Is this shell rot and if so, what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommytoeandj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
Hello! I posted some photos of the underside of our 1-year-old Greek tortoise, and doing so noted some dark brown/black discoloration and softness on the underside of the shell. I have read a few posts about shell rot, but this is either a really bad case or something else. The shell is as clean as possible in the picture - the discoloration is IN the shell, not on the shell. I have read about using Betadine on the affected portion but am still not clear how to apply, how often to apply, or how long to apply the Betadine, or if there is something else to do entirely. This problem was already starting over 7 months ago when we took the tortoise to the vet for a check-up, and the vet didn't say anything about it. Please help!!

Attachments

• 20120402-IMG_7422.jpg
    20120402-IMG_7422.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20120402-IMG_7428.jpg
    20120402-IMG_7428.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 96

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/ronald.htm

This site has some great plastron pics....you may want to go ahead and take a look and enlarge the pics enough to see that they can have very different looking coloration/bands/spots....and then look at your little one (who by the way is absolutely adorable :p) and you can likely decide better since you are there live and in person.....others will be along to offer their information as well....

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
some species have different patterns of coloration on the bottom that is Normal..
your appears to have a indent that doenst looks normal.. is that a soft area?
Does your tort get calcium? sunshine? proper diet??

mommytoeandj

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
Laura said:
some species have different patterns of coloration on the bottom that is Normal..
your appears to have a indent that doenst looks normal.. is that a soft area?
Does your tort get calcium? sunshine? proper diet??
Thanks for the response - our tortoise feeds mainly on mixed greens with shredded carrots occasionally, and dandelion greens when they are available here in Wisconsin. We have not been as good at using calcium lately as we ought - I will resume that tomorrow. It is under a Reptisun mercury bulb for 12 hours a day and we try to get it outside for a short time when the weather is warmer, but it's rare in this part of the country! The indent part is a little soft. Any further suggestions?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I do not see any shell rot. She is looking good. BTW, looking like a female at this point.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I don't know- something looks odd there to me- but this is not a species I am familiar with so may just be seeing things.

Kerasa

5 Year Member
Arlington, TX
mommytoeandj said:
Hello! I posted some photos of the underside of our 1-year-old Greek tortoise, and doing so noted some dark brown/black discoloration and softness on the underside of the shell. I have read a few posts about shell rot, but this is either a really bad case or something else. The shell is as clean as possible in the picture - the discoloration is IN the shell, not on the shell. I have read about using Betadine on the affected portion but am still not clear how to apply, how often to apply, or how long to apply the Betadine, or if there is something else to do entirely. This problem was already starting over 7 months ago when we took the tortoise to the vet for a check-up, and the vet didn't say anything about it. Please help!!

The coloration seems fine to me but there does seem to be a soft spot. I am a Greek owner but no expert. Post this in the Greek section and I am sure you will get the info you are looking for. Here is a pic of my female to give you a comparison...

Bosco4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.