IS THIS SUCCULENT SAFE TO EAT?

huaban

Location (City and/or State)
Cypress, TX
Hi guys,

I am wondering if anybody can ID this succulent and tell me this is safe to eat. Thanks

image1.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would pretty much venture to say that it’s probably ok to feed. But why ruin a perfectly healthy succulent/houseplant? I guess you could pluck off a “pad/leaf” now & then, but unless you have an endless supply, i feel it’s a shame to feed one off plants like this.

Anyhow, not sure exactly the type. Im guessing you don’t spray pesticides on it.

I vote to save the succulent.

ps - what kind of tortoise?

huaban

Cypress, TX
I would pretty much venture to say that it’s probably ok to feed. But why ruin a perfectly healthy succulent/houseplant? I guess you could pluck off a “pad/leaf” now & then, but unless you have an endless supply, i feel it’s a shame to feed one off plants like this.

Anyhow, not sure exactly the type. Im guessing you don’t spray pesticides on it.

I vote to save the succulent.

ps - what kind of tortoise?
Thanks for suggestion. Actually this one fell off from a huge succulent plant, I am not sure it can survive without root. So I just stick it into potting soil.

I got an Aldabra hatchling and a Radiated hatchling.

huaban

Cypress, TX
It looks like a young jade plant to me. If it is a jade plant then according to the tortoise table it is safe to feed in moderation but may cause diarrhea is sent too much too frequently
Thanks. However, it looks like paddle plant to me. Just confused.

Jannra

Canadian Prairie
Thanks. However, it looks like paddle plant to me. Just confused.
I have never heard of paddle plant. We don't have very many succulents in western Canada and most of those ones sold as indoor plants are only labeled succulent at the store. I agree that it does look like paddle plant pics now that I have looked that up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It IS a paddle plant, and is in the kalanchoe family.

Reactions: Tom

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks for suggestion. Actually this one fell off from a huge succulent plant, I am not sure it can survive without root. So I just stick it into potting soil.

I got an Aldabra hatchling and a Radiated hatchling.

Upload a pix of the mother plant this one started from.

Daisylu

Costa Mesa
Hi guys,

I am wondering if anybody can ID this succulent and tell me this is safe to eat. Thanks

View attachment 324927
New member here. I believe this is a kalenchoe thrysiflora.
Hi guys,

View attachment 324927
Hi! New member here and while I haven’t posted I read I can on this Forum for my two sulcatas. I believe this is kalenchoe thrysiflora (flapjack, paddleplant). According to the Tortoisetable.org cacti and succulent list it is an absolute no. I was disappointed because I have lots of this growing in my garden. I’m a novice (so I am very cautious) maybe other people have found it to be fine.