Is this normal ?

Evy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
My sulcata is about a year old and she stays in places for a long time, such as inside her water container for about an hour or more after we just bathed her for about 30mins ( she gets soaks twice a daily).

She used the top hide constantly for a month then the bottom hide for longer time, and now she is digging on the corner of the top level where she haven't been longer then 5 mins for about two months.

Also she stays in her hide for the majority of the day after she has breakfast or brunch

Temperatures are going little crazy since is getting warmer outside. Is there a better way to control it? I think I'm going to but the thermostat.

Sometimes she eats all her food and sometimes just half?

So, does this happen to everybody ?
I'm very confused and mainly I want to make sure that I'm not missing something.

One more thing she haven't used her basking area for a very long time. She had a lamp above her bath area which is a painting tray to keep the water warm at all times and she is been soaking there for long periods of time.

All comments are appreciated.

Blue (European hunt-mix dog)
Dolly (Yorkie dog)
Penny (Sulcata)

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
That's was my first thought, if it's 85-88 degrees she seem uncomfortable but according to previous help the area should not be below 80F.

She when for a half hour to her normal basking area. Then she dug by the corner. Even though I put her inside her humid hide.

Blue (European hunt-mix dog)
Dolly (Yorkie dog)
Penny (Sulcata)

M

Maggie Cummings

Is your substrate damp creating the sought after 80% humidity? It kinda sounds like she's too dry. I have never heard of any Sulcata that didn't eat all the offered food. I realize you have a humid hide, but the whole tank should be humid as well. So go over everything, make sure your temps are hot enough, 95 under the light. No less then about 80-75 on the cool side. Enough humidity, just some ideas...

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Is your substrate damp creating the sought after 80% humidity? It kinda sounds like she's too dry. I have never heard of any Sulcata that didn't eat all the offered food. I realize you have a humid hide, but the whole tank should be humid as well. So go over everything, make sure your temps are hot enough, 95 under the light. No less then about 80-75 on the cool side. Enough humidity, just some ideas...
Thank you, I'll go over that again.

Penny a lovely sulcata!

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I forgot to update you guys. London is doing much better. He is spending more time outside and we redo the outdoor enclosure. I'll post pics soon to ask for more ideas for it.

Something that had happen before occurred again, ants where in the enclosure but now there were a lot so I used "Diatomaceous earth Organic" in the enclosure because they massacred my lady bugs, yeah they kill about 100 of them. So my computer room is full of dead lady bugs. I hate bugs but lady buys are actually cute and they were helping to get rid of the bugs inside enclosure.

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))