Is this good enough for a baby leopard enclosure?

Astrochelys-SuN

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Hello

this is my leopard tortoise set up right now (feedback would be good xD)
20145-jpg.164447

i've been reading about " How to Raise A Healthy Sulcata or Leopard " thread and following every steps.

-Substrate-
Im using a coco coir as a substrate, also using some sphagnum moss long fiber in the humid hide boxes.

as for the decoration im using 2x spider plants and the other all are fake.

-Heating and Lighting-
I use a 100 watt light bulb for a basking spot (i put the light fixture on the top which is not showing in this picture) also the temp was always at 100-103 directly under the bulb.
I use a Zoo med reptisun 10.0 (im not sure is this good or not, because it can cause eye problems?)
the hot size (basking) always at 100-103 and the cool size would be 85+ never below 80 ( i use a thermometer gun and thermostat to maintain my ambient temperature in the enclosure)

-Humidity-
Overall it would be over 60% and 80% in the humid hide boxes

-Feeding-
I just ordered some African Grazer Grass Mix from tortoise supply, Herbal Tortoise hay from tortoise supply and TNT nutrition from Carolina supply. I put a cuttle bone in the enclosure as well.

Any feedback would be appreciate

Thank you!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks small, but pretty darn good.

The long tube type 10.0 bulbs should not harm your tortoises eyes. Its just the coil types that sometimes cause problems.

How are you maintaining night heat at 80+?

Sounds like you are off to a good start with the diet, but be sure to offer lots of variety.

Astrochelys-SuN

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
It looks small, but pretty darn good.

The long tube type 10.0 bulbs should not harm your tortoises eyes. Its just the coil types that sometimes cause problems.

How are you maintaining night heat at 80+?

Sounds like you are off to a good start with the diet, but be sure to offer lots of variety.

Thank you Tom!
Im using a 50 gallon tank from my old lizard, at first it was enough room but after i added some plants.. it is full now lol

im live in South Florida and it not really cold down here but only sometime it goes down below 80 though maybe somewhere at 75+ and i put all of my enclosure inside the house

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That sounds okay to me.

Be careful your tortoise doesn't eat the plastic plants. Mine always try and that is why I don't use them. If yours is leaving them alone, then its fine, but keep an eye out for nibble marks or missing pieces.

Astrochelys-SuN

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
That sounds okay to me.

Be careful your tortoise doesn't eat the plastic plants. Mine always try and that is why I don't use them. If yours is leaving them alone, then its fine, but keep an eye out for nibble marks or missing pieces.
there is a nibble marks but im not sure it was him eat it because it was the fake plants from my old lizard lol
i will remove it out now, thank you

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Love your enclosure. Is a little small but I know it is just for a hatchling for now. A minor comment.

The Zoo Med UV tube with reflector hood should always be mounted so it is pointing straight down, not angled. Like overhead sun. There have been some problems when it seems the tortoise is feeling like he's basking normally (which he will do under the heat producing basking light) but is then positioned where the UV light is directed more into the eyes, not coming from the heat source. Can't see where your basking light is, but it should be fairly close to where the UV is focused to encourage some basking there.

The Zoo Med 10.0 doesn't put out a ton of UV, but with a reflector hood like you have it will pretty close to double the amount focused down. That's good, but just don't want it focused at an angle.

I also have found prayer plants are great food, and do really well in artificial light. since you're removing the fake plants - an idea?

Love the interest and objects to provide "shade under a bush" which I personally feel is very important to Leopards.

Astrochelys-SuN

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Love your enclosure. Is a little small but I know it is just for a hatchling for now. A minor comment.

The Zoo Med UV tube with reflector hood should always be mounted so it is pointing straight down, not angled. Like overhead sun. There have been some problems when it seems the tortoise is feeling like he's basking normally (which he will do under the heat producing basking light) but is then positioned where the UV light is directed more into the eyes, not coming from the heat source. Can't see where your basking light is, but it should be fairly close to where the UV is focused to encourage some basking there.

The Zoo Med 10.0 doesn't put out a ton of UV, but with a reflector hood like you have it will pretty close to double the amount focused down. That's good, but just don't want it focused at an angle.

I also have found prayer plants are great food, and do really well in artificial light. since you're removing the fake plants - an idea?

Love the interest and objects to provide "shade under a bush" which I personally feel is very important to Leopards.
This tank used to house a bearded dragon and after all the research about how to mount the uvb light it turn out to be this angle (beardeddragon.org) i will adjust it tonight and yes the basking light is very close next to the uvb light (i will take a picture later on)

I removed all the fake plants, i was planing to put more spider plants but prayer plants might be better!

Thank you :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Lots of bearded dragons are having this trouble now and many are concluding it is providing a weird angle to the exposure to UVB, or too close to UVB source. Lizards often can climb way too close in their enclosures! Look at the eyebrow ridge over a beardie's eyes. That's meant to shade the UV from the eyes while basking for these sun worshippers. All the tube manufactures have started posting warning about never mounting on the side or vertically on a wall - must be overhead because of these issues.

Astrochelys-SuN

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Lots of bearded dragons are having this trouble now and many are concluding it is providing a weird angle to the exposure to UVB, or too close to UVB source. Lizards often can climb way too close in their enclosures! All the tube manufactures have started posting warning about never mounting on the side or vertically on a wall - must be overhead because of these issues.
Thank you i will fix it tonight