Is this shell rot??? W/pictures

Momo

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

Just noticed some slightly whitish part along the scutes of the plastron. Please let me know if it's shell rot? There is no sign of the whitish on the carapace. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

Momo

5 Year Member
I don't think so. See if it wipes off with a damp paper towel.
It looks like hard water staining

No I've been scrubbing Sera lately lightly with a toothbrush during bathtime, and it doens't come off! Not sure what it is then.

FloppyJellyRoll

If you keep your tortoise on a hard surface (cement, rocks, etc.) it could just be abrasion from those surfaces.... Either way it doesn't look like shell rot... If any pus or sticky wet fluids appear around that area get to the vet as quick as possible.

Momo

5 Year Member
If you keep your tortoise on a hard surface (cement, rocks, etc.) it could just be abrasion from those surfaces.... Either way it doesn't look like shell rot... If any pus or sticky wet fluids appear around that area get to the vet as quick as possible.

Hey..yes they have a flagstone, and a tile for eating and wearing down their beaks and nails. But no pus or pain when I push on it. thanks :)

jockma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
Doesn't look like rot, I agree, the plastron is likely being scraped by hard surfaces. Mine has some rot scars and some light abrasions from the concrete in the yard but they're smooth and worn down, maybe yours are just fresh.

Just remember the tortoise owner's shell rot mantra, though: When in doubt, put athlete's foot cream on it. :p