Is this Pathos safe for russian tortoise?

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Are pathos safe for my russian tortoise? Want to make his enclosure more bioactive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

TisMary

New York
Are pathos safe for my russian tortoise? Want to make his enclosure more bioactive.
Hi @TaylorTortoise! Beautiful pothos! Probably OK to put in the enclosure as long as he doesn't chow down on it. I have one in with our Bearded Dragon - he doesn't eat it, he just beats it up every now and again! ?

Pothos contain raphides (needle-shaped crystals of calcium oxalate) which, if eaten in large enough quantities, could be harmful. You can read more about it and other things to watch out for here: The Tortoise Table. The ASPCA is also a good place to look up houseplants: Is That Houseplant Safe for Your Pets? They focus on cats, dogs, and horses, but it's a place to start. They'll tell you why they warn against it, and then you can look that thing up. Also, you can google the name of the plant and the word "toxic" or "poison" (you get the idea) to read up on other plants you may wonder about.

Finally, I've begun to pay close attention to the little plastic cards that you usually find stuck in plants that you buy commercially. I don't buy them anymore unless they list the botanical name (sometimes referred to as "binomial", or "Latin" name) that tells you the genus, followed by the species. That way, I know what plant I'm actually getting; "common names" still get me in trouble (just ask that Pelargonium that now lives out in my garden - it's not technically a geranium like it said on the pot!) Pothos is another good example. ASPCA lists it as Devils Ivy and lists "Pothos" as an additional name (I've never known it as anything else, though). The botanical name for either of these is the same: Epipremnum aureum (genus species), so they do refer to the same plant.

Of course, this probably won't work for plants you get from friends and family - unless they have a ready supply of little plastic cards! ?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I've never had an issue with a tortoises eating Pothos. However a friend has cautioned me that leopard tortoises (neonates) will sometimes get what is described as a swollen face from it. It is safe in the sense that is often eaten, but maybe pay close attention to how they react to it.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've been using it as a planting with my Russians, my Redfoot, and my MEP, for years.

The Russians largely ignore it. My Redfoot eats it down to the roots the day I introduce it. The MEP takes a week or two to eat it.

None of them have ever shown any ill effects from its presence in their enclosures or bellies.

Jamie

Last edited:

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
I have several sulcatas in an outdoor enclosure.There are pathos growing throughout the enclosure.Although I have never seen them eat it they have had constant access to it. From hatchlings to adults I have never had a problem. They aren't Russians but I hope that helps you

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I certainly am not an expert...however, I have kept numerous tortoises over the years including 3 Russians that were basically dumped on me...I also keep and propagate house plants, and in MY experience most torts that we keep as pets don't even bite at Pothos and those Russians are the pickiest species I have every tried to feed. They are freakin awful, I plant and grow weeds especially for torts to eat...the Russians, all 3 in separate pens turn their noses up at most growing weeds...in Oregon anyway, I am grateful that they are leaving soon...100_1351.JPG

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I certainly am not an expert...however, I have kept numerous tortoises over the years including 3 Russians that were basically dumped on me...I also keep and propagate house plants, and in MY experience most torts that we keep as pets don't even bite at Pothos and those Russians are the pickiest species I have every tried to feed. They are freakin awful, I plant and grow weeds especially for torts to eat...the Russians, all 3 in separate pens turn their noses up at most growing weeds...in Oregon anyway, I am grateful that they are leaving soon...View attachment 343248
My little brat Russian was probably wild caught and still was the pickiest danged eater you'd ever meet. He sniffs everything before he'll eat it. He can be in a field of dandelions and still sniffs every leaf before he'll eat it.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
My little brat Russian was probably wild caught and still was the pickiest danged eater you'd ever meet. He sniffs everything before he'll eat it. He can be in a field of dandelions and still sniffs every leaf before he'll eat it.
Mine sniffs everything too like a puppy dog 😂😂

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I certainly am not an expert...however, I have kept numerous tortoises over the years including 3 Russians that were basically dumped on me...I also keep and propagate house plants, and in MY experience most torts that we keep as pets don't even bite at Pothos and those Russians are the pickiest species I have every tried to feed. They are freakin awful, I plant and grow weeds especially for torts to eat...the Russians, all 3 in separate pens turn their noses up at most growing weeds...in Oregon anyway, I am grateful that they are leaving soon...View attachment 343248
Russians are extremely picky. However I have a western hermanns he wont budge with touching dandelions, but my Russian LOVES his danelions.