Is this leopard baby a good one???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoffman2014

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
I'm attempting to purchase my first leopard tortoise and have come across this little fellow who is advertised as a high white leopard tortoise. He definitely looks very white to me but I've read on other threads that people often try to pass leopards off as high white when their new growth will simply darken as they age and you will be left with a regular leopard tortoise. Please let me know what you all think!image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
What a beauty! Lots of white for sure, more than just being growth lines. Do they have pictures of the parents that they can share with you from their breeder? That might help you decide, to be sure. Looks high white to me, but I am no expert. If you get it, pictures please! : )

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It will mottle as it ages. I also advise seeking an alternative source for purchase.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
You can find many reputable leopard tortoise breeders here on the forum...ESP cause members here starts there hatchlings off right :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like that baby has been raised in a dry environment. I would steer clear of it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
S/he is cute. Doesn't look as white to me as I have seen. I agree with the others.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
It does look like it has been started 'dry' (please read Tom's threads on raising sulcata and leopard hatchlings) but that doesn't mean it isnt healthy. I'm not too keen on people saying steer clear because it hasn't been started right, as this means people wont take these animals into their care and give them a good chance at life. If everybody avoided slightly pyramided leos and sulcatas they will likely continue to pyramid and not get bought by reputable people.

ANYWAY Im going off the point, sorry, yes it looks like a perfectly good and beautiful Leo. I would :D

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
LeopardTortLover said:
It does look like it has been started 'dry' (please read Tom's threads on raising sulcata and leopard hatchlings) but that doesn't mean it isnt healthy. I'm not too keen on people saying steer clear because it hasn't been started right, as this means people wont take these animals into their care and give them a good chance at life. If everybody avoided slightly pyramided leos and sulcatas they will likely continue to pyramid and not get bought by reputable people.

ANYWAY Im going off the point, sorry, yes it looks like a perfectly good and beautiful Leo. I would :D

I agree with the emboldened part.

My reason for saying to seek an alternative source has to do with the "source" in this instance rather than the animal's appearance in a photo.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And my reason for saying to steer clear of a dry-started hatchling is because being kept too dry sometimes has an adverse effect of the tortoise's kidneys. I think this may have something to do with the number of babies that die (no scientific proof, just a feeling).

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Oh no! :( I never knew that. The reason I wouldn't like people to avoid dry-started ones entirely though is I think all tortoises deserve a chance at a good life. And just because they're a bit "bumpy" doesn't mean people shouldn't buy them.
If people would have told me not to buy a pyramided tortoise before I went to the shop, I wouldn't have the tortoise I do now - and he'd have probably ended up in an awful dry home.
I love him to pieces and id have never bought him if I'd been swayed otherwise. Just my opinion :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At any rate...it sounds as if Baoh has some first hand knowledge of this vendor and I'd take his advice if I were you.

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
This baby looks just like two of my baby's .i purchased three last oct from Elliott and they were all three dark as hatchlings. Now the two look like this one, I don't think this little guy is a high white. But I could be wrong . I would go for it! You will love him either way.
Good luck!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Yvonne G said:
At any rate...it sounds as if Baoh has some first hand knowledge of this vendor and I'd take his advice if I were you.

Yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.