Is Tortellini a boy or a girl? Also, worms.

CHARLEENIE

Location (City and/or State)
CA
This is Tortellini, AKA Teeny. She is a rescue from PETCO, I have had her less than 48 hours. She was going to get euthanized because of her blemished face, but I saved her because she is very much alive and well. ( I own another one and have the $$$ to add another family member as well. The enclosure was completed before she came home.) AT LEAST I think she's a she. Can you help me figure which gender they really are?
Also, I have not personally taken her to the vet but PETCO did on Monday. Today I had to take fecal samples to the vet because she has major worms. While I was there I asked for the records and that is what PHOTO 3 means. I really hope I get the results soon and that she recovers. Do worms kill your tortoise??????

Attachments

• 5D72116E-F661-4FFF-8A65-89B10A15C635.jpeg
    5D72116E-F661-4FFF-8A65-89B10A15C635.jpeg
    548.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 9DAC87D4-EF74-498D-925C-83608C6C927B.jpeg
    9DAC87D4-EF74-498D-925C-83608C6C927B.jpeg
    803.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 071689C2-5B0F-44E0-BBDD-EBC5C35178ED.jpeg
    071689C2-5B0F-44E0-BBDD-EBC5C35178ED.jpeg
    656.4 KB · Views: 6

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Worms are not unusual.
Most tortoises have them or will have them and there will be no issue at all.
Heavy infestations do require treatment. It's pretty straight forward and effective.
Russian tortoises are very territorial and pet shops LOVE placing several of them together where they bite each other and get those wonderful injuries.
Unfortunately that is also common.
I'm sure that this guy will bounce back from both issues just fine.
Please do not house this tortoise with any other tortoise.

CHARLEENIE

CA
Worms are not unusual.
Most tortoises have them or will have them and there will be no issue at all.
Heavy infestations do require treatment. It's pretty straight forward and effective.
Russian tortoises are very territorial and pet shops LOVE placing several of them together where they bite each other and get those wonderful injuries.
Unfortunately that is also common.
I'm sure that this guy will bounce back from both issues just fine.
Please do not house this tortoise with any other tortoise.
When mentioning that I had another one, I wanted to highlight that just so people knew I had some knowledge picking this guy up.
My tortoises were introduced to each other, but Charlie (my other one) immediately started to fight. They both have 6x6 enclosures (meaning I have TWO SEPARATE ONES) with UVB lights (12hr one 12hr off cycle) and ceramic heat bulbs for the night time. They both eat the same diet though, and have cuttlebone available as well.

Thank you for your response. My heart ached for Teeny because of his face. I knew that some abuse had happened, and most likely from other torts and not humans. Unfortunately he shows lots of signs of being dominated and beat up; flinching at shadows, and being extremely nervous to take up space. He's getting better though, eating all of his food and noticing that he is safe. The fecal samples come back tomorrow or the next day. The amount of worms was alarming and I wanted to get it checked ASAP.