Is this plant edible?

Ember909

Location (City and/or State)
California
I was hoping that someone here could recognize this plant and tell me if it is safe for torts to eat. I looked through the Tortoise Table website, and the closest thing I can find is called "couch grass" and is safe for them to eat. But I can't tell if the pictures exactly match the plant, and around where I live there are a few other plants that look very similar, so if anyone here knows about couch grass, that would be a huge help. I've attached pictures of the plant in question. IMG_3506.JPGIMG_3508.JPGIMG_3509.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most grass is edible, however I notice my tortoises don't go for the clump type grasses or ornamental grasses.

Ember909

California
Most grass is edible, however I notice my tortoises don't go for the clump type grasses or ornamental grasses.
Thanks... I guess "safe to eat" doesn't necessarily mean that they like it. Too bad, my yard is full of those things. Is it good for the tortoise? And if so, should I maybe do the thing where you add a tiny bit to the tortoise's normal food, and add more and more over time?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thanks... I guess "safe to eat" doesn't necessarily mean that they like it. Too bad, my yard is full of those things. Is it good for the tortoise? And if so, should I maybe do the thing where you add a tiny bit to the tortoise's normal food, and add more and more over time?
IT is high fiber and has a neutral taste-I love picking the good stalks and stripping the end to chew on while outside