Is this pyramiding?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it looks to be. Closed chamber enclosure with 80% humidity and no mercury vapor bulbs will stop it from getting worse.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do all that. I’m so disappointed. I’m trying to do everything right
What is the ambient temp during the day and over night? What type of basking bulb are you using? Have you checked the basking temp by laying a digital thermometer on its back at tortoise shell height and letting it cook for an hour or more?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are you using to read temps and humidity? What is your actual temps, day, night, basking, all over? What is the exact humidity, day and night?
Show a complete pic of the enclosure.
How often do you soak?
If all temps and humidity is actually being read correctly and is where it's suppose to be and you aren't using a mvb, then it likely is due to the way he was started.

Snaz

Sioux Falls, SD 57103
What is the ambient temp during the day and over night? What type of basking bulb are you using? Have you checked the basking temp by laying a digital thermometer on its back at tortoise shell height and letting it cook for an hour or more?
Ambient temp is 81 during the day and 79 at night. Basking bulb is just a flood lamp as you recommended in sulcata care sheet. Basking spot with temp gun is 95-98 degrees. Humidity ranges from 80-84%. I soak daily and use a mixture of coco choir and cypress mulch for substrate.

Snaz

Sioux Falls, SD 57103
What are you using to read temps and humidity? What is your actual temps, day, night, basking, all over? What is the exact humidity, day and night?
Show a complete pic of the enclosure.
How often do you soak?
If all temps and humidity is actually being read correctly and is where it's suppose to be and you aren't using a mvb, then it likely is due to the way he was started.
I use a digital wireless device for humidity and it reads temp also. I have my heat lamps set on a thermostat at 81 degrees (ambient) and the probe for that is in the coolest area and no MVB bulbs

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ambient temp is 81 during the day and 79 at night. Basking bulb is just a flood lamp as you recommended in sulcata care sheet. Basking spot with temp gun is 95-98 degrees. Humidity ranges from 80-84%. I soak daily and use a mixture of coco choir and cypress mulch for substrate.
Night time should not drop below 80. Daytime ambient should climb to near 90 each day. Heat lamps should be on timers, not thermostats. You don't want the "sun" to be going on and off all day. Your ambient heat source, like a CHE or a RHP should be controlled by the thermostat, and the basking lamp should heat the whole enclosure up when it kicks on.

Cool ambient temps cause excessive basking, which is a contributor to pyramiding.

There is a heartening and lighting breakdown and a sulcata care sheet at the end of this thread, with a whole lotta good info before:

Kkwoodson

Colorado
After reading this thread and comparing the poster's tortoise to mine, would you agree that mine is also showing signs of pyramiding?! It's my worst nightmare, I don't have the set up that this awesome tortoise owner has, but will invest in whatever I need in order to keep Dino from pyramiding. Any links to products are welcomed!

Attachments

• IMG_6174.jpg
    IMG_6174.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4

zovick

10 Year Member!
After reading this thread and comparing the poster's tortoise to mine, would you agree that mine is also showing signs of pyramiding?! It's my worst nightmare, I don't have the set up that this awesome tortoise owner has, but will invest in whatever I need in order to keep Dino from pyramiding. Any links to products are welcomed!
Yes, your tortoise has some pyramiding. It is not too severe yet, so follow the advice in the care thread Tom linked in Post #8 above to minimize it going forward.

There is also another thread regarding how to raise sulcata babies, but read the one in Post #8 first, then look for the other one to fine tune your conditions.