Is this that dreaded, vile yellow bump issue?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I am so glad you posted this! I've been wondering about Bonnie and Clyde and how they are doing. That little Bonnie is certainly an inspiration, and a real fighter.

Please keep us updated on her a bit more often. I love reading about her small, but significant, achievements.

ReiGuy

NJ
I am so sorry that you're going through this, but know that you are NOT alone. I got 2 hatchlings in august..Bonnie and Clyde. Both with austwickia. Bonnie has it much worse than Clyde. The bumps came, multiplied, dried, and then slouched off. Clyde then shredded alot of skin and lost a couple toenails. He has been thriving since, has not (yet?) Had the bumps return, and is now up to nearly 350 grams!

Bonnie has and had many issues. She lost a couple toenails, has a partially deformed upper beak and palate due to necrosis. Back in Oct or Nov her entire bottom beak fell off completely, due to necrosis. (It's growing back❤ slowly but surely) due to her mouth issues, and swallowing issues, she cannot eat regular food so I dropper feed her puree every day. She was about 34-36 grams when I got her. Back in Oct she got so sick she wouldn't eat anything and got down to 28 grams. I got her 10 days of baytril and electrolyte injections, carrot soaks twice a day, and extra heat..and my girl bounced back. Until February she was doing well, but I couldn't get her past about 38 grams. That month, she passed 3 massive bladder stones..then bounced right back. Since then she has been slowly gaining gram after gram, and is now up to 58. I have a large sulcata outside, Bonnie and Clyde inside, my other baby sulcata coopa inside, and a bunch of cats and rabbits. I do wear gloves and/or wash my hands in between her and anything else, and I wash her soaking dish etc with pure ammonia. I have not had an issue with any of my other animals..even my non austwickia tort who lives in the same room (separate enclosure) as the others. I guess it comes down to how far you're willing to go, how much extra effort you're willing/able to put in...it is not easy, but it is worth it. My Bonnie, even with all of her issues, is so damn spirited that I could never give up on her.
A little funny now..but NOT funny then..3 separate nights months ago, Bonnie went completely limp during or after a carrot soak. I shook her, tapped her, thought for sure she was gone, cried, attempted to make my peace with it, and then she woke back up. 3 times. ? austwickia or not..that little turd is seriously resilient.

Anyway..sorry this is so long..my long drawn out point is that there is hope. I have seen it..and I see it in Bonnie and Clyde every single day.
Thank you for reaching and I'm so sorry to hear you're battling this yourself. Sending lots of positive vibes your way and hoping your torts will continue to make great strides and your other ones won't get it ?

It's very scary thinking about how easy it can spread but it sounds like you're doing everything in your power to keep your herd safe and that's all you can do. Your torts are lucky to have you and I look forward to many more positive updates on your little guys <3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am so sorry that you're going through this, but know that you are NOT alone. I got 2 hatchlings in august..Bonnie and Clyde. Both with austwickia. Bonnie has it much worse than Clyde. The bumps came, multiplied, dried, and then slouched off. Clyde then shredded alot of skin and lost a couple toenails. He has been thriving since, has not (yet?) Had the bumps return, and is now up to nearly 350 grams!

Bonnie has and had many issues. She lost a couple toenails, has a partially deformed upper beak and palate due to necrosis. Back in Oct or Nov her entire bottom beak fell off completely, due to necrosis. (It's growing back❤ slowly but surely) due to her mouth issues, and swallowing issues, she cannot eat regular food so I dropper feed her puree every day. She was about 34-36 grams when I got her. Back in Oct she got so sick she wouldn't eat anything and got down to 28 grams. I got her 10 days of baytril and electrolyte injections, carrot soaks twice a day, and extra heat..and my girl bounced back. Until February she was doing well, but I couldn't get her past about 38 grams. That month, she passed 3 massive bladder stones..then bounced right back. Since then she has been slowly gaining gram after gram, and is now up to 58. I have a large sulcata outside, Bonnie and Clyde inside, my other baby sulcata coopa inside, and a bunch of cats and rabbits. I do wear gloves and/or wash my hands in between her and anything else, and I wash her soaking dish etc with pure ammonia. I have not had an issue with any of my other animals..even my non austwickia tort who lives in the same room (separate enclosure) as the others. I guess it comes down to how far you're willing to go, how much extra effort you're willing/able to put in...it is not easy, but it is worth it. My Bonnie, even with all of her issues, is so damn spirited that I could never give up on her.
A little funny now..but NOT funny then..3 separate nights months ago, Bonnie went completely limp during or after a carrot soak. I shook her, tapped her, thought for sure she was gone, cried, attempted to make my peace with it, and then she woke back up. 3 times. ? austwickia or not..that little turd is seriously resilient.

Anyway..sorry this is so long..my long drawn out point is that there is hope. I have seen it..and I see it in Bonnie and Clyde every single day.
That's so dang cute!!! Just like a baby bird opening its mouth for mama to feed him.

Looks like I got out of the tortoise rescue business just in time. I would worry about allowing strange turtles and tortoises onto my property.

shawnateerow

Maurice
just remember this remains contagious. and can be spread to others and other wildlife. please remember to keep that in mind. it sounds like you are taking precautions but i have seen this spread many MONTHS later. the issue you will have is can you ever move them outside? i def do not in any way mean to sound rude or neg but its def something to think about.

also to anyone who may try to treat baytril does not work well against this and fortaz did basically nothing. testing shows nothing being really VERY effective with possibly a long term combo mayyyybe having some effect. there is two more sensitivity tests being done now to try again

Absolutely, I am extremely cautious. The baytril for Bonnie back in Oct just got her through her RI or whatever else was going on, did not do anything for the bumps. I don't know that she would ever get big enough to go outside anyway, but she is slowly and surely growing so I play everyday by ear. Clyde is now about 350 grams and thriving, but it will be at least another year before I would consider putting him outside. Please keep us posted @mastershake. Hoping maybe in that year we will get some more info and maybe some sort of solution?? until then, I'm just remaining positive and taking it day by day

shawnateerow

Maurice
That's so dang cute!!! Just like a baby bird opening its mouth for mama to feed him.

Looks like I got out of the tortoise rescue business just in time. I would worry about allowing strange turtles and tortoises onto my property.
Absolutely. And speaking of..I found this ugly thing inside my closed off tortoise pen this morning. Wtf

Attachments

• 20210410_121347.jpg
    20210410_121347.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 38
  • 20210410_122606.jpg
    20210410_122606.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36

ReiGuy

NJ
Absolutely. And speaking of..I found this ugly thing inside my closed off tortoise pen this morning. Wtf
Is that a snapping turtle? Last year when we got a lot of rain and flooding in my area, one of my neighbors discovered a decent sized snapper in their backyard. We live right by a lake and river, so figured it must of made its way over somehow during the storm. I know I'd be shocked if I walked up to pen and found this guy ?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Is that a snapping turtle? Last year when we got a lot of rain and flooding in my area, one of my neighbors discovered a decent sized snapper in their backyard. We live right by a lake and river, so figured it must of made its way over somehow during the storm. I know I'd be shocked if I walked up to pen and found this guy ?
Yes, it is definitely a Snapping Turtle. Probably a female looking for a place to nest or else heading back to water from a nesting site.

Once they have hatched and made it into water, Snapping Turtles virtually never leave the water again unless they are mature females during nesting season.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I just read that snapping turtles can survive in cold water without access to the surface for more than 100 days. They are able to absorb the minimal amounts of oxygen needed through their cloaca. Example of this would be ice capped pond. Pretty impressive.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Ohhh I was. My big ~18 year old sulcata has never shown his manhood before until a few days ago. I bout had a damn heart attack? makes me wonder if that little ugly thing might be a female and been hiding out in my tort pen for a few days now. ?