Is this that dreaded, vile yellow bump issue?

ReiGuy

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
also sorry for the late reply i was at the eye cancer place all day monday for testing or i would have posted sooner. hoping you see the pm message before the vet so we can over some details before you go in so you have some info on your side as many vets honestly have never seen a case of this before and really have no idea what to do with it and throw meds that dont work at it.

Thank you so much for your feedback and PM! This is very helpful. I just sent a follow-up message to you.

Based on that, I'll wait to hear back from you prior to proceeding. Thank you again.

Also an update for all, the seller did not respond to my polite inquiry. This seller says they offer lifetime support for your tortoise.... this seller eagerly responded to all my texts within minutes when I was buying a tortoise from them, so it is disappointing they still haven't responded to me.

I will be calling the seller today and keep you posted. Once everything is all confirmed, I will be politely sharing my opinions on all social media and public outlets possible for others to see.

ReiGuy

NJ
I'm really sorry that you are going through this situation and hope the seller does get in contact with you soon. When the time comes to share your opinions then I'd suggest posting here: Tortoise Vendor Reviews | Tortoise Forum

Thank you, I appreciate the support and will do so. Thankful there are nice folks on this site.

Want to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, so hoping I can have a good conversation with them today.

I will be out tens of thousands of dollars and left with a lifetime of grief if my snakes get this.... Since the seller has other and animals like tegus and chameleons, I want to ask them how they've been managing all of it. I'm sure it can't be easy :(

ReiGuy

NJ
Wow. I’m hoping that this virus/bacteria isnt transmitted to your snake collection. You would be devastated. Fingers crossed that you can keep it contained. Good luck

Thank you for your support, I really do appreciate it.

ReiGuy

NJ
I've included the sellers response below. I just called them immediately after and they didn't pick up. I left a vm requesting a call back.

I am not satisfied with the response. Looks like lip service to me. I will not let them slink out of this so easy. After reading more about this, the bumps can take months to develop, like how my tort just got them a day ago when it was born in july... Thus, their claim below about not seeing spots for months means nothing. The torts he sold that were litter mates could have developed spots this month like mine.

I will be calling them until they pick up and return my call.

Also IMPORTANT****
Does anyone know a seller in AZ that offers albino sulacata???

The seller didn't say who they bought from but they claim they bought infected albino sulacata from a seller in AZ. Please be cautious if buying.

Good morning Anthony,
I am sorry to hear about the sulcata. Thanks for letting me know.

I have had some experience with this as I purchased some baby albino sulcatas from a breeder in Arizona about a year ago. Well, these babies developed this condition as you described and eventually died.
I breed several other types of reptiles and have not had any other issues.
I held on to the baby sulcatas in the pic which I had sent you as I wanted to make sure they were ok.
They were growing and eating well. They never showed any signs of the yellow bumps.
I even planned to keep a couple, but changed my mind and sold them last month. These continued to show no signs of the yellow bumps and I did not get any feedback from the group of tortoises which you picked from that they got the yellow bumps.
I hope the best for your sulcata

ReiGuy

NJ
Well, the fact that he had the albinos that developed the disease corks it for me. He's responsible.

I agree and just got off a 1 hour phone call with them. They will be refunding me for the tortoise and did mention they heard from another buyer about the yellow bumps from a different litter. They told me they euthanized their tortoises that had it and suggested I do it to protect my snakes. If mastershake can take my tort I will send to him but if not, I think I may have to go the euthanasia route.

Here are some other notes from the conversation I took.

-the seller has not tested all their animals and despite this is having more babies this year and with the intent to sell them
-the seller will be using the same cages for their new babies this year when they hatch and told me they cleaned with bleach and will also be cleaning them with ammonia to try to ensure the disease is no longer in them
-they will make an attempt to contact other buyers but because some transactions are cash they might to be able to track down all
-they bought the albinos from Hassan Z. Out of Arizona. Apparently hassan sells bulk 35 dollar sulcatas and was also selling the albino sulcatas for cheaper, that the seller bought
-the seller has an adult sulacata from hassan he hasn't seen issues in yet

Based on my conversation, my faith is still there that this person has a kind heart and does care. A good person in a poopy situation. I am concerned they have not tested their animals and are still breeding but wish them nothing but the best.

Once I decide what I'm doing with my sulacata i will also continue to update the seller, as they requested. They also said they'd like to know more about this disease and mentioned they've talked to mastershake and Tom in the past. I will be sending them all documentation I have in hopes it'll help them.
-

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I agree and just got off a 1 hour phone call with them. They will be refunding me for the tortoise and did mention they heard from another buyer about the yellow bumps from a different litter. They told me they euthanized their tortoises that had it and suggested I do it to protect my snakes. If mastershake can take my tort I will send to him but if not, I think I may have to go the euthanasia route.

Here are some other notes from the conversation I took.

-the seller has not tested all their animals and despite this is having more babies this year and with the intent to sell them
-the seller will be using the same cages for their new babies this year when they hatch and told me they cleaned with bleach and will also be cleaning them with ammonia to try to ensure the disease is no longer in them
-they will make an attempt to contact other buyers but because some transactions are cash they might to be able to track down all
-they bought the albinos from Hassan Z. Out of Arizona. Apparently hassan sells bulk 35 dollar sulcatas and was also selling the albino sulcatas for cheaper, that the seller bought
-the seller has an adult sulacata from hassan he hasn't seen issues in yet

Based on my conversation, my faith is still there that this person has a kind heart and does care. A good person in a poopy situation. I am concerned they have not tested their animals and are still breeding but wish them nothing but the best.

Once I decide what I'm doing with my sulacata i will also continue to update the seller, as they requested. They also said they'd like to know more about this disease and mentioned they've talked to mastershake and Tom in the past. I will be sending them all documentation I have in hopes it'll help them.
-
A refund can't fix your heartache over your tort. I so hope this doesn't infect your other reptiles.

ReiGuy

NJ
A refund can't fix your heartache over your tort. I so hope this doesn't infect your other reptiles.

So true and that's the sad part. Having to put down my beautiful, little smooth ball of a tort is going to be one of the hardest things I've ever done. Been in tears all day but after speaking to multiple experts on here, it just has to be done. I'll never forget this tort and how much joy it brought me. Tears are rolling down my face as I write this and I just am so upset and disgusted right now. Time heals all but this is gonna take a lot of time. I setup everything perfect, followed all the expert advice and chose the seller based on recommendations on this here forum, only for him to send me an infected baby.

I also found out the seller knew they had an issue with their January 2020 litter, from someone on this forum, but they proceeded to sell the July 2020 litter that I bought from anyway!!!!

This tells me they only care about $$$ and from the amount of sulacata they sell annually, should be ashamed of potentially infecting homes all over the USA.

I really hope they are not permitted to sell on here until they prove they've tested all animals and have clean babies. If not, future TFO members could have the same thing happen, just like me. I don't want them to feel what I am right now...

I literally saw people endorsing this person for hatchlings a few weeks ago.... enough is enough I am shining a bright light.

I am wishing the best for my snakes. I am in the process of consulting my attorney in case something very sad happens from all this.

For the record I would never, ever want to pursue legal action but I like to prepare for everything in life. And just like I prepared for my little sulacata and setup a closed chamber that will now be going in the garage - I will now prepare myself for justice for my animals if need be.

Animals are not commodities! Compassion over profits always.
Animals deserve justice, they have no voice.
I will be the voice of my animals.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
It is pretty devastating seeing owners come here again and again with these poor little torts. It must be pretty terrible to have to make that decision. Really hope your snakes are ok and that you have the opportunity to try again with a tort.

ReiGuy

NJ
It is pretty devastating seeing owners come here again and again with these poor little torts. It must be pretty terrible to have to make that decision. Really hope your snakes are ok and that you have the opportunity to try again with a tort.

Thank you. I appreciate your compassion.

I wouldn't have known to buy from the seller I did, if not for this forum. With that said, I am not saying the forum steered me wrong back then, because everything was still developing.... eveyone here is seriosily the nicest, kindest people. But now that well-respected members know what this seller is doing, they should not be permitted on here until they prove their facility is clean.

The other member on here that bought in January is well respected. I feel so bad for that member who bought from this person in January 2020. Im very upset this person was still selling sulacata throughout the rest of last year though, as i then bought one of those torts.

I'm out lots of money becasue of this person already. Throwing out a closed chamber full of gear and a jungle of lush pothos, it sickens me all as I do not like to waste but I can't risk it.and i feel bad for the plants too. They're gorgeous.

Meanwhile this seller is still using the same cages!!! Sure, they're being cleaned but a responsible breeder would junk them and start over. No one said animals are cheap.

The well respected member that was infected also told me they had to throw out their closed chambers like me.... so this breeder is being negligent IMO. Wouldn't even buy dry goods from them now, as I don't trust their practices.

ReiGuy

NJ
I just got off the phone with the reptile vet and euthanasia is scheduled for this evening. Please give all your torts some mazuri or whatever treat they love for me.

Life is so darn precious and this has reminded me once again. Told my tort it's not her fault and I'm really gonna miss her. My life isn't going to be the same. It's going to be weird waking up with no tort to soak and feed tomorrow but I've got all my other pets who still need me to remain strong for them.

Thank you again to everyone. Without you, this disgusting bacteria would have remained in my home longer and I never would have known about austwickia and how deadly it is.

I am hoping my snakes will remain safe and ill keep you all updated on how my snakes are doing. If something happens to them, I will be seeking justice.

I'll say it again, animals are not commodities!!!!
Compassion over profits.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I just got off the phone with the reptile vet and euthanasia is scheduled for this evening. Please give all your torts some mazuri or whatever treat they love for me.

Life is so darn precious and this has reminded me once again. Told my tort it's not her fault and I'm really gonna miss her. My life isn't going to be the same. It's going to be weird waking up with no tort to soak and feed tomorrow but I've got all my other pets who still need me to remain strong for them.

Thank you again to everyone. Without you, this disgusting bacteria would have remained in my home longer and I never would have known about austwickia and how deadly it is.

I am hoping my snakes will remain safe and ill keep you all updated on how my snakes are doing. If something happens to them, I will be seeking justice.

I'll say it again, animals are not commodities!!!!
Compassion over profits.
I am so truly sorry that you have to make this excruciating decision. I know it is partially out of fear for your other animals, but I'm sure you are also saving this beautiful tort from horrible suffering. Please know that I am holding you close to my heart.

ReiGuy

NJ
I am so truly sorry that you have to make this excruciating decision. I know it is partially out of fear for your other animals, but I'm sure you are also saving this beautiful tort from horrible suffering. Please know that I am holding you close to my heart.

I cannot convey how much I appreciate your support. I hope she'll be in a better place. And I also hope this seller does not have the privilege of selling to other TFO members like me, until their facility is confirmed clean.

Becasue after all, it is a privilege to be here. Those who are privileged should act accordingly. If not, they do not deserve the privilege to be on this site or sell animals here, in my sincerest of opinions.

ReiGuy

NJ
Also if anyone is looking for a sulcata this year, I beg you to please PM me. This seller is intending to sell more toroises this year and i would hate for anyone else to buy one from him over someone like Tom, which I did. Do not make the same mistake, I beg you. Wait two years if you need to get one from Tom and the other senior member approved vendors. It will be worth the wait and your heart won't ache <3

The seller I bought from is a member here so be careful. They're also on morph market.

I definitely hope to have the privilege of purchasing a Tom sulcata when the time is right.
But first, Its going to be quite some time before I even consider it. I can't risk more lives.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Also if anyone is looking for a sulcata this year, I beg you to please PM me. This seller is intending to sell more toroises this year and i would hate for anyone else to buy one from him over someone like Tom, which I did. Do not make the same mistake, I beg you. Wait two years if you need to get one from Tom and the other senior member approved vendors. It will be worth the wait and your heart won't ache <3

The seller I bought from is a member here so be careful. They're also on morph market.

I definitely hope to have the privilege of purchasing a Tom sulcata when the time is right.
But first, Its going to be quite some time before I even consider it. I can't risk more lives.
Understandable that you'd need some time. Hopefully this won't discourage you from experiencing of living with a tort in the future.

ReiGuy

NJ
Understandable that you'd need some time. Hopefully this won't discourage you from experiencing of living with a tort in the future.
Definitely not, I can confirm that. A sulcata is still one of my top dream pets. Just these months with this one grew my love for them even more.

But since austwickia took 5 months to appear in my tort, I beleive I must exercise ultimate caution.
IE: if my snakes did already become infected somehow, it could take months like the tort for the bumps to appear.

I am also talking with Greg to see if he may have any recommendations on proactive testing I can do on my snakes without signs of bumps. I really just want to know/have medical evidence they're okay.

But once I take all the necessary steps to ensure my home is clean, and drop another 1k on a new closed chamber and accessories, ill be ready to welcome a new mini Boulder into mt heart.