Is this okay?

Lucas791

I have a 4-5 inch long hermann tortoise, I feed him weeds from my yard along with orchard hay cucumber romaine lettuce and kale, he has UVB UVA and heating as well as a cold side, even a nice little pool that's shallow to prevent drowning, his substrate is 70% topsoil and 30 cypress mulch, what else can I do to make him happy? He seems somewhat mopey all the time. Any ideas welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He needs a much larger more interesting environment. Imagine if you were locked in a closet. Even if it was a nice closet with comfortable bedding and nice temperatures, there is still only so much you can do in a closet. Wouldn't you rather have a whole house and yard to play in? Wouldn't you do more and be more active if you had that space and stuff that interested you within that space? I would. If I were locked in a closet and had no way to escape, I would just sit and wait for things to get better.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Hi Lucas,

That would be a great place to let your hermann sleep at night. Can you build him a large outdoor enclosure for the day time? Maybe in the area where you pluck the weeds? I bet you'd notice a difference in behavior if he spent most of him time outside :D