Is this shell rot?

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi Guys, I'm really worried about my tortoise, I think she may have Shell Rot but being a new owner I have no idea if this is the case but it doesnt look right. Her shell has been like this since I got her 3 weeks ago from the local pet shop. Could somebody please look at my attached picture and give me some advice on what the best action to take is?

Attachments

• Elsie shellrot.jpg
    Elsie shellrot.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 50

Camryn

Tampa, FL
To me it looks like it, but I could be wrong.
Soak in warm water, and scrub gently with an old toothbrush. Try putting a little anti-fungal ointment on the area, or even jock itch cream Lol.
Good luck! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to tell. It looks like it could just be dry too. The cream mentioned above wouldn't hurt if it is a fungus/rot.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
How do you keep the enclosure? (really humid/wet?)....
Hi Angela, the temperatures in her enclosure are usually around 30-35 under her basking light and 20-25 in the shade. Its wood chips she has to walk on and i put her water bowl in the shaded side of the enclosure. she does get a lot of time outside though when its sunny. I love letting her out and watching her run around. Her enclosure is however in a conservatory (similar to a green house so can get quite humid but i have aircon that automatically turns on if the temperature goes over 30 in the conservatory. Do you think her picture looks like shell rot? I ordered an athletes foot cream yesterday to treat it.
Thanks for all your help so far its really appreciated :)

Camryn

Tampa, FL
Hi Angela, the temperatures in her enclosure are usually around 30-35 under her basking light and 20-25 in the shade. Its wood chips she has to walk on and i put her water bowl in the shaded side of the enclosure. she does get a lot of time outside though when its sunny. I love letting her out and watching her run around. Her enclosure is however in a conservatory (similar to a green house so can get quite humid but i have aircon that automatically turns on if the temperature goes over 30 in the conservatory. Do you think her picture looks like shell rot? I ordered an athletes foot cream yesterday to treat it.
Thanks for all your help so far its really appreciated :)

I hope you mean 30-35 Celsius:rolleyes:
Take a cotton ball and apply over the area for about a week.. If it doesn't go away keep applying it, and make sure she gets some good warm soaks.
Good luck :)

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
I hope you mean 30-35 Celsius:rolleyes:
Take a cotton ball and apply over the area for about a week.. If it doesn't go away keep applying it, and make sure she gets some good warm soaks.
Good luck :)
Lol yeah Celsius. Thanks for everyones help! Dont know what I would do without you guys :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Her enclosure is however in a conservatory
wood chips

I would change the substrate to begin with....wet chips of wood rubbing across the bottom of the shell for some reason just seems not desirable...also, the wood chips wiggle a bit to much to offer a sturdy earth footing for the tort to walk about on---also a firm footing allows the tort to work the leg muscles properly.....

For the species of tort I believe that there is just too much constant humidity....the tortoise needs a way to allow the shell to dry out in order to maintain the health of the shell overall....now, don't get me wrong, some humidity is good--- but I would be curious what the humidity reading is for the conservatory as well as the reading closer to inside the enclosure as well....

I bet changing out the substrate will offer a smoother/overall firmer footing for the tortoise and the tortoise will benefit.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Its a mixture of minor shell fungus and growth. Those swirly little white lines you see all over her plastron is just growth. In the middle is just a very minor touch of shell fungus…..Anti-fungal cream, anything with clotrimazole, would do fine. Get a toothbrush and scrub off her plastron.
Shell-rot is very different. Seems to just be used as a catch-all phrase for any shell defects though. Shell rot is a bacterial or fungal infection that gets under the scutes. Causes soft, discolored areas and smells horrible. Very serious, and if left alone can lead to septic infection.
Thankfully, your tort doesn't have anything similar to that….You have shell fungus. Very minor in comparison.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
ascreplyingpost: 911762 said:
I would change the substrate to begin with....wet chips of wood rubbing across the bottom of the shell for some reason just seems not desirable...also, the wood chips wiggle a bit to much to offer a sturdy earth footing for the tort to walk about on---also a firm footing allows the tort to work the leg muscles properly.....

For the species of tort I believe that there is just too much constant humidity....the tortoise needs a way to allow the shell to dry out in order to maintain the health of the shell overall....now, don't get me wrong, some humidity is good--- but I would be curious what the humidity reading is for the conservatory as well as the reading closer to inside the enclosure as well....

I bet changing out the substrate will offer a smoother/overall firmer footing for the tortoise and the tortoise will benefit.
Thanks for replying :) so I have went and bought a new substrate which is a mix specific for tortoises and has sterilised top soil sand and limestone grit. Would this be more suitable? If not what would you recommend?
With regards to the temperature although the air con has a temperature control I also has 2 thermometers in her enclosure and do monitor it regularly. What temperature would you recommend for the enclosure? Thanks again for your help and advice!

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Its a mixture of minor shell fungus and growth. Those swirly little white lines you see all over her plastron is just growth. In the middle is just a very minor touch of shell fungus…..Anti-fungal cream, anything with clotrimazole, would do fine. Get a toothbrush and scrub off her plastron.
Shell-rot is very different. Seems to just be used as a catch-all phrase for any shell defects though. Shell rot is a bacterial or fungal infection that gets under the scutes. Causes soft, discolored areas and smells horrible. Very serious, and if left alone can lead to septic infection.
Thankfully, your tort doesn't have anything similar to that….You have shell fungus. Very minor in comparison.
Thanks turtlepete! You have really eased my mind and gave me great advice

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would not use a substrate with sand nor gravel/limestone grit pieces....I would use a earth type substrate....like the real outdoors ....