Is this enclosure okay for my baby sucalta

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Not necessarily, if you enclosed it properly. But a 38 gallon seems a little small and it won't last you long with a sulcata. At all.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Pics of the flower bed would help. But you need to have something enclosed to get the humidity levels up. Which either means you enclose the flower bed or you build your own enclosure.
What are the dimensions of the bed?

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Again, a 4'x4' won't last you very long for a sulcata but it is better than the 38 gallon.
You'll have to make sure you can keep the humidity high in it, otherwise your tort will get pyramiding.

JHat

Deer Park, TX
In my opinion, because you have some time, I would start planning out and designing on paper/computer a 2500+ square foot area 50x50. Some people on here, and they would be right, would still argue that's to small for an adult. You can definitely start 4x4 but you need a plan for expansion. Also you should probably plan for some way to keep the humidity and heat levels up through the winter.

There are some good "growing sulcata enclosures" on this forum that you could use for inspiration as your sulcata grows.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My two torts try to walk through even semi transparent plastic tub while soaking so for some it can be an issue

They will do that same thing in an opaque tub. They try to climb out of a soaking container regardless of whether or not its transparent.

Kasia

Poland
They will do that same thing in an opaque tub. They try to climb out of a soaking container regardless of whether or not its transparent.
Nope :) Not mine. I use a towel to cover see trough areas and they just sit inside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nope :) Not mine. I use a towel to cover see trough areas and they just sit inside.

Well I've raised hundreds. I've used pots, pans, clear tubs, opaque tubs, dark colored tubs, light colored tubs and every single tortoise tries to climb out of any tub they are in.

I'm not mentioning this to argue with you, or prove you wrong. I mention it because I don't want someone reading this to think that if their tortoise is trying to climb out of the soaking tub that they are doing something wrong and stop soaking their baby. Tortoises will try to climb out of any soaking container you use. I have a 60 pound sulcata soaking in a giant 3x5' black cement mixing tub trying to climb out right now.

Kasia

Poland
Well I've raised hundreds. I've used pots, pans, clear tubs, opaque tubs, dark colored tubs, light colored tubs and every single tortoise tries to climb out of any tub they are in.

I'm not mentioning this to argue with you, or prove you wrong. I mention it because I don't want someone reading this to think that if their tortoise is trying to climb out of the soaking tub that they are doing something wrong and stop soaking their baby. Tortoises will try to climb out of any soaking container you use. I have a 60 pound sulcata soaking in a giant 3x5' black cement mixing tub trying to climb out right now.
Did I mention I feed mine with sedatives before I place them in there... :)
Both of mine love soaking - Rufin sometimes goes to sleep in his tub :) Not all are a like for sure and I think that even sometimes little effort could pay off Tom. I did not raise hundreds but these two are my 100% and as you can see they do not fit the rules. I am not writing this to argue as well - I know your a knowledgeable guy. Just don't want to anybody whose tortie is not trying to get out of the tub think that he's dead... :p:p:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did I mention I feed mine with sedatives before I place them in there... :)
Both of mine love soaking - Rufin sometimes goes to sleep in his tub :) Not all are a like for sure and I think that even sometimes little effort could pay off Tom. I did not raise hundreds but these two are my 100% and as you can see they do not fit the rules. I am not writing this to argue as well - I know your a knowledgeable guy. Just don't want to anybody whose tortie is not trying to get out of the tub think that he's dead... :p:p:p

That was funny. Thank you.

I'm glad your tortoise are relaxed in the tub. :)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Mine climbs out of the cereal bowl I am using. Thankfully, hatchlings bounce on carpet.

Would you recommend a glass or wood tank
Idk if your question was answered, but never put a tortoise in a glass tank or aquarium. It's torture, since they don't understand how glass works they try to walk through it. It'll stress the animal out a lot and it's pretty sad seeing to be honest. If you do use a glass tank, be sure to put something around it did the tortoise can't see out of it. Best substrates to use is the eco earth brick. Its about 4 dollars a brick or 3 for 10. Do that and Cyprus mulch. Do a mix of both. And just mist the enclosure down every day.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Idk if your question was answered, but never put a tortoise in a glass tank or aquarium. It's torture, since they don't understand how glass works they try to walk through it. It'll stress the animal out a lot and it's pretty sad seeing to be honest. If you do use a glass tank, be sure to put something around it did the tortoise can't see out of it. Best substrates to use is the eco earth brick. Its about 4 dollars a brick or 3 for 10. Do that and Cyprus mulch. Do a mix of both. And just mist the enclosure down every day.

Mine has no issue with glass. She looks out at me through it, but never walks into it or scratches at it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Idk if your question was answered, but never put a tortoise in a glass tank or aquarium. It's torture, since they don't understand how glass works they try to walk through it. It'll stress the animal out a lot and it's pretty sad seeing to be honest.

This is completely false, even though its written all over the internet. I and many other experienced keepers here have been keeping Chelonia in glass tanks since the 70s. I've literally raised hundreds of babies of several species in glass tanks and not had one issue.

Best substrates to use is the eco earth brick. Its about 4 dollars a brick or 3 for 10. Do that and Cyprus mulch. Do a mix of both. And just mist the enclosure down every day.

Eco earth is okay for baby sulcatas, but its a bit messy. Cypress mulch is acceptable, but some people have had problems with swampy smell, large chunks and sharp points. Neither are "best" for a baby sulcata. I find that fine grade orchid bark works best.

Also, misting the surface does very little. It cools the enclosure momentarily due to rapid evaporation. To maintain a damp substrate, people need to dump water into the substrate, not mist the surface.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Idk if your question was answered, but never put a tortoise in a glass tank or aquarium. It's torture, since they don't understand how glass works they try to walk through it. It'll stress the animal out a lot and it's pretty sad seeing to be honest. If you do use a glass tank, be sure to put something around it did the tortoise can't see out of it.

I totally agree with Tom , and wish we could get this misinformation classified as "urban legend" rather than fact at least here on TFO ! :rolleyes:

MStacy

5 Year Member
My yearling is in a 100 gallon glass
This is completely false, even though its written all over the internet. I and many other experienced keepers here have been keeping Chelonia in glass tanks since the 70s. I've literally raised hundreds of babies of several species in glass tanks and not had one issue.

Eco earth is okay for baby sulcatas, but its a bit messy. Cypress mulch is acceptable, but some people have had problems with swampy smell, large chunks and sharp points. Neither are "best" for a baby sulcata. I find that fine grade orchid bark works best.

Also, misting the surface does very little. It cools the enclosure momentarily due to rapid evaporation. To maintain a damp substrate, people need to dump water into the substrate, not mist the surface.

My yearling is in a 100 gallon glass tank and has recently been flipping herself trying to climb out the sides. Do I need to make her an indoor wooden table or make her an outdoor habitat? I just don't know the next step to take. She's as big as my hand.