Is this ingredient safe?

Lukas peck

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol, Virginia
My tortoise has had a respiratory infection and his eyes have been swollen up for the past three weeks or so we’ve been to the vet a few times and we’ve been having to force feed the tortoise his name is Phil, I was holding his mouth open so as to feed him and I opened up some scabs below his mouth so I applied neosporin+pain relief and I wanted to know if the ingredients are safe specifically pramoxine HCL, I would appreciate if some could help

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Neosporin is safe, not sure about the added pain relief. Do not put it any place they could eat/swallow it
If you give us a run down of everything you use and do to care for him we may be able to help
We need everything you can think of that pertains to his care, housing, diet,etc
Are you using any type of cfl)coil bulbs? If so, stop ASAP.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, pics of your tort and the wounds would be helpful. Also that way we can see what kind of tort Phil is.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise has had a respiratory infection and his eyes have been swollen up for the past three weeks or so we’ve been to the vet a few times and we’ve been having to force feed the tortoise his name is Phil, I was holding his mouth open so as to feed him and I opened up some scabs below his mouth so I applied neosporin+pain relief and I wanted to know if the ingredients are safe specifically pramoxine HCL, I would appreciate if some could help
Force feeding is never a good idea. The tortoise isn't eating for a reason, and if it can't process food, there is no point in forcing it into him.

Also, they don't get sick for no reason. Do you know what caused the RI? Treating the symptoms is pointless if you don't first discover and then correct the cause. Vets don't know tortoise care, and often they do more harm than good.

Read through this, and look for the care sheets at the bottom:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would worry that force feeding could cause aspiration where food goes into the lungs, which would cause further problems. I hope he recovers soon.