Is this enough to conclude he is a she?

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia

This is a very long video... I diligently trauled through days of cctv footage, but now at 3am I haven't got it in me to compile it in a meaningful way.

It does highlight just how many hours Bejo spent on this endeavour over many days. I believe this to be practice nest building (which I have read about being observed before in young females... Bejo is very small and young to be laying, at around 7 kilos and 32cm ish). In local Indonesian facebook groups I'm in, those with laying females are always 45cm and above. Perhaps I have seen one at 42, but certainly not in the low 30s.

I could be completely wrong however, and this is some other behaviour, and Bejo is a male as previously suspected. He/She/It has never displayed any behavioural characteristics of a male, unlike our confirmed male who is exceptionally horny and likes to show off his member. The length of tail, and shape of the gular projection do indicate male, but not strongly. The only time I have seen Bejo humping is in this very video, which may have been a display of dominance to get our female off the nest site.

The other scenario is unfortunately that it was a real nesting, but aborted due to harassment by our male. I finished preparing a secondary enclosure for the male just as the nest building activity seemed to subside.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
My confirmed male Mee drags litter to make a comfortable sleeping spot.
I have seen you mention that before @Yvonne G - is that a concerted effort over a number of days? This is the first time any of them have done anything like this, and the activity went on for up to 12 hours a day for almost a week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, he's usually not that dedicated to it. Works at it fir a couple hours each day.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I thought I would come back and update this thread. I have no idea what that was all about. It lasted many weeks and then subsided. Time will tell if that was practice nest building or not I suppose.