Is this ridge a sign of Pyramiding or just his spine (sulcata)

Canbeef

Location (City and/or State)
Houston
I have seen the ridges start to grow on him (1 year) So I made sure his light is okay and double my efforts to make sure he has enough humidity. So I hope that will stop his tiny ridges from growing any taller. But I do not know if that ridge that he has is? I think it might be his spine but I want to check so I do not leave him with something that will continue to harm him. 20220429_223123.jpg20220429_223119.jpg

Canbeef

Houston
He's one year old?!
9 months old sorry. He is only 2 1/2 inches long. I do know that he is really small. He has gotten bigger but not as big as he should. I feed him all he can eat but during winter he did not grow. I switched food and hope that he will grow.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
9 months old sorry. He is only 2 1/2 inches long. I do know that he is really small. He has gotten bigger but not as big as he should. I feed him all he can eat but during winter he did not grow. I switched food and hope that he will grow.
What is the temperature and humidity of his entire enclosure? what are you feeding him, and what bulbs are you using for him?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have seen the ridges start to grow on him (1 year) So I made sure his light is okay and double my efforts to make sure he has enough humidity. So I hope that will stop his tiny ridges from growing any taller. But I do not know if that ridge that he has is? I think it might be his spine but I want to check so I do not leave him with something that will continue to harm him. View attachment 343991View attachment 343992
The ridge going from front to back in the midline of the first and second central scutes is the spine. The ridges around the edges of all the scutes are the beginnings of pyramiding, though.

It loks as though your tortoise needs more humidity and possibly more UV and vitamin and calcium supplements. I recommend Rep-Cal (Ultrafine with D3) and Herptivite be put on the tortoise's feed DAILY.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The small bit of newer growth has come in quite flat. So it looks like your tortoise is not pyramiding and your current condtions are not causing pyramiding. The very first bit of growth did start to pyramid a bit, but that probably was the breeder before you got it and may be an indication of why it is growing so slowly. A dry start is often a cause of very slow growth the first year.

However, a main cause of slow growth where there has been some growth in the past is temperatures that are too cold. Sulcatas need a minimum temperature of 80° overnight and the ability to warm up with temps in the 90°s daytime. Check the temperatures in the corners and hide where your tortoise chooses to sleep. Deep in the corner, not air temperature. I"ll be it is way too cold.

Read the post detailing proper care and come back with any questions.

Canbeef

Houston
The small bit of newer growth has come in quite flat. So it looks like your tortoise is not pyramiding and your current condtions are not causing pyramiding. The very first bit of growth did start to pyramid a bit, but that probably was the breeder before you got it and may be an indication of why it is growing so slowly. A dry start is often a cause of very slow growth the first year.

However, a main cause of slow growth where there has been some growth in the past is temperatures that are too cold. Sulcatas need a minimum temperature of 80° overnight and the ability to warm up with temps in the 90°s daytime. Check the temperatures in the corners and hide where your tortoise chooses to sleep. Deep in the corner, not air temperature. I"ll be it is way too cold.

Read the post detailing proper care and come back with any questions.

So you are right. During the winter he was too cold I thought he had enough heat gradient but now does not. I have moved him outside for the spring/ summer the daytime humidity is in the 60%s and nighttime in the 80-90%. I do soak him now every day. He gets 6 hours of indirect sunlight and 4 hours of direct sunlight if he chooses to go out into it which he does. He is in a 4 by 2 foot enclosure with half of it in shade the other have can be hi in the sun. The corner in the shade is 10-15 degrees cooler and there is a large water dish for him at all times. I feed him now zoomed grassland pellets along with fresh grass and every couple of days mulberry leaves or grapevine. I also add in vitemans once a week though I am thinking that I should up that. Sorry for the paragraph just want to make sure that I am giving him the proper care now. I think I got everything, okay but just want to make sure. Also thank you for replying.

Canbeef

Houston
What is the temperature and humidity of his entire enclosure? what are you feeding him, and what bulbs are you using for him?
His hold one had a gradient from 100 to 70 degrees. But I do not think it was a good gradient. I was using an EXOterra reptile UVB 150 for his light. I was feeding him timothy hay. I know have him outside with 4 corner temps of 100-86-78-78 He likes to stay in the shaded ones in the day and then in the evening and night come to the heated one. I have now switched from timothy hay in the past two weeks to ZooMed grass pellets with fresh grass and a small piece of kale, mulberry, and grapevine. never all at once, I change them up. His humidity now is 62% as that is what is outside and at night it goes up to 84% most nights but I still soak him to make sure he is okay. Thank you for replying and answering my question. I am glad people are here to help.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
His hold one had a gradient from 100 to 70 degrees. But I do not think it was a good gradient. I was using an EXOterra reptile UVB 150 for his light. I was feeding him timothy hay. I know have him outside with 4 corner temps of 100-86-78-78 He likes to stay in the shaded ones in the day and then in the evening and night come to the heated one. I have now switched from timothy hay in the past two weeks to ZooMed grass pellets with fresh grass and a small piece of kale, mulberry, and grapevine. never all at once, I change them up. His humidity now is 62% as that is what is outside and at night it goes up to 84% most nights but I still soak him to make sure he is okay. Thank you for replying and answering my question. I am glad people are here to help.
Humidity seems to low. Also the 70s are to low for the cool side. It should be in the 80s and the warm side I believe should be low 90s. @Tom and @wellington will be able to help and correct me if im wrong.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A baby that size needs to be housed mostly inside. Outside all day is not good for babies. It slows their growth tremendously and makes them pyramid.

Hay is for older sulcatas. Babies need freshly sprouted grasses, weeds, flowers,, etc... Zoomed grassland tortoise food is a god supplemental food, but I wouldn't feed it every day. Grape leaves and mulberry leaves are also great foods, but more variety would be good.

Read the care sheet the MarkW linked for you for more tips.

Canbeef

Houston
Basking temp 95-100 humidity 80% or even higher is fin

A baby that size needs to be housed mostly inside. Outside all day is not good for babies. It slows their growth tremendously and makes them pyramid.

Hay is for older sulcatas. Babies need freshly sprouted grasses, weeds, flowers,, etc... Zoomed grassland tortoise food is a god supplemental food, but I wouldn't feed it every day. Grape leaves and mulberry leaves are also great foods, but more variety would be good.

Read the care sheet the MarkW linked for you for more tips.
I can not find the post that has it but what are all the weeds that they can eat? Thank you for your time to help me raise my Tortoise the right way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can not find the post that has it but what are all the weeds that they can eat? Thank you for your time to help me raise my Tortoise the right way.
Here is one of the lists:

There is also more helpful info in the care sheet: