Is this lambs ear?

Chasen

Location (City and/or State)
Galveston
Not lambs quarters. It looks like a dead nettle to me, with those purple-pink flowers.
It sure does look like that. Yay, one more thing I've found to collect for feeding. Thanx

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are three different weeds/wildflowers that appear similar, some are edible, some aren't.

creeping charlie - toxic:
Creep-Charlie-Flowers-big.jpg

dead nettle - edible:
Purple-dead-nettle1-1024x981.jpg

Purple-dead-nettle4-739x1024.jpg

hen bit - toxic:

henbit_flower.jpg

Your picture is not any kind of mint.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
@Yvonne G, the Tortoise Table allows henbit in small amounts. Ugh, I hate when sites show two different things about the same plant! :mad:

Do we have experience with it in this forum where tortoises have been harmed by henbit?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Yvonne G, the Tortoise Table allows henbit in small amounts. Ugh, I hate when sites show two different things about the same plant! :mad:

Do we have experience with it in this forum where tortoises have been harmed by henbit?
I don't remember where I took my info from for the sub forum thread "Pictures of common plants edible and non" but the info I copied says, "henbit - causes 'staggers' in foraging mammals (a condition that usually arises from consuming mycotoxins), is toxic to birds, but safe for humans. I would avoid it if possible" I think because it is toxic to birds, I would also not give it to tortoises.

Chasen

Galveston
There are three different weeds/wildflowers that appear similar, some are edible, some aren't.

creeping charlie - toxic:
Creep-Charlie-Flowers-big.jpg

dead nettle - edible:
Purple-dead-nettle1-1024x981.jpg

Purple-dead-nettle4-739x1024.jpg

hen bit - toxic:

henbit_flower.jpg

Your picture is not any kind of mint.
Thanx for the wisdom. I don't think the one I posted is any of the above, but if there's any question, I won't feed.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I still think it’s a dead nettle or awfully close to it but certainly you should not feed it if you don’t feel comfortable.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I don’t believe that specific nettle is native your area but there are about fifty different kinds so if not that one, a relative

I’d feed it to my Russian but I am a very casual feeder.

Chasen

Galveston
I don’t believe that specific nettle is native your area but there are about fifty different kinds so if not that one, a relative

I’d feed it to my Russian but I am a very casual feeder.
What does "casual feeder" mean?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
What does "casual feeder" mean?

It means that I’m open to feeding things that are a “No” on the Tortoise Table or that haven’t been fed by others on this forum, if I know enough about the plant or plant family from other sources. For example, the plant above is from a plant family that is generally safe. Not everything in it tastes good but it’s generally safe. So I would offer it.

There are plants I consider completely off limits but not many. And some I don’t know anything about, like grasses, which my tortoise doesn’t eat.

I have a little bit of knowledge about plants and am pretty good at looking up what I don’t know. I’ve also got a wild caught Russian who is open to all kinds of foods.

Other owners will not feed foods they aren’t entirely sure of or that the Tortoise Table says “No” to and that’s fine. Owners need to decide for themselves what is and isn’t appropriate.