South America. Everything else is "Old World." I would still never mix Asian, Mediterranean and African species together either though. If they don't cohabitate in the wild I would not let them do so in captivity. I do know a number of people that do keep box turtles with their redfoots with seemingly no adverse affects. Best to all Douglas

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If you fast forward to teh end.. the guy says 'security entrance', safety.. and Flash is looking for his 'victim.. Poor DT was panicked.. He nees to keep them seperate..
And no one shoud be purposely breeding DT...It donest do anything for the species since you cant release them. It just makes more that need homes and there are plenty in need already. Yes. babies are neat to get and cute.. but they all grow up..

Status
Not open for further replies.