Location (City and/or State)

aqualungs

Perry, OH

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thought I'd comment on the original question - and then somehow it got off on a tangent about suilcatas and plants???

@Cherryman304 - You have.. found the way to / solved the problem that many have - How to keep the humidity up where redfoot tortoises like it most! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! Sounds like you have read the caresheet.

As far as growing plants in an indoor enclosure? What would be the point?

1 ) If you put enough light in the enclosure to grow plants.. it would be too much light for your redfoot - unless you have a really long tub heavy in 'barriers'.. which would defeat the purpose of providing "walk-around" space!
2 ) if you could / did grow plants that were not toxic.. your redfoot(s) would eat them to the ground before they had a chance to make any growth -- trust me I have tried it.. indoor and out!

Hope this has helped somebody...

aqualungs

Perry, OH
You can grow quite a few things under a 22” T5 UVB. Bulb that your providing your Tort. You won’t grow a forest but will be surprised. I have a lady hair fern that’s thriving, spider plant, Nasturtium, Hibiscus cutting.. all things that can exist in high to low light (except the hibiscus). It creates a nice canopy for shade and cover for your Tort if you do it right.
Otherwise you need a bit more and like someone said you dont want bright light In there. I actually have some pansy and nasturtium seedlings coming up in the enclosure as an experiment. We shall see how well they do. IMG_0005.jpg
I have another area where I am growing his food and rotate plants out for supplement lighting because they won’t thrive as well under one bulb 20”-24” away. This are salads, grass and clover mix trays that I will rotate out. IMG_0005.jpgView attachment 268469

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have a question. What plants can thrive if they are planted in a sulcata indoor tank, staying from seeds? (assuming all the requirements for a good sulcata hatchling enclosure is achieved)
Many people grow their seeds in trays and when they are ready they sink the whole tray into the substrate When the plants are eaten or trampled they just swap trays in and out easily so you have fresh plants for tortoise.
I don't know if you mean to try the coiled bulb to grow plants inside the tort enclosure or if I have misunderstood, but coiled bulbs could damage tort eyes.
Apologies if I'm repeating something you already know.

Cherryman304

Thought I'd comment on the original question - and then somehow it got off on a tangent about suilcatas and plants???

@Cherryman304 - You have.. found the way to / solved the problem that many have - How to keep the humidity up where redfoot tortoises like it most! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! Sounds like you have read the caresheet.

As far as growing plants in an indoor enclosure? What would be the point?

1 ) If you put enough light in the enclosure to grow plants.. it would be too much light for your redfoot - unless you have a really long tub heavy in 'barriers'.. which would defeat the purpose of providing "walk-around" space!
2 ) if you could / did grow plants that were not toxic.. your redfoot(s) would eat them to the ground before they had a chance to make any growth -- trust me I have tried it.. indoor and out!

Hope this has helped somebody...
What fake plants do you use and have you ever had a problem with them eating it or trying to? Thanks for the compliment. I figured I would share the knowledge.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
@Cherryman304 - have never used any "fake" or otherwise in the indoor enclosure.

The few youngsters I'm keeping now simply dig into a big pile of long-fibre moss.. or find a dark place to hide. Their enclosure has a small light over one corner.. that's over a small piece of slate that they eat on... otherwise the rest is "unlit / dark" .

Cherryman304

@Cherryman304 - have never used any "fake" or otherwise in the indoor enclosure.

The few youngsters I'm keeping now simply dig into a big pile of long-fibre moss.. or find a dark place to hide. Their enclosure has a small light over one corner.. that's over a small piece of slate that they eat on... otherwise the rest is "unlit / dark" .
Yeah my little guy burys himself in his hide.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
That's what they do and will do most of their life - mine have for the best part of 20 YEARS .. haha ! They sometimes are on or near their "food-slate" when I turn their light on.. but otherwise they are hiding somewhere.

Too many times ( new keepers in particular ) .. most go digging their babies out of their sleeping spot to feed them or whatever - Imagine how they must feel having this "monster-thing" grabbing them up out of a sound sleep to eat or being expected to dance around or whatever!!! If you have ever heard me say it once @Cherryman304 you'll hear me say it again -- "Set them up / hands off / sit back and watch them!" It has never gotten boring for me. Sometimes they are out and about.. most times they are not. Offer them a small amount to eat - based on the Caresheet here - and they will be your friend for life.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
What fake plants do you use and have you ever had a problem with them eating it or trying to? Thanks for the compliment. I figured I would share the knowledge.
I've got a couple fake Ferns. My Tortoise doesn't try to eat them

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
A good sign of their 'diet' IN-BALANCE.. is they don't try to eat everything in sight. It's far better to feed LESS of the good thing.. than TOO MUCH of the empty foods! Common sense.

Cherryman304

That's what they do and will do most of their life - mine have for the best part of 20 YEARS .. haha ! They sometimes are on or near their "food-slate" when I turn their light on.. but otherwise they are hiding somewhere.

Too many times ( new keepers in particular ) .. most go digging their babies out of their sleeping spot to feed them or whatever - Imagine how they must feel having this "monster-thing" grabbing them up out of a sound sleep to eat or being expected to dance around or whatever!!! If you have ever heard me say it once @Cherryman304 you'll hear me say it again -- "Set them up / hands off / sit back and watch them!" It has never gotten boring for me. Sometimes they are out and about.. most times they are not. Offer them a small amount to eat - based on the Caresheet here - and they will be your friend for life.
I agree whole heartedly besides trying to mist and get humidity right. Lol. I'm with ya. I believe they shouldn't be fooled with as much as possible and let to do what Instinct tells them. I only pull him out when I put food in or soaking time. I just got him a few weeks ago so it's been a intake/examination plus a baby animal and a first time tort "owner" for lack of a better word. I did the same thing I do with any new animal I've ever owned. So when I recieved him care sheets only get you so far and experience is the best teacher. So I came to TFO to find a community of like minded individuals that are willing to share their experiences. When I first received my tort there were a few things I wanted to see to know my tort was ok and in good health. The major 3 were movement, eating, and bathroom Amongst countless others. The first two were quick and easy. The bathroom part well it was a week before I found a turd. I was so happy. Lol. As simple as it sounds it was a good feeling to know his metabolism was working. Good poop too size,texture,color. Lol and I've found countless after. I dis learn my while setup was wrong and damn near every small hatchling setups on YouTube were not ideal and hard on the hatchling. So once again a little research and TFO and problem solved. I'm good If he does his thing and doesnt come out. He just has to get his daily stuff outI need to add some cover this weekend for my project. I still have alot to learn and just trying to get more real life applications instead of a vague care sheet.