Is this good substrate? Seems kinda sus

vianey1126

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Arizona
Hello all! I got a smol sulcata hatchling comin in this weekend and I was setting my enclosure up when I was kinda put off my the substrate I bought. I saw the recommended was orchid bark, so I went to my local lowes and they didnt have the specific one I was looking for, but they said this was pretty much the same thing. It is also a bit smelly but I dont know if thats normal. Is it okay or should I get it out of here? OR should I keep it as a bottom layer and just put orchid moss above it? Thanks! Pic is down below of packaging and the substance thing itself with a post it for size reference. Thanks! And while I have you here, is this good lightbulb set up (bigger hole is basking, smaller one is che)? Thanks again!

Attachments

• F23F5D22-9139-4E43-B987-8515249645C2.jpeg
    F23F5D22-9139-4E43-B987-8515249645C2.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 25
  • A9FE3F25-10DC-4611-A4F5-67C847800B65.jpeg
    A9FE3F25-10DC-4611-A4F5-67C847800B65.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 999E6618-FCB7-4BB6-9278-C5A66AA31AE8.jpeg
    999E6618-FCB7-4BB6-9278-C5A66AA31AE8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

vianey1126

Southern Arizona
Looks like it has perlite mixed in along with probably other non-bark items. You want pure bark. Tortoises tend to pick at and eat the perlite which can cause impaction.

Coco coir or cypress mulch (natural, no additives or dyes) will work as well.

➡️➡️ https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...compressed-coconut-fiber-expandable-substrate

➡️➡️➡️ https://www.lowes.com/pd/Garden-Pro-by-Harvest-2-cu-ft-Cypress-Bark-Mulch/1001818958
Hello! Thanks for quick reply! I’ll definitely take this out then. Im getting really mad my lowes or my home depot because they dont seem to carry any of the substrates I need nor the one you recommended :( Now, I dont have a petco, but I checked petsmart and they dont have the other substrate you recommended. Do you recommend anything else?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello! Thanks for quick reply! I’ll definitely take this out then. Im getting really mad my lowes or my home depot because they dont seem to carry any of the substrates I need nor the one you recommended :( Now, I dont have a petco, but I checked petsmart and they dont have the other substrate you recommended. Do you recommend anything else?
You can go online & buy it. Chewy & Petco were running a sale for "Reptibark" which is fine orchid bark for $7.98 for a 24 qt. bag. That was before Labor Day. Amazon, Ebay also sells it. Pet Smart sells a 24 qt. bag for around $34 (total rip-off)

I bought 11 lbs of coco coir on Amazon for around $12 or $14.

I live in a small town in Oklahoma, & I find that the closest Lowes & Home Depot near me doesn't stock as well as stores in say, Denver.

Owners are pretty good at posting sales deals on here, so keep an eye out. And welcome to the forum!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi! If you feel like taking a drive, there is a Petco in El Centro. You don't need to go into town...the store is right off the Dogwood Rd exit. You'd go south on Dogwood for about half a mile. Petco is in the first shopping area, on your left, along with Best Buy and multiple other stores.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You won't find what you need at HD or Lowes. You will probably find it at a local nursery or you can order the Repti-Bark online from Chewy.com.