Is this that dreaded, vile yellow bump issue?

ReiGuy

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
You click on "members" and you'll find the moderators there.

In my case, on my Kindle, I click on the three horizontal bars to the left if the forum's insignis at the top of the page .
Thank you, this was very helpful and was able to find the moderator list

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Dear @ReiGuy,
First of all my heart breaks for you and your family.
I am truly sorry that this happened to you and your little guy.
I have been following the awful yellow bump stories on TFO for 6 months and every time it made me run and check on my hatchling.

Very disappointing that someone in such a close community l, full of caring members is pulling sh** like that. As many know I got my sulcata from the internet. Less then reputable source - I didn’t know better. But with huge help from many members Herbie is a growing tortoise.
But this situation simply makes me mad. We are here because we are all learning and sharing experiencesand want to give the best possible care to all of our pets.

I am sending all the healing energy to your family and sending lots of positive vibes to your snakes.
In all this sadness I believe your snakes are going to healthy.

This is unfortunate but I feel like this person should be exposed especially after admitting things they have done.
Simply to warn others.

Sending you and your family a big hug.

❤️❤️

ReiGuy

NJ
Dear @ReiGuy,
First of all my heart breaks for you and your family.
I am truly sorry that this happened to you and your little guy.
I have been following the awful yellow bump stories on TFO for 6 months and every time it made me run and check on my hatchling.

Very disappointing that someone in such a close community l, full of caring members is pulling sh** like that. As many know I got my sulcata from the internet. Less then reputable source - I didn’t know better. But with huge help from many members Herbie is a growing tortoise.
But this situation simply makes me mad. We are here because we are all learning and sharing experiencesand want to give the best possible care to all of our pets.

I am sending all the healing energy to your family and sending lots of positive vibes to your snakes.
In all this sadness I believe your snakes are going to healthy.

This is unfortunate but I feel like this person should be exposed especially after admitting things they have done.
Simply to warn others.

Sending you and your family a big hug.

❤️❤️

Agata thank you for reaching out <3 I appreciate your support and positive vibes and I am so grateful for the good people like you on here.

I am ecstatic to hear Herbie is doing well ?There really are some amazing people here, who have helped so many and I think it is astounding.

However, I also agree with you regarding certain members, especially the one I bought from.

Essentially, I came here instead of buying off underground reptiles or Facebook, and chose a breeder based on the recommendations of this community. The seller let me down and all of this reflects poorly on TFO, I must say. It is no ones fault on here but with members like masrershake on Facebook, I now see there is positives and negatives to all communities.

IE: Facebook might have a lot of bad seeds but then there's Greg who is amazing. Where as TFO may be mostly positive members, but then there's the one I dealt with, who undermined TFO. (And apparently this user gets no consequences for it)

Also, while you may have bought from an unreputbale source per say, I am so happy your herbie is doing well! Meanwhile, the supposed respected member here i bought from sent me an infected tortoise............

This all opened my eyes a lot.... to say the very least ?

As said in one of my favorite Brady Bunch episodes: Caveat Emptor

BTW I am awaiting additional feedback from the moderators regarding the member/members in general who pull this stuff. Thus far though, it sounds like their hands are tied and they can do nothing.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
May anyone please let me know where I can find the list of all current moderators here? I would like to PM them but cant find a listing of what members they are?
Well, I am coming late to this wake. You and I have pm'd and had conversation so you know where I'm coming from. I don't have any words to comfort you. We've talked about Bob, he was over 100 lbs when I, yes, me, dug a hole in my Sulcata yard, and drug Bob to the hole, not big enuf. Drag Bob out and dig some more, sit in the mud and cry. Try him in the hole again, still too small. Dig, cry, dig, vomit, cry. It got dark with the hole still too small. I couldn't pull on him anymore, so I covered him up, and after putting all my other animals to bed, I took a sleeping bag out and slept in my Sulcata pen close to Bob so I could protect him from any predators.
When it got light, I pulled him away from the hole where he had laid all night. I started digging in the hole, and thought it had rained or something as it had water in it, as it got lighter I saw that I was standing in hs grave, full of blood.
And this is the last time I will relate that story. I am so sorry you lost your baby. Hard to do what you did, but it was the right thing, and I support you

ReiGuy

NJ
Well, I am coming late to this wake. You and I have pm'd and had conversation so you know where I'm coming from. I don't have any words to comfort you. We've talked about Bob, he was over 100 lbs when I, yes, me, dug a hole in my Sulcata yard, and drug Bob to the hole, not big enuf. Drag Bob out and dig some more, sit in the mud and cry. Try him in the hole again, still too small. Dig, cry, dig, vomit, cry. It got dark with the hole still too small. I couldn't pull on him anymore, so I covered him up, and after putting all my other animals to bed, I took a sleeping bag out and slept in my Sulcata pen close to Bob so I could protect him from any predators.
When it got light, I pulled him away from the hole where he had laid all night. I started digging in the hole, and thought it had rained or something as it had water in it, as it got lighter I saw that I was standing in hs grave, full of blood.
And this is the last time I will relate that story. I am so sorry you lost your baby. Hard to do what you did, but it was the right thing, and I support you

My dearest sympathies to you Maggie and your dear Bob. No one should have to go through something like that. I loved reading your stories about him and seeing all of his pictures. Bob sure was a handsome guy ? And he had it made with you <3

You're a great person and I cannot express how much the support means. Thank you for spreading compassion and empathy, that's what makes this world go round :)

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
underground had the most cases of this we have noted more then a dozen just fyi. its so hard to buy any animal today. you just dont know what you will get unless you personally know and have a good rapport with someone. with me for example once people know me they know i will NEVER recc or send someone anywhere that something like this would normally occur. i mean things can and do happen but very rare. sadly most people i speak to online end up learning the hard way when i say dont go here or do this or buy from so and so and end up with heartbreak the first time around. and its not just me like anyone that has many many years of exp and are still honest recc someone and usually we hear well i went with underground "as an example" and then a couple or more weeks later we hear about the issues. its sad and i feel terrible you had to have a bad first exp. the ONLY good that comes out of that is you having the knowledge now and knowing who what and where to ask the right questions. it sucks to have to gain that knowledge this way. and it sucks that ANYONE goes through this. especially when a seller knew they had dealt with this before. i hope i dont come off sounding bad here i dont mean to at all. but im sure you know where im coming from.

the biggest issue with facebook groups is the new experts. what i mean are the new owners who have had their first tort for maybe 2 weeks and now are "experts" in giving advice. then other new owners dont know this and take their wrong advice and the cycle continues. this even goes for some admins.....they have zero idea of what they are talking about and should not be an admin at all.

just know not everyone is like this and MOST of the people here at tfo are good people and even in groups you will always have some good people once you weed out who might be steering you the wrong way.

ReiGuy

NJ
underground had the most cases of this we have noted more then a dozen just fyi. its so hard to buy any animal today. you just dont know what you will get unless you personally know and have a good rapport with someone. with me for example once people know me they know i will NEVER recc or send someone anywhere that something like this would normally occur. i mean things can and do happen but very rare. sadly most people i speak to online end up learning the hard way when i say dont go here or do this or buy from so and so and end up with heartbreak the first time around. and its not just me like anyone that has many many years of exp and are still honest recc someone and usually we hear well i went with underground "as an example" and then a couple or more weeks later we hear about the issues. its sad and i feel terrible you had to have a bad first exp. the ONLY good that comes out of that is you having the knowledge now and knowing who what and where to ask the right questions. it sucks to have to gain that knowledge this way. and it sucks that ANYONE goes through this. especially when a seller knew they had dealt with this before. i hope i dont come off sounding bad here i dont mean to at all. but im sure you know where im coming from.

the biggest issue with facebook groups is the new experts. what i mean are the new owners who have had their first tort for maybe 2 weeks and now are "experts" in giving advice. then other new owners dont know this and take their wrong advice and the cycle continues. this even goes for some admins.....they have zero idea of what they are talking about and should not be an admin at all.

just know not everyone is like this and MOST of the people here at tfo are good people and even in groups you will always have some good people once you weed out who might be steering you the wrong way.

I'm thankful for the good people here. And I will continue sharing my experience regarding this seller, so that others do not make the same mistake.

Since it'll be 6-8 months before I can even think about setting up a new closed chamber, ill be utilizing that time to get to know more of the members here for who they really are and what they are all about.

I will also advise any person looking for a sulcata to consult you and Tom prior to making any decisions. I will advise that there was a member that I purchased from here who gave me an infected baby, thus they should consult with you folks to ensure they are not making a bad choice.

Thanks again for your time and help Greg. I've been keeping a close eye on my snakes and thus far all is well, appetites are all normal, and all making bowel movements, and shedding well, and no signs of what you pm'd me yet. Also, you weren't kidding about the ajax... with the amount of scrubbing, lotion has become a necessity for me! Also found a place to get disposable gloves in super bulk, which will save me some $ vs going to the hardware store.

I got alotta days to mark off the calendar still before the snakes are in the clear but something tells me karma will be on my side ?

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I so hope and pray your snakes didn't somehow get this disease. I had tears falling by the time I read all this. From what I've read about your animal husbandry, you probably have protected your snakes. I don't know anything about this disease. But I would have done the same thing as you. Toss everything and start again. I hope you do because you sound like a good tort owner.?

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
that is actually me lol. i have been talking to him here sadly this baby has been euthanized and it was the right decision as absolutely heart breaking at it may be.
That’s funny! I see you on Facebook all the time but couldn’t find you here. I’m so glad you are helping him!?

ReiGuy

NJ
I so hope and pray your snakes didn't somehow get this disease. I had tears falling by the time I read all this. From what I've read about your animal husbandry, you probably have protected your snakes. I don't know anything about this disease. But I would have done the same thing as you. Toss everything and start again. I hope you do because you sound like a good tort owner.?

I cannot express how much I appreciate you reaching out and your well wishes for my legless friends <3

I've raised all of them from babies and most of them have an estimated lifespan of up to 30+ years, so it would be the most unfortunate of circumstances if they were to face an early grave because of this careless seller (I've never lost one snake in my life. Never even had snake mites or any issues or diseases.)

I've had some of them close to 20 years now. All as tame as my dogs, hook trained, all eating frozen thawed (im allergic to rodents and also do not believe in feeding live prey. I just could never. Rats can also chew through concrete... so why risk putting a live one in there with your snake ?)

So I've just gotta keep remaining positive right now, and 8 months from now I'm praying they'll all still be doing well. I will be crushed to the floor if something happens.

But good news is, my snakes literally have their own private wing of the home. It is one of my favorite places. All of their care occurs in there, including cleaning, maintenance, etc.

My tort and its closed chamber was in a room by itself, very far from there. I also only took care of my tort in the AM, never held it aside from when I had to pick it up to put it in the soaking bowl. And my snakes I care for between 9PM - 11PM, so I am hoping all this, combined with my usual hygiene practices will help.

As soon as I'm in the clear(time wise) and save up again, I will be setting up a new chamber and contacting Tom for a sulcata. My limited time with my little one only grew my passion for sulcatas even more, so I want to raise this next one in her memory. I'll never forget her, such an amazing personality even for a little one :)

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
I thank god I found this forum by accident when I first got my baby over a year ago. He was rubbing his eyes and when I googled it, I found the site. Tom , right away took the time to go over care instructions with me and advise changes. I followed all the advice to the letter. Of course, I was doing everything wrong. I have reached out several times for advice over the past year and each time I have been given help which has resulted in a healthy, smooth shelled, yearling. I hold TFO in highest regard and try to send as many people here as possible who truly want the proper care. I feel the seller should actually be banned from this site as I feel they no longer deserve to be here. Just my opinion. My heart breaks for you. I’m so sorry you had to go through this. Please keep us posted on your other babies ❤️

Attachments

• EEC5CF3F-7B5D-4DE1-B959-4AF784C1F241.jpeg
    EEC5CF3F-7B5D-4DE1-B959-4AF784C1F241.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15

ReiGuy

NJ
I thank god I found this forum by accident when I first got my baby over a year ago. He was rubbing his eyes and when I googled it, I found the site. Tom , right away took the time to go over care instructions with me and advise changes. I followed all the advice to the letter. Of course, I was doing everything wrong. I have reached out several times for advice over the past year and each time I have been given help which has resulted in a healthy, smooth shelled, yearling. I hold TFO in highest regard and try to send as many people here as possible who truly want the proper care. I feel the seller should actually be banned from this site as I feel they no longer deserve to be here. Just my opinion. My heart breaks for you. I’m so sorry you had to go through this. Please keep us posted on your other babies ❤️

I really appreciate you <3 and I am so happy to hear, your little one is thriving and doing well ? It warms my heart whenever I hear about pet owners (of any animal) that treat their pets like family (the only way it should be IMO)

I share the same opinion but at the end of the day, of course, I respect and 100% support the TFO admins' decisions. I believe in second chances but I also believe in always acting with integrity and taking responsibility for my actions. I merely expect the same from others.

I will ensure no other member falls victim to him, however. I will be asking the proper questions publicly each time he posts a for sale ad. I still haven't posted my review either(working on it) but I will will ensure to include all the facts I have, including my text messages, so that the curtain is open for all to see behind.

Together, I feel we can all make this place even better than it is today. And I'm going to try to do my part about educating new members on the right questions to ask sellers, as well as guiding them to the users I know I can trust.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
not that i know of some may be and i dont know. the bad part is this is now all over the country even cases overseas. this could be something that is now here to stay permanently. and if any were released out in the wild then this can affect all species even those that may
I cannot express how much I appreciate you reaching out and your well wishes for my legless friends <3

I've raised all of them from babies and most of them have an estimated lifespan of up to 30+ years, so it would be the most unfortunate of circumstances if they were to face an early grave because of this careless seller (I've never lost one snake in my life. Never even had snake mites or any issues or diseases.)

I've had some of them close to 20 years now. All as tame as my dogs, hook trained, all eating frozen thawed (im allergic to rodents and also do not believe in feeding live prey. I just could never. Rats can also chew through concrete... so why risk putting a live one in there with your snake ?)

So I've just gotta keep remaining positive right now, and 8 months from now I'm praying they'll all still be doing well. I will be crushed to the floor if something happens.

But good news is, my snakes literally have their own private wing of the home. It is one of my favorite places. All of their care occurs in there, including cleaning, maintenance, etc.

My tort and its closed chamber was in a room by itself, very far from there. I also only took care of my tort in the AM, never held it aside from when I had to pick it up to put it in the soaking bowl. And my snakes I care for between 9PM - 11PM, so I am hoping all this, combined with my usual hygiene practices will help.

As soon as I'm in the clear(time wise) and save up again, I will be setting up a new chamber and contacting Tom for a sulcata. My limited time with my little one only grew my passion for sulcatas even more, so I want to raise this next one in her memory. I'll never forget her, such an amazing personality even for a little one :)
Whatever the future holds for your snakes, please know that you did all the right things to protect them. We all wait with you.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

I do know what you mean. There is something about a tortoise that's different. I've had mine for 14 years now but I would have been just as devestated on the day I got him. I waited a long time for a tortoise. Hang in there.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I thank god I found this forum by accident when I first got my baby over a year ago. He was rubbing his eyes and when I googled it, I found the site. Tom , right away took the time to go over care instructions with me and advise changes. I followed all the advice to the letter. Of course, I was doing everything wrong. I have reached out several times for advice over the past year and each time I have been given help which has resulted in a healthy, smooth shelled, yearling. I hold TFO in highest regard and try to send as many people here as possible who truly want the proper care. I feel the seller should actually be banned from this site as I feel they no longer deserve to be here. Just my opinion. My heart breaks for you. I’m so sorry you had to go through this. Please keep us posted on your other babies ❤
I thank God I found them too ?

ReiGuy

NJ
Whatever the future holds for your snakes, please know that you did all the right things to protect them. We all wait with you.
Thank you so much ? I will keep posting updates as time goes by and I also look forward to seeing what all the members and their tortoises are up to :)

ReiGuy

NJ
I do know what you mean. There is something about a tortoise that's different. I've had mine for 14 years now but I would have been just as devestated on the day I got him. I waited a long time for a tortoise. Hang in there.?

Right?? There really is. And I'm so happy to hear you and your tort have been together so long!

I know what you mean about the waiting, Tom Petty was spot on :)

I fell in love with sulcatas when I first saw a big adult in a pet shop as a kid. They of course were not treating it properly (it was free roaming the store basically) but when I saw it, I instantly thought of dinosaurs, which I looooved. As I got older I did research and said well, it's gonna be a while before I can commit to one of these.. And all these years later the time is finally right. I'm in no rush to get another though, as I do get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing everyone else's torts :)

When I reach 8 months with no bumps or signs on any of my snakes, that's when I'm going to begin the process of slowly starting again. I may even wait a full year. I just want to be as certain as possible that nothing will go wrong the next time.

And thanks to Tom and all of you great members here, I now know I can provide the optimal conditions, diet, and environment for a tortoise to thrive. It's just a matter of picking the right breeder next time ???

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Right?? There really is. And I'm so happy to hear you and your tort have been together so long!

I know what you mean about the waiting, Tom Petty was spot on :)

I fell in love with sulcatas when I first saw a big adult in a pet shop as a kid. They of course were not treating it properly (it was free roaming the store basically) but when I saw it, I instantly thought of dinosaurs, which I looooved. As I got older I did research and said well, it's gonna be a while before I can commit to one of these.. And all these years later the time is finally right. I'm in no rush to get another though, as I do get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing everyone else's torts :)

When I reach 8 months with no bumps or signs on any of my snakes, that's when I'm going to begin the process of slowly starting again. I may even wait a full year. I just want to be as certain as possible that nothing will go wrong the next time.

And thanks to Tom and all of you great members here, I now know I can provide the optimal conditions, diet, and environment for a tortoise to thrive. It's just a matter of picking the right breeder next time ???
I was in my 50's when I bought Sapphire. I also wanted a tortoise from the time I was a child. I made my sons promise if I didn't out live him they would take care of him. Just call me mommy dearest ? like in the movie. You might be able to save more by just buying a little bit here and there when stuffs really cheap...

shawnateerow

Maurice
I am so sorry that you're going through this, but know that you are NOT alone. I got 2 hatchlings in august..Bonnie and Clyde. Both with austwickia. Bonnie has it much worse than Clyde. The bumps came, multiplied, dried, and then slouched off. Clyde then shredded alot of skin and lost a couple toenails. He has been thriving since, has not (yet?) Had the bumps return, and is now up to nearly 350 grams!

Bonnie has and had many issues. She lost a couple toenails, has a partially deformed upper beak and palate due to necrosis. Back in Oct or Nov her entire bottom beak fell off completely, due to necrosis. (It's growing back❤ slowly but surely) due to her mouth issues, and swallowing issues, she cannot eat regular food so I dropper feed her puree every day. She was about 34-36 grams when I got her. Back in Oct she got so sick she wouldn't eat anything and got down to 28 grams. I got her 10 days of baytril and electrolyte injections, carrot soaks twice a day, and extra heat..and my girl bounced back. Until February she was doing well, but I couldn't get her past about 38 grams. That month, she passed 3 massive bladder stones..then bounced right back. Since then she has been slowly gaining gram after gram, and is now up to 58. I have a large sulcata outside, Bonnie and Clyde inside, my other baby sulcata coopa inside, and a bunch of cats and rabbits. I do wear gloves and/or wash my hands in between her and anything else, and I wash her soaking dish etc with pure ammonia. I have not had an issue with any of my other animals..even my non austwickia tort who lives in the same room (separate enclosure) as the others. I guess it comes down to how far you're willing to go, how much extra effort you're willing/able to put in...it is not easy, but it is worth it. My Bonnie, even with all of her issues, is so damn spirited that I could never give up on her.
A little funny now..but NOT funny then..3 separate nights months ago, Bonnie went completely limp during or after a carrot soak. I shook her, tapped her, thought for sure she was gone, cried, attempted to make my peace with it, and then she woke back up. 3 times. ? austwickia or not..that little turd is seriously resilient.

Anyway..sorry this is so long..my long drawn out point is that there is hope. I have seen it..and I see it in Bonnie and Clyde every single day.

Attachments

• 20210224_162030.jpg
    20210224_162030.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20201102_134040.jpg
    20201102_134040.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 20201009_141803.jpg
    20201009_141803.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210228_121337.jpg
    20210228_121337.jpg
    955 KB · Views: 21

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
I am so sorry that you're going through this, but know that you are NOT alone. I got 2 hatchlings in august..Bonnie and Clyde. Both with austwickia. Bonnie has it much worse than Clyde. The bumps came, multiplied, dried, and then slouched off. Clyde then shredded alot of skin and lost a couple toenails. He has been thriving since, has not (yet?) Had the bumps return, and is now up to nearly 350 grams!

Bonnie has and had many issues. She lost a couple toenails, has a partially deformed upper beak and palate due to necrosis. Back in Oct or Nov her entire bottom beak fell off completely, due to necrosis. (It's growing back❤ slowly but surely) due to her mouth issues, and swallowing issues, she cannot eat regular food so I dropper feed her puree every day. She was about 34-36 grams when I got her. Back in Oct she got so sick she wouldn't eat anything and got down to 28 grams. I got her 10 days of baytril and electrolyte injections, carrot soaks twice a day, and extra heat..and my girl bounced back. Until February she was doing well, but I couldn't get her past about 38 grams. That month, she passed 3 massive bladder stones..then bounced right back. Since then she has been slowly gaining gram after gram, and is now up to 58. I have a large sulcata outside, Bonnie and Clyde inside, my other baby sulcata coopa inside, and a bunch of cats and rabbits. I do wear gloves and/or wash my hands in between her and anything else, and I wash her soaking dish etc with pure ammonia. I have not had an issue with any of my other animals..even my non austwickia tort who lives in the same room (separate enclosure) as the others. I guess it comes down to how far you're willing to go, how much extra effort you're willing/able to put in...it is not easy, but it is worth it. My Bonnie, even with all of her issues, is so damn spirited that I could never give up on her.
A little funny now..but NOT funny then..3 separate nights months ago, Bonnie went completely limp during or after a carrot soak. I shook her, tapped her, thought for sure she was gone, cried, attempted to make my peace with it, and then she woke back up. 3 times. ? austwickia or not..that little turd is seriously resilient.

Anyway..sorry this is so long..my long drawn out point is that there is hope. I have seen it..and I see it in Bonnie and Clyde every single day.
just remember this remains contagious. and can be spread to others and other wildlife. please remember to keep that in mind. it sounds like you are taking precautions but i have seen this spread many MONTHS later. the issue you will have is can you ever move them outside? i def do not in any way mean to sound rude or neg but its def something to think about.

also to anyone who may try to treat baytril does not work well against this and fortaz did basically nothing. testing shows nothing being really VERY effective with possibly a long term combo mayyyybe having some effect. there is two more sensitivity tests being done now to try again.