Is this weight loss ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
My new redfoot appears to be losing weight, the following is his weight in grams over the course of a week.

Each weight was taken after a long soak and during each soak he pooped.
I have had him eating mushrooms, strawberries, kale, collard greens, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce and spring mix. He eats pretty much every green he gets, most of the mushrooms and some of the berries.

As a background on him, I got him a week ago from someone who didn't know how to care properly, he was in a 20 gallon tank and being fed only berries, and before that he was adopted from someone doing the same I assume because he told them how to care for it.

Is this weight loss normal since I changed his diet to a better one, or since he has a fair amount of roaming space now so he's getting better exercise, or is something else up?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A tort's weight varies throughout the day just like yours does.

To get an accurate picture, try to weigh at the same time each day and... just like humans... try to refrain from weighing more often than once a week.

The weight loss you show isn't much and could easily be pee and/or poop

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Classic sign of a concerned tortoise parent- overly focused on one issue. Try taking the weights monthly and using other guidelines for the weekly checks, like 'does it feel heavy for its size?'

Otherwise, you'll get really, really stressed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.