Is this plant (Beach morning glory) safe for Greek tortoise

I Rafii

Location (City and/or State)
Saudi arabia
Is Ipomoea pes-caprae, also known as bayhops, bay-hops, beach morning glory or goat's foot, safe for a greek tortoise to eat?

Attachments

• stp-85930-green-creeper-plant-growing-on-beach-sand-bhogwe-beach-maharashtra-CE6W0R.jpg
    stp-85930-green-creeper-plant-growing-on-beach-sand-bhogwe-beach-maharashtra-CE6W0R.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 10
  • beach-morning-glory-flowers-ipomoea-pes-caprae-early-morning-in-tortuguero-HMHK7M.jpg
    beach-morning-glory-flowers-ipomoea-pes-caprae-early-morning-in-tortuguero-HMHK7M.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 11
  • beach-morning-glory-400x267.jpg
    beach-morning-glory-400x267.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 9

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Without looking anything up, I thought “morning glory” is part of the nightshade family of plants. In general, those plants are, for the most part, usually on the “Do Not Feed” list. The morning glories that grow along the seaside are usually more like succulents. All that said, Id pass on feeding.... too many other safe good foods & grasses available.

I Rafii

Saudi arabia
It's just on the internet they said they are not the same plant at all and the garden is full of it so I'm trying to see if it's safe to let it roam in the garden with this plant.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
It's just on the internet they said they are not the same plant at all and the garden is full of it so I'm trying to see if it's safe to let it roam in the garden with this plant.

Personally, I would pass on feeding this. Maybe in small portions occasionally, but feed things in volume that you know are safe.

ps - what part of Saudi are you located? I lived in Riyadh for a year. Had a little Greek tort when i was there. It loved our safe, well protected courtyard.

I Rafii

Saudi arabia
I'm also currently in Riyadh! Exactly! I was hoping to allow my greek baby to be in the garden but we have a lot of this plant. I might just remove the plant. Not sure.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I'm also currently in Riyadh! Exactly! I was hoping to allow my greek baby to be in the garden but we have a lot of this plant. I might just remove the plant. Not sure.

of course, you could let it roam there and see if it is at all interested in that plant.