Is this right?? (sphagnum moss)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Right for what? I don't think any of us have ever said to use sphagnum moss for substrate. Some of us might use it in the hiding places, but most of us don't use it because some tortoises may eat it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ive used peat moss, but it kind of depends on the grade. Is it finely ground or big bunches of “real sphagnum” that ppl use more in hanging baskets?

Spread some out so we can see what it looks like.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
That can be used a
Right for what? I don't think any of us have ever said to use sphagnum moss for substrate. Some of us might use it in the hiding places, but most of us don't use it because some tortoises may eat it.
that can be used as substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is this okay for tortoises?
No its not right, and no, its not oaky for tortoises. It will cause shell rot even in species that don't normally get shell rot.

That is not suitable for tortoise substrate.

What species and size tortoise are you looking to get substrate for?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
No its not right, and no, its not oaky for tortoises. It will cause shell rot even in species that don't normally get shell rot.

That is not suitable for tortoise substrate.

What species and size tortoise are you looking to get substrate for?
No. It can't. Not without causing damage to the plastron of any tortoise housed on it.
What would be the effect? I use Scott’s top soil?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What would be the effect? I use Scott’s top soil?
It causes the plastron to rot away.

Soil should never be used as a tortoise substrate. It is made of composted yard waste and there is no way to know what it is made of. Could be something toxic, and I've bought bags in the past that had toxic leaves in them. With the exception of baby Testudo or baby desert tortoises, fine grade orchid bark works best.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
It causes the plastron to rot away.

Soil should never be used as a tortoise substrate. It is made of composted yard waste and there is no way to know what it is made of. Could be something toxic, and I've bought bags in the past that had toxic leaves in them. With the exception of baby Testudo or baby desert tortoises, fine grade orchid bark works best.
What?! So what orchid bark? I know it can be used but there has to be more than 1 way to keep them. (substrate)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What?! So what orchid bark? I know it can be used but there has to be more than 1 way to keep them. (substrate)
There are many many ways to keep them. Some ways are bad, like things that are too dry and have a desiccating effect, or things that might be toxic. Other ways are good, like substrates that can be kept damp and resist mold and mildew.

In the past, soil, sand, aspen shavings, rabbit pellets, grass pellets, shredded newspaper, compressed newspaper pellets, walnut bedding, corn cob bedding, Sani-chips, pine shavings, cedar bedding, Repti-sand, Calci-sand, and many other substrates have been recommend. All of them are no good for one reason or more. We know better now. Well, some of us do.

There are three substrates that are suitable for indoor tortoise enclosures in my opinion. Coco coir, cypress mulch and fine grade orchid bark. I don't like coco coir for most applications because its too messy, but its not unsafe. Cypress mulch is okay, but its stinky, dirty, it smells like the swamp it came from, and the pieces are not uniform and sometimes sharp or large. This leaves orchid bark. Its cheap. Safe. Easy to find. Clean. Lasts a long time. Not an impaction hazard. Smells good. Easy for tortoises to walk on. Holds water well which allows for evaporation and humidity generation. Etc... I just have no complaints about it. It works the best.

For other reptiles I like other substrates sometimes. For my outdoor enclosure, I just use the ground where I build them.