Is this the beginning of pyramiding?

ashlyn

Location (City and/or State)
TX
So I recently took over a friend's 2 year old redfoot, and I'm concerned about the shape of his scutes. He looks a little bumpy. Does this look like the beginning signs of pyramiding? I can answer any questions about previous diet and conditions. If it is, what changes do I need to be making?

Attachments

• IMG_6137.jpeg
    IMG_6137.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6118.jpeg
    IMG_6118.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not the beginning, it's been going on for a while.
RF need 80% humidity. The high humidity will get him to start growing smoother. Start now and by the time it's an adult, you likely will hardly notice it.
At two, he can still be in a closed chamber, not an open top table. A pop up greenhouse in pic can be placed over the enclosure. Then wet the substrate from the bottom by pouring warm water into the corners. Getting the bottom layers wet while keeping top layer dry, this helps to prevent shell rot which is common in RF.
1000001352.png

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
So I recently took over a friend's 2 year old redfoot, and I'm concerned about the shape of his scutes. He looks a little bumpy. Does this look like the beginning signs of pyramiding? I can answer any questions about previous diet and conditions. If it is, what changes do I need to be making?
Hello!

It's pyramiding. Not too bad, but it's not the beginning either. As I can tell (not an expert opinion!) it's pure cosmetic and there are no serious underlying problems like MBD (metabolic bone disease).

You may check current living conditions of the tortoise against this care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/ and make adjustments or ask more questions.

As wellington posted above - maintaining high humidity is essential for redfoots. But correct heating/lightning and diet are important as well. So, of course, you can post some details on his previous and current husbandry and we'll try to point out what should be improved.

ashlyn

TX
RF need 80% humidity. The high humidity will get him to start growing smoother. Start now and by the time it's an adult, you likely will hardly notice it.
At two, he can still be in a closed chamber, not an open top table. A pop up greenhouse in pic can be placed over the enclosure. Then wet the substrate from the bottom by pouring warm water into the corners. Getting the bottom layers wet while keeping top layer dry, this helps to prevent shell rot which is common in RF.
View attachment 378317
View attachment 378317
thank you for your advice!

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Yes it is, it's what came with him and what I was told to use. Is there a problem with it?
It could make non edible things look edible. An incandescent flood bulb, not a colored one, is the best option. Also, some red bulbs are spot bulbs and can worsen the pyramiding.

ashlyn

TX
Hello!

It's pyramiding. Not too bad, but it's not the beginning either. As I can tell (not an expert opinion!) it's pure cosmetic and there are no serious underlying problems like MBD (metabolic bone disease).

You may check current living conditions of the tortoise against this care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/ and make adjustments or ask more questions.

As wellington posted above - maintaining high humidity is essential for redfoots. But correct heating/lightning and diet are important as well. So, of course, you can post some details on his previous and current husbandry and we'll try to point out what should be improved.
I'm not sure what humidity his enclosure was kept at as it was not monitored, but I do know there was no soaking, no spraying substrate, and he was fed regular spring mix with nothing else. regular calcium 2x a week. As far as I can tell he was kind of neglected.

As of right now I am looking into getting a hygrometer but I wasn't sure what to go for if y'all have recommendations. so far he's had red leaf lettuce/ collard greens and some vegetables as well as a small amount of fruits twice in a week (I used zucchini, squash, red bell pepper, carrots, watermelon, strawberries) to clarify that is greens with a fruit or veggie to go along with it 2x in a week. I made sure they were all prepared properly for his little mouth to handle it. I've also been misting his substrate 2x a day and making sure to change out his water every day. I can't tell exactly what his heat lamp is but it says 250 v and 660 w, and his uv light is Reptisun 18" 15 watts 5.0 uvb. Again, if y'all have any additional recommendations for better more suitable equipment that would be great.

ashlyn

TX
It could make non edible things look edible. An incandescent flood bulb, not a colored one, is the best option. Also, some red bulbs are spot bulbs and can worsen the pyramiding.
ok, thank you. do you have any certain recommendations that you would use?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!🐢💚 bless you for taking them in!

That is definitely pyramiding, but with the right amendments, it’ll merely be cosmetic.

The red bulb does definitely need switching out, as does the uv.
Diet doesn’t sound too bad so far! These guys actually need a small amount of protein every 7-10 days too.

I think you’ll find this thread I made not too long ago useful to read through, I go over equipment recommendations, levels etc and I include a bunch of diet recommendations at the bottom too!😊

You might also find this one useful in helping you with what equipment to avoid moving forward👍

Hopefully this helps! Any further questions, please ask away🥰

ashlyn

TX
I'm not sure what humidity his enclosure was kept at as it was not monitored, but I do know there was no soaking, no spraying substrate, and he was fed regular spring mix with nothing else. regular calcium 2x a week. As far as I can tell he was kind of neglected.

As of right now I am looking into getting a hygrometer but I wasn't sure what to go for if y'all have recommendations. so far he's had red leaf lettuce/ collard greens and some vegetables as well as a small amount of fruits twice in a week (I used zucchini, squash, red bell pepper, carrots, watermelon, strawberries) to clarify that is greens with a fruit or veggie to go along with it 2x in a week. I made sure they were all prepared properly for his little mouth to handle it. I've also been misting his substrate 2x a day and making sure to change out his water every day. I can't tell exactly what his heat lamp is but it says 250 v and 660 w, and his uv light is Reptisun 18" 15 watts 5.0 uvb. Again, if y'all have any additional recommendations for better more suitable equipment that would be great
Hello and welcome!🐢💚 bless you for taking them in!

That is definitely pyramiding, but with the right amendments, it’ll merely be cosmetic.

The red bulb does definitely need switching out, as does the uv.
Diet doesn’t sound too bad so far! These guys actually need a small amount of protein every 7-10 days too.

I think you’ll find this thread I made not too long ago useful to read through, I go over equipment recommendations, levels etc and I include a bunch of diet recommendations at the bottom too!😊

You might also find this one useful in helping you with what equipment to avoid moving forward👍

Hopefully this helps! Any further questions, please ask away🥰
thank you so much I really appreciate it :)

zovick

10 Year Member!
As Littleredfootbigredheart mentioned, the tortoise would benefit from getting some protein in its diet 2-3 times weekly if not even more as it seems to have been deprived of that food group by its previous owner(s).. It might eat slugs, snails, earthworms, and mealworms. Some people feed them canned dog food also. Way back in the 1960's I used to feed mine Gainesburgers a couple of times a week. They were discontinued in the early 90's.

Here is what they were:

Today, the same type of food apparently comes in pouches like this:

Good luck with your new tortoise!

ashlyn

TX
As Littleredfootbigredheart mentioned, the tortoise would benefit from getting some protein in its diet 2-3 times weekly if not even more as it seems to have been deprived of that food group by its previous owner(s).. It might eat slugs, snails, earthworms, and mealworms. Some people feed them canned dog food also. Way back in the 1960's I used to feed mine Gainesburgers a couple of times a week. They were discontinued in the early 90's.

Here is what they were:

Today, the same type of food apparently comes in pouches like this:

Good luck with your new tortoise!
Could I possibly forage for some protein? I could definitely find earthworms outside, but would other bugs like crickets, grasshoppers, rolly polly/ pill bugs do ok?