Is this flower safe, I can’t ID it? For a sulcata

TortyDxb

Location (City and/or State)
uae
Having heard of losses, and having been extremely complacent about flowers and foods I’m doing a spring clean

Can anyone help me on this one please?

Attachments

• 2DB6A8A3-E1AB-4F41-A191-A001BFE7E419.jpeg
    2DB6A8A3-E1AB-4F41-A191-A001BFE7E419.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Looks like French marigold, not recommended to feed to torts. This flower is supposed to be a natural insect repellent. African marigold which has single pedals instead of bunch pedals is said to be safe. My RFs won’t eat any marigolds probably because of the strong odor they give off. Roses and hibiscus are better flowers for torts.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Looks like a marigold. However, I don't know if they are considered to be safe or not.

I would let my tortoises eat it if they wanted to do so because I have always believed that they just don't eat plants or fungi which are bad for them and I have never worried about it, but that is just me.

I've been working with numerous tortoise species since the late 1950's and haven't had one poison itself yet.

TortyDxb

uae
In the bin it goes! Thank you so much for your swift responses- I’m going to be a bit hardcore on this and if in doubt throw it out.

TortyDxb

uae
Looks like a marigold. However, I don't know if they are considered to be safe or not.

I would let my tortoises eat it if they wanted to do so because I have always believed that they just don't eat plants or fungi which are bad for them and I have never worried about it, but that is just me.

I've been working with numerous tortoise species since the late 1950's and haven't had one poison itself yet.

@zovick this is somewhat reassuring to hear! Thank you also

I just don’t want to inadvertently mess up as it didn’t even occur to me they’d eat something bad for them...

zovick

10 Year Member!
@zovick this is somewhat reassuring to hear! Thank you also

I just don’t want to inadvertently mess up as it didn’t even occur to me they’d eat something bad for them...

Of course, there is another consideration in that you don't know what chemicals may be on or in that flower which may be a concern even if the plant type is "safe". In my particular case, anything the tortoises eat is from my own property and I know what chemicals are there (none).

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I am pretty open minded with my single outdoor Russian because (A), she’s wild caught and knows something about what suits her and does not; (B) she gets an enormous variety of foods; a few leaves of something bad is unlikely to be a problem; (C) some foods listed as unsafe on the Tortoise Table are part of the natural diet of Russians.

And (D), she’s a Russian, they seem to have pretty tough systems. Perhaps this is due to the scarcity of food in the natural habitat. I’m also similar to zovick in that I know the foods I feed are free of pesticides.

One of the things I do when I’m considering something new is to look up multiple threads on a food here in the forum.You’ll find a bunch of threads from people saying it’s a “do not feed” in the Tortoise Table; but you may also find several experienced owners have been feeding that same food for years. Sweet potato vines (Ipomoea batatas) for example, are fed by several owners, including me.

On the other hand, I’ve read multiple stories here about sulcata and other large tortoises eating any and everything. Sulcatas remind me of dogs, in that way. Smaller tortoises find a way to pick up small items, particularly if they are left free roaming in a house. You’re a new member and we always encourage better safe than sorry. Consider purging your marigold for now, while you plant some things that are commonly reported as safe.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

I am wondering if this applies to juveniles or to any young species, as I know of a sad case of mistaken identity - someone gave a very young tortoise poinciana flowers thinking they were hibiscus, and the little tortoise truly enjoyed it, but swelled up and died the next day.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Of course, there is another consideration in that you don't know what chemicals may be on or in that flower which may be a concern even if the plant type is "safe". In my particular case, anything the tortoises eat is from my own property and I know what chemicals are there (none).

I agree with Zovick. It’s definitely a marigold, and probably fertilized by someone along the way. Too many other good plants out there..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my line of work I get to interact with a lot of exotic veterinarians. I'm fortunate to call many of them friends. Knowing of my obsession with tortoises, I get to hear about al there tortoise cases. Impactions of all sorts, injuries, dog maulings, and of course, poisoning.

I don't know how people like Mr. Z and other experienced keepers have gone all these years and their tortoises don't eat things they shouldn't, but I have seen case after case of tortoise of a variety of species that did choose to eat a toxic plant and die. Not worth the risk to me.