Is this the beginning of pyramiding?

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Concerned because I noticed what appears to be the beginning of elevated rings. Had to take close up pictures.
Does it look like pyramiding to you guys? I want them to be as smooth as ice! At what age can you start to stop worrying about high humidity and pyramiding?20181019_234900.jpeg20181019_234905.jpeg20181019_234341.jpeg

Brit G

Texas
Humidity rarely dips below 75%, but started misting and soaking 2x daily since noticed. Mist at 7am. Humidity has been hanging out at 90%, then slowly dropping back down to 75% by around 7pm end of day. Heat is 100F on hot side, 78F cold. Temps can get up to 120 hot side and 90 cold, but I am not home so must rely on family to tell me. They open the zipper door a smidge to vent at those times and tell me humidity falls dramatically... Closed chamber greenhouse enclosure. Substrate is predominately reptibark. Humid hide has eco earth, and I keep it moist.

The light fixture is an LED red-blue grow light. They get their UVB from outside for now.View attachment 254887View attachment 254888

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The new growth looks great. The only raised notch I see is the first one, and that is ancient history now.

The temp should never get to 120 anywhere in the enclosure at any time. Something needs to change there. Maybe. lower wattage bulb, or thermostatic control, or both.

I also wouldn't use a "grow" light over a tortoise. They need white light. Grow lights are for plants, not animals.

Brit G

Texas
Thank you for the input, helps put my mind at ease! The grow light is for the seedling grasses, pumpkins, etc, I have growing in pots. The seedlings are growing in pots on the cinder block divide that also separates the two tortoises from one another.

Do you suspect the plant light might hurt them? It's only on for two hours a day. It's a strange color. Not white light at all. (I've noticed they start eating immediately when I flip it on, but that's probably my imagination.)
The new growth looks great. The only raised notch I see is the first one, and that is ancient history now.

The temp should never get to 120 anywhere in the enclosure at any time. Something needs to change there. Maybe. lower wattage bulb, or thermostatic control, or both.

I also wouldn't use a "grow" light over a tortoise. They need white light. Grow lights are for plants, not animals.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the input, helps put my mind at ease! The grow light is for the seedling grasses, pumpkins, etc, I have growing in pots. The seedlings are growing in pots on the cinder block divide that also separates the two tortoises from one another.

Do you suspect the plant light might hurt them? It's only on for two hours a day. It's a strange color. Not white light at all. (I've noticed they start eating immediately when I flip it on, but that's probably my imagination.)
I don't like my tortoise to have anything other than "white" light during the daytime and I like them to have darkness at night. I've seen several cases where colored lights met with them, but none where a plant bulb did any direct harm other than affecting sleep and activity cycles, appetite, or making them nibble on non-food items.

Brit G

Texas
I don't like my tortoise to have anything other than "white" light during the daytime and I like them to have darkness at night. I've seen several cases where colored lights met with them, but none where a plant bulb did any direct harm other than affecting sleep and activity cycles, appetite, or making them nibble on non-food items.

Ah, I see. I'll be careful that it is not on very long around the tortoises. Sleep and activity are important to health... would hate to disrupt those, especially if the changes are gradual and not detectable until serious issues have arisen. Their appetite seems somewhat altered, but only in the sense that it seems to be making their food look more enticing. Who knows.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think that's enough reasons to put the plants someplace else and not near the tortoises enclosure.