Is this plastron too soft?

Kranamorse

Location (City and/or State)
Gulfport
Hey guys, so I have this 1.5-year-old Burmese star. When I first got the tort I was not too concerned about the plastron as I thought the tortoise was younger than the actual age and thought the flexibility was normal. However, upon learning the age I read the plastron is generally hardened by 12 months, and I became concerned. Another note, tortoise at 1.5 years old is 93g, which I believe is lower than the usual weight for a Burmese star of this age correct? However, he/she has gained 20g in the past 2 months. I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow for a fecal test to see if parasites might be an issue, but just posting here in the meantime to get an opinion.

I've attached a video the plastron "looks" healthy, But when you gently press in the center, it bends inwards, and note I am not pressing hard at all.

Edit: Okay I can't attach a video because the file is too large, so I have inserted a link to the video.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hard to say if it is to soft. They harden at different rates. Does your tortoise get calcium & sunshine?

Kranamorse

Gulfport
Hard to say if it is to soft. They harden at different rates. Does your tortoise get calcium & sunshine?

He does have a pretty big white line between his scutes on the plastron, maybe it’s flexible bc of new growth? And yes at least sunshine weekly with calcium supplements and a cuttlbone in the enclosure. I think I’m going to start doing sunshine daily though

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
He does have a pretty big white line between his scutes on the plastron, maybe it’s flexible bc of new growth? And yes at least sunshine weekly with calcium supplements and a cuttlbone in the enclosure. I think I’m going to start doing sunshine daily though
How long since you replaced your UVB tubes?

My 11 month olds still have a little give on the plastron, but I have to push quite firmly. Aslong as your torts getting UVB and calcium then you should be ok. As Dmmj said, they harden at different rates.

Kranamorse

Gulfport
Thanks for all the replies guys! As an update the plastron has begun to harden albeit slowly [emoji16] I think I’m just being paranoid lol

drew54

Indiana
It looks fine on the video. If it's like a Tupperware lid then is fine if it's like a sponge there is an issue.